Skip to content

Mark's Collection

Thunder Bay OS-1st big purchase early 2000 from Posteritati. Thought I wanted to collect every JStewart one sheet till I saw most of them, or the price tags...Think i overspent on this one...
image #-o 

Comments

• First Insert & Framing. Think I bought it from Rick's Movie Graphics. Don't think they're around anymore. 

• Ahhh memories of overspending on the early purchases! There wouldn't be any collector brave enough to say they never did!

Great to see posters framed and on the wall - Thunder Bay is a very nice one to get the ball rolling with too!
  • Thx, i think it's got good artwork for a minor movie. I'm going to post another from '48-You Gotta Stay Happy- not sure I can convince the wife to look at a picture of a chimp for too long... @-) ...as for over spending, glad I found EMP the past two years.. Mark :D
  • There's a big difference between by being ripped off and paying retail. For instance If a newbie bought some posters from you're online store Dave, they would be paying retail prices, not necessarily paying too much. The tough part is buying posters that have never been auctioned or have never sold online before. When this happens I research what the US posters in that title have sold for in the past..
  • Keep'em coming Mark. I like the Midway, much better than the daybill.

I've overpaid for gear in recent years...pfft it happens.
  • edited October 2014
    There's a big difference between by being ripped off and paying retail. For instance If a newbie bought some posters from you're online store Dave, they would be paying retail prices, not necessarily paying too much. The tough part is buying posters that have never been auctioned or have never sold online before. When this happens I research what the US posters in that title have sold for in the past..
    I responded here, it's a good topic but I did not want to hijack Mark's collection thread. 
  • Found this for $5 in a small shop in northern az, not sure if the signature is authentic, card is water stained, but it's a great find if it's real! image
  • [-O< Hope it is real!
  • Great stuff, Mark. Looking forward to see some more.
  • edited December 2014
    Thanks Fernando, Here are a couple I got a few months ago but just opened. Have started to look at other countries last half year-artwork fantastic! 1938-French Med :  See Below (Charlie edit)
  • edited December 2014
    Yugoslavian (See Below - Charlie Edit)

• A couple more beauties Mark.....there's only one problem, I just sprained my neck. :P
  • Matt said:
    A couple more beauties Mark.....there's only one problem, I just sprained my neck. :P
    Me too - calling lawyer right now!
  • Here are Mark's two images again...

• edited December 2014
    Ocean's is such a great poster.
  • edited December 2014
    Hey! It worked! big deal huh...anyway, really like the "Other Company" artwork in the late 30's.
  • 1942 OS-Clipper Planes-must have been a great way to travel... image
  • I've always really liked the Bombay Clipper one sheet for some reason
  • Thx Chris, it's got great colors. Saw a while ago after I bought it that Dario did a resto job on one so I think I need to send it to him to get ready for framing.
  • CSM said:
    I've always really liked the Bombay Clipper one sheet for some reason
    Yeah, it's the lightning bolt that makes the poster. For me anyway.

• The man has nice taste...
  • Thanks David.  I don't have nearly the collections you all do, but am working on getting there. Not sure yet how to focus my collection, just look for good pieces I can afford and try to get them. I only have about 60+ pieces but its a start. I can't imagine having in the hundreds or thousands as you all do, but hope to one day. Will post more later.

:)
  • Great stuff!
  • I am an accidental collector of volume... :D

I've tried to stay focused of specific 'types' and/or genre which would have kept my collection nice and tight but I am easily distracted also sometimes a great looking piece at the right price is simply too hard to ignore! I think as one is exposed to more and more of what other people collect the more your collection will widen - very few collectors would not have added at least one piece as a result of seeing it in someone else's collection. One of my fav pieces is The Hour Before Dawn 1SH - I wouldn't have thought of it had I not seen the poster in Mel's collection. And now I have it in mine, and on the wall.
  • #$^%!@'s

My favourite collection ;)
  • edited December 2014
    Thanks Charlie. Here's my Obama auto. Got it at the side entrance to the Orpheum Theatre in Phoenix. Friend of mine from Boston is a rabid/fanatical autograph collector and wanted to get Obama's on the recent Time magazine. He signed about 10 on his way in the entrance. He was one of the first to take a auto-pen machine on his campaign stops. His staffers would collect the materials to be signed and then the auto-pen would go to work. Glad mine was signed in person.&nbsp
  • edited December 2014