Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Missing 1950's and 1960's Horror & Sci-FI daybill images.

12346»

Comments

• HONDOHONDO Member Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭✭✭✭ Le Grande Collector
    HONDO said;

U.S.A. insert and Australian duotone images.

Would the missing original release Australian daybill have had an image of a sinister looking Jivaro indian appearing on it, similar to the one which appears on the Australian newspaper advertisement above?
    Lawrence
  • JohnJohn Member, Dealer Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    Australian Lobby cards were printed for this

• PanchoPancho Member Posts: 693 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    Pancho said:
    8g882 FOUR SKULLS OF JONATHAN DRAKE Aust daybill 1959 completely different open coffin artwork

Don't know if there's a nicer version out there?
    Hi all!

Just picked up this version (thanks John!) - essentially the same but with a 'Not Suitable for Children' rating. I'm thinking the red & blue version is the older of the two?

HONDO said:
     ''X'' The Man With The X-Ray Eyes ( 1963 ) previously listed as a missing daybill and possibly released in Australia by Roadshow. A complete mystery as the only release date I can locate is in 1972 and I am still thinking possibly as a Roadshow re-release along with other AIP first release and re-release horror titles Roadshow obtained, many of which had been previously banned in Australia. The above 8 x 10 Australian card has the Australian distributor Blake Films printed on it. Blake films appeared to have released selective AIP product for only a short time early to mid 1960's. A daybill or any other Australian posters would be great to see.
     ( spritz-paper / eBay )

At last an original Australian daybill has surfaced. The actual release date is a complete mystery but should have been in the 1960's.
    Found proof the Blake Films release was screened in Sydney at a midnight screening program on January 1 1967, then at other midnight screenings in Sydney later in January 1967 as well. Possibly first released here in 1966.
    Lawrence
    Pancho said:
    Pancho said:
    8g882 FOUR SKULLS OF JONATHAN DRAKE Aust daybill 1959 completely different open coffin artwork

Hi all!

Just picked up this version (thanks John!) - essentially the same but with a 'Not Suitable for Children' rating. I'm thinking the red & blue version is the older of the two?

I agree that the blue version is most likely the older of the two due solely to the style of the United Artists logos used on the two posters would indicate this.
    Lawrence
  • dedeposterdedeposter Member Posts: 111 ✭✭ One-Sheeter
    HONDO said:

HONDO said:
     ''X'' The Man With The X-Ray Eyes ( 1963 ) previously listed as a missing daybill and possibly released in Australia by Roadshow. A complete mystery as the only release date I can locate is in 1972 and I am still thinking possibly as a Roadshow re-release along with other AIP first release and re-release horror titles Roadshow obtained, many of which had been previously banned in Australia. The above 8 x 10 Australian card has the Australian distributor Blake Films printed on it. Blake films appeared to have released selective AIP product for only a short time early to mid 1960's. A daybill or any other Australian posters would be great to see.
     ( spritz-paper / eBay )

At last an original Australian daybill has surfaced. The actual release date is a complete mystery but should have been in the 1960's.
    Found proof the Blake Films release was screened in Sydney at a midnight screening program on January 1 1967, then at other midnight screenings in Sydney later in January 1967 as well. Possibly first released here in 1966.
    Was that the usual style of poster for Blake Films releases or did they ever spend more than a couple of dollars on design and printing?  :D
    HONDO said:
    HONDO said:
     ( spritz-paper / eBay )

Was that the usual style of poster for Blake Films releases or did they ever spend more than a couple of dollars on design and printing?  :D
    Actually overall this is an above average designed poster. Early 1950s Blake posters did have some colour as seen below with Forbodden Women.

By the 1960s the better designed posters ( by their standards ) were reserved for their bigger titles, but with their sub standard titles they received the appropriate sub standard poster designs. Some of the 1960s designs, You work out the better designs.

If you would care to take the time to check out my Hondo's This And That thread entry from June 2019, you can view some of their better Blake Films posters that are displayed there.

Lawrence

(  John )

Two more Blake Films daybills designed and printed in the 1960s by an unknown printer or printers.

As one can see here, from the early 1970s and into the decade some Blake Films daybills were printed by MAPS and the quality improved somewhat.
    Lawrence
    I think I actually enjoy the really shoddy artwork, they're quite endearing when you see a few of them together.

I fixed that poster for you...

? Sorry, please explain.

Lawrence
    edited December 2020
    HONDO said:

? Sorry, please explain.

It's now in DUOTONE, not COLOUR!
    I think I actually enjoy the really shoddy artwork, they're quite endearing when you see a few of them together.
    If you haven't seen the thread 'Which Are Your Favorite 'B' Team Artwork Monster Daybills?'' it is worth a look. Not only Blake Films examples, but a look at other distributors shody product as well, including the daddy of them all, the Godzilla King Of The Monsters 1960s daybill printing, which everyone seems to like.

Lawrence
    HONDO said:
    If you haven't seen the thread 'Which Are Your Favorite 'B' Team Artwork Monster Daybills?'' it is worth a look. Not only Blake Films examples, but a look at other distributors shody product as well, including the daddy of them all, the Godzilla King Of The Monsters 1960s daybill printing, which everyone seems to like.

That Godzilla poster always gives me the giggles, I'd love to have one. This is my other favourite. 

It reminds me of that botched Italian fresco restoration a few years back.

HONDO said:
    Pancho said:
    Pancho said:

Hi all!

I agree that the blue version is most likely the older of the two due solely to the style of the United Artists logos used on the two posters would indicate this.
    Another example from United Artists where there are two duotone daybill versions is Curse Of The Faceless Man.

The first example above, due to the style of logo appearing on it would establish it also as being the first of these two daybills to be printed. What is interesting about the second version is that the image appears to have been was copied from the earlier UA film Pharaoh's Curse Mummy's face artwork appearing below. The Pharaoh's Curse had been only been released in Australian just a little over two years previously to Curse Of The Faceless Man's release. One has to wonder the reason why this image usage did occur.

Lawrence
  • PanchoPancho Member Posts: 693 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    Ha!

Making a huge face the focal point of a film about a faceless man!