Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Missed Opportunity To Purchase Great Posters.

HONDOHONDO Member Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭✭✭✭ Le Grande Collector

Do you ever regret you didn't purchase some great posters years ago for prices that by todays standard were ridiculously low prices?

On the 7th of November, 1998 I attended an Auction titled Museum Collection / Major Auction of Mechanical Music at Pickles Auctions in the Sydney, NSW, Australian suburb of Moorebank. The auction was listed as - ''Under instructions from Tom and Chris Coxall due to the closure of their museum in Lynoch, South Aust. and transported to Sydney for Auction, and other vendors''.  

Included in this Auction were 66 titles with multiples of some titles making a total of 113 posters. There were 112 Australian one sheets and one daybill,,this being East Lynne. The posters dated from 1927 to 1932  but mostly from 1930 and 1931.The posters weren't in great condition but there were some great titles among them. To wet your appetite  some of the posters up for auction were Pardon Us ( Laurel And Hardy ) x 3, City Streets x 2, Dishonored  X 1, Check And Double Check X 1, A Free Soul X 1, Palmy Days ( Eddie Cantor with a few different designs ) X 9, Rio Rita x 1, The Light Of Western Stars X 1, The Cisco Kid X 2 & Blackmail X 1 ( Hitchcock - marked poor condition in catalogue).

I checked out the posters on display before the auction and marked down the titles that were in fair to good condition that I would bid on.I bid on them but ended up with only four titles for the amount I had decided on. Would you believe $5? There were so many great titles I should have bid higher for that I could have had restored. Looking at the value of titles such as Pardon Us today I could kick myself that I hadn't bid highter to obtain some classic titles.

Anyone have any similar experiences?

Hondo.

Lawrence

Comments