Skip to content

Dating Song Of The South Daybill

There is a  daybill and Australian one sheet of Song Of The South that Bruce has them listed as  1972, 1975, 1980 & 1983 Australian re- releases depending which image to look at and from another website it is listed as an Australian 1975 re-release. I believe it is from a completely different year. Any thoughts?

Hondo

Comments

• Well given it was distributed by Great Union: In 1976 BEF (Film Distributors) was renamed Greater Union Organisation Film Distributors. In 1982 it was renamed Greater Union Film Distributors, and became the distribution arm of Greater Union cinemas. In 1987, Greater Union Film Distributors merged with Village Roadshow Distributors.

• Seeing it's Greater Union on the poster we will rule out 1972 & 1975 completely .Is it 1980 or 1983 or another date based on some information I have found? Another year maybe?

Hondo

• Can't be 1980.
  • Its also listed a couple of times as a 1970 release ie....

http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/archiveitem/6777706.html

Obviously later than that,

• Rule out 1983. It's between 1976 and 1982. 

Hondo

• HONDO said:

Rule out 1983. It's between 1976 and 1982. 

It can't be 1976 because that was the year BEF (Film Distributors) was renamed Greater Union Organisation Film Distributors.

It can't be before 1982 because in 1982 Greater Union Organisation Film Distributors waas renamed Greater Union Film Distributors - which is the name on the poster
  • David said
    It can't be 1976 because that was the year BEF (Film Distributors) was renamed Greater Union Organisation Film Distributors.

It can't be before 1982 because in 1982 Greater Union Organisation Film Distributors waas renamed Greater Union Film Distributors - which is the name on the poster.

Firstly I said 1976 because BEF & GU releases were possible within the one year.

Secondly before I reply to the second part of your comments above, I understand you are saying the film has to have had a re-release 1982 or later?

Is this right? When I receive your response I will reply back with my thoughts.

Hondo 

• HONDO said:
    David said

It can't be before 1982 because in 1982 Greater Union Organisation Film Distributors was renamed Greater Union Film Distributors - which is the name on the poster.

Firstly I said 1976 because BEF & GU releases were possible within the one year.

Secondly before I reply to the second part of your comments above, I understand you are saying the film has to have had a re-release 1982 or later?

Is this right? When I receive your response I will reply back with my thoughts.

1. Yes, that is possible having a BEF and GU in the same year
    2. Yes, but with the possibility of course of a cross over period
    However, I have not looked into actual newsprint material to support either argument - I'll leave that up to you now you know how to post images. 
    ;)
  • The only newspaper advertisement I could find on Trove, and remember post 1954 material is limited, is an advertisement  for a screening of Song Of The South plus Dumbo in August, 1983 at the Starlight Twin Drive- In Theatre. in Canberra, ACT. This supports David's information.

My concern is Song Of The South was classified by the Australian Censor for public exhibition on 35mm with a G rating way earlier on the 1st of November, 1978.The applicant being GUO Film Distributors. My questions are as follows. 

Why did the film take a little under five years to be released from time of classification to playing in cinemas? Was Song Of The South screened earlier than the Canberra screenings and it most likely was and if so when?

Hondo.   

• edited April 2015
    I suspect there were more sensitive issues at hand, mainly that this film was considered in later years (by some) to be racist - it was perhaps shelved locally at the time (of the approval) for those reasons - one would have to investigate any racial issues in Australia at the time.

Apparently it was re-released by Disney in 1980, but I wouldn't have a clue if that happened in Australia.

It was actually last officially re-released by Disney in 1986 worldwide (40th anniversary), although I do not know if this applied to Australia but I suspect it does, so I would not be surprised if that poster is actually 1986 (specially as it cannot be 1980) which would then actually fit the company's (GU) name changes the following year. Disney has stopped re-releasing this movie altogether due to its non PC content.

As far as the wide variety of dates that empovieposter.com attributes to this poster - really I have no idea, I can only assume a lot of alcohol and a dartboard is used when handing out dates for Australian posters.

