Skip to content

Poster Science

edited May 2014 in Professional Restorers
Alain Bourgouin is in South East Kent in the UK. I've heard more negative than positive reports about him and judging by his website he doesn't want to disclose too much information.

Comments

• :-S b-( :@) :-O
  • ^what she says....oh wait..
  • And yet they are LAMP Approved - ridiculous, so much for protecting the hobby. 

LAMP Approved, what does it mean to be an approved restorer, what was the criteria. All it means you paid money and you got a sticker. BAH!

I've sat on boards of industry association (retail and wholesale), if you joined you had to meet certain criteria, you got a sticker for your shop window and could use the logo on stationery etc etc - if you breached the rules you were dumped; if you were dumped and you still used the logo we took you to court - well we threatened to, compliance quickly followed.
  • Very well said David. That's a very valid question. LAMP has no value to me these days. It would appear to be some sort of certificate. It was a valid one for this guy before he let himself and his business. ..and customers down. I would like to hear if others have a more positive experience with this guy.
  • I do appreciate LAMP as a resource (or at least for trying to be a resource - and really one the first ones around) but, yes, I too agree their whole "Approved Restorer/Dealer/Whatever" system is a bunch of BS.
  • Yup - the whole 'approved' thing should be dropped - it suggest by the mere statement that members abide by a code of conduct (which even if there is is not actually enforced) and therefore is misleading, specially to noobies to the hobby.
  • edited January 2016
    I've had one poster restored so far:

USA one sheet 'Diamonds are Forever' - restored by - Alain Bourgouin - Kent UK. 

He was very helpful, I would advise to make sure you have a completion date, as he seems to be very busy, so keep on top of schedule. 

Prices: £65 to linen back a US one sheet and £10 every 15 minutes for all sort of restoration

I would definitely use him again.

I would like to try a business in London as well, when I do I'll let you know how it went.

• If it's Graham Bignal, I'd hold back...

How long-a-go did you use Alain??  As several members have had problems with him?
  • Paul, I used him in august 15', I needed to keep on top of him - completion date and order, he seemed a little disorganised to me.

Not sure if the £15 every 15 mins is a good price, no probs with the linen backing and restoration, although he is the only person i've used so far and have no other to compare him with, just my opinion for what it's worth :)

The London business I was going to try is The Gallery - Colville place -  just to try another person.

Since my last post above I was thinking of having a 50's poster restored, then decided to frame it as is, so didn't use them.

Any info on who to use would be most helpful.

I don't know who Graham Bignal is, but thanks for the advice :)
  • I used him for my first ever backings...I thought he was good at the time... But now having seen others work I can safely say I wouldn't use him again. Very slow and  the quality was way short of what others achieve for less money.
  • Merleboy1963 - who would you recommend in the UK? - i'm on the south coast  - hampshire.

• I live in the UK myself and have only used two restorers from the UK, and would not go back to either.

It's more chew sending overseas, but the results are worth it.
  • Paul said:
    I live in the UK myself and have only used two restorers from the UK, and would not go back to either.

It's more chew sending overseas, but the results are worth it.
    Agree with Paul. Best to go overseas.  I am surprised Alain B is still in business, given the problems he's had in the past.