Skip to content

The Day The Earth Stood Still - Australian 3 Sheet For Sale

Being offered on behalf of someone else who ask me to, condition is, well, not the best...

It is framed but is not drymounted/glued etc etc so can be removed from the frame and rolled and sent. 

Make an offer - PM me, I'll pass it on.

image image

image image

Comments

• I'd say Craig would be interested in this! 
  • Ouch! Only the Australian sun could of done that.
  • edited September 2014
    I'd say Craig would be interested in this! 
    Really? Oh well I'll let him know...
  • If it wasn't faded I would be interested , it would cost a small fortune to bring back to it's

former glory.

• Damn what a shame about the condition!  If that is sun damage, odd that the reds are still present and strong?
  • What is it worth in very good condition?
  • Something that rare would fetch 6-8K I'd imagine. Maybe more?
  • Matt said:
    Something that rare would fetch 6-8K I'd imagine. Maybe more?
    Yes it's very rare but I think that's a bit high for Aussie paper...the last couple US three sheet sales were in the $5,500 range...
  • Yeah but who knows when there's being no public sale of this one, it's all speculation.
  • I'm curious as to what everyone thinks it is worth in its present condition.

• edited September 2014
    Between $500 to $1000
  • Yep, I was thinking the same ballpark.
  • So who's making the first offer?
  • If it wasn't faded I would be interested , it would cost a small fortune to bring back to it's

former glory.

If it wasn't faded do you think I would have dropped you a note?!

:D

I was thinking it was too much restoration (not taking into account the price of said restoration).

I also thought around $500 might be about all it is worth. 
  • David said:

If it wasn't faded I would be interested , it would cost a small fortune to bring back to it's

former glory.

If it wasn't faded do you think I would have dropped you a note?!

:D

I was thinking it was too much restoration (not taking into account the price of said restoration).

I also thought around $500 might be about all it is worth. 

you are a poster Dealer David , so I guess most piece's are for sale :D

• If it was "restored" it would have to be completely airbrushed/repainted which would go very close to putting it into the reproduction category.

• As Bruce would say it would have a "Dipped in paint look".
  • edited September 2014
    John said:

If it was "restored" it would have to be completely airbrushed/repainted which would go very close to putting it into the reproduction category.

I agree, too much work to be done for my liking.

• As Bruce would say it would have a "Dipped in paint look".
    Only the bottom 80%
    :))

Here is a handy checklist to help tell eMoviePoster.com apart from all other major auctions!
    HAS lifetime guarantees on every item - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS unrestored and unenhanced images - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS 100% honest condition descriptions - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS auctions where the winner is the higher of two real bidders - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "buyers premiums" - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "reserves or starts over $1 - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS hidden bidder IDs - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS no customer service to speak of - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "nosebleed" shipping charges - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS inadequate packaging - NOT eMoviePoster.com

• edited September 2014
    Incidentally, I have always said that major fading is THE WORST defect a poster can have, You are faced with two equally bad alternatives. Either leave it as it is, or re-paint over the entire poster (making it a "paint by number" project). Of course, these posters are still worth something, just a small percentage of what an unfaded one would sell for.

I would SO much rather have a poster with paper loss (like the one below), as long as the paper loss in not in significant areas.Now yes, a poster like the one below WOULD require much restoration, but it is only in the writing, and afterwards it will long great and it won't have that "dipped in paint" look (if the right restorer does it).

Here is a handy checklist to help tell eMoviePoster.com apart from all other major auctions!
    HAS lifetime guarantees on every item - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS unrestored and unenhanced images - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS 100% honest condition descriptions - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS auctions where the winner is the higher of two real bidders - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "buyers premiums" - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "reserves or starts over $1 - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS hidden bidder IDs - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS no customer service to speak of - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "nosebleed" shipping charges - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS inadequate packaging - NOT eMoviePoster.com

• Matt said:
    John said:

If it was "restored" it would have to be completely airbrushed/repainted which would go very close to putting it into the reproduction category.

I agree, too much work to be done for my liking.
    I agree with the above. Too much restoration - that said, there'd be a market for it somewhere. I am sure we could trot out examples of movie posters that have sold for a wtf price despite their most obvious [excess] restoration

you are a poster Dealer David , so I guess most piece's are for sale :D

Only the ones with a price ticket on. ;)
  • One should also take into consideration the title and Return on Funds Invested (if flipping is what one is looking at doing)

A restored 'The Glass Key' (above) in any form is not going to get as much for a restored Day the Earth Stood Still in terms of the profit net of the cost of the restoration or as a percentage return.
  • edited September 2014
    John said:

Of course, there have been plenty of posters sold at auctions over the years that originally had massive fading/paper loss, etc but have been heavily restored. Maybe we might see this one turn up at a major auction one day.
  • edited September 2014
    John said:
    John said:

Maybe we might see this one turn up at a major auction one day.
    Possible. The current owner is not willing to spend any money getting it restored.

Then one has to take into account possible price at fall of hammer less cost of restoration and auction fees...is there money in it?
  • If I was getting that restored it would be to keep it not to flip it.
  • Well he doesn't want to restore it and he doesn't want to keep it.
  • David said:
    Well he doesn't want to restore it and he doesn't want to keep it.
    Well my comment had nothing to do with the "seller's" motivation. The discussion above centred on it showing up restored at auction one day.

Why doesn't this anonymous person list it for auction as is or simply name a price.  I would not be shocked if they think they are sitting on a goldmine when really they are not...
  • CSM said:
    Why doesn't this anonymous person list it for auction as is or simply name a price.  I would not be shocked if they think they are sitting on a goldmine when really they are not...

His name is Paul, he lives in Sydney, his name didn't seem relevant to the conversation.

I've suggested the same (ebay) and as he has no idea what to ask he hasn't any clue about naming a price. I really don't think he thinks he is sitting on a goldmine, and he only contacted me to see if I did after he found me online via Larry and Sergey's website. I've done my best to help him but I've already explained the problem due to its condition. 

All I did was offer to see if anyone was interested within the poster collecting community - I've not offered to buy it or take a commission. I've passed on the only offer to date (which was Matt's)
  • Buy it Matty! I'd love too see this restored. Would probably have to go to Jaimie mendez..