Most of us know the song well - "Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah" won the 1947 Academy Award for Best Song
  • The advertising on the Starlight Twin Drive-in Advertisement  for Song Of The South has exactly the same top image and  wording of -'' Zip-A-Dee Doo-Dah. We're headin' for the laughin' place! The story of Brer Rabbit, Brer Bear & Brer Fox as the daybill & one sheets in question.

The posters have to be at least from  1983 or perhaps a little earlier.

Homdo 

• HONDO said:

Perhaps. Possible. But I am not convinced.

IMHO one advert at a Drive-In is not proof of a re-release season, I don't even know if Drive-Ins followed the same release dates as 'normal cinemas

For a long time Australian distributors have been known to do their own thing when it comes to re-releases for Disney films, not following the USA release date churning them out every three or four years (RKO was quite bad at it post war years). 

Now I am not saying this is the case here - so what else you got? 
    :D
  • So,
    HONDO said:

There is a  daybill and Australian one sheet of Song Of The South that Bruce has them listed as  1972, 1975, 1980 & 1983 Australian re- releases depending which image to look at and from another website it is listed as an Australian 1975 re-release. I believe it is from a completely different year. Any thoughts?

Hondo

So, do you think its best if sellers describe the poster as early 1980s releases rather than trying to pin down an exact date?
  • edited April 2015
    David said:

HONDO said:

Perhaps. Possible. But I am not convinced.

IMHO one advert at a Drive-In is not proof of a re-release season, I don't even know if Drive-Ins followed the same release dates as 'normal cinemas

For a long time Australian distributors have been known to do their own thing when it comes to re-releases for Disney films, not following the USA release date churning them out every three or four years (RKO was quite bad at it post war years). 

Now I am not saying this is the case here - so what else you got? 

Nothing,at the moment but still working on it. I believe the advertisement for the drive-in matches the daybill & one sheet so this dates the release as at least being 1983 or before and not 1986.

Hondo

Original daybill in question and the 1983 advertisement. Notice the similarities.

Hondo.

• It's a double feature (in field 1 no less!) so my question is still, is that an actual national re-release that would have a poster accompanying it?
  • I'm not saying, at this time anyway ,that this 1983  release in Canberra  was part of  an actual national official re-release but what I am saying is that the advertisement and the daybill are very similar in design to think the  daybill & one sheet were printed for this release.

Hondo

• I would have thought that it would have been released at the cinemas first and only reach the Drive Ins later.

• Guys we need to use all this Aussie paper brain power to discuss much more important things like why can't I find a DOA or Black Angel daybill?
  • edited April 2015
    John said:

I would have thought that it would have been released at the cinemas first and only reach the Drive Ins later.

Probably was but there are no Trove records for city releases or even much else for the eighties that are available on their site at the present time to check. It is mainly Canberra  every time .Pity more recent newspapers aren't made available on Trove but I suppose it is an expensive and far too time consuming to having this done in a hurry

Hondo

• HONDO said:
    .Pity more recent newspapers aren't made available on Trove but I suppose it is an expensive and far too time consuming to having this done in a hurry

Hondo
    Time you made a trip to the national library me thinks, take your bed...  ;)
  • John said:

I would have thought that it would have been released at the cinemas first and only reach the Drive Ins later.

Only if it was a national cinema release in the first place.

Sort of thing Craig would know about...
  • CSM said:
    Guys we need to use all this Aussie paper brain power to discuss much more important things like why can't I find a DOA or Black Angel daybill?
    Well, I know someone who has a DOA daybill. I'm hoping he might sell it to me.
  • I never said that.
  • DOA?
  • edited April 2015
    Sven said:
    DOA?

Hondo

• Thanks Hondo!
  • A great noir - luminous poison!
  • edited April 2015

The original version much superior to the 1988 remake. We seemed to have taken a wrong turn with this topic but it's all good.

Hondo.

• edited April 2015
    John said:
    CSM said:
    Guys we need to use all this Aussie paper brain power to discuss much more important things like why can't I find a DOA or Black Angel daybill?
    Well, I know someone who has a DOA daybill. I'm hoping he might sell it to me.

Typical  ;)