Skip to content

How long have you been collecting posters?

Not sure if we've run this thread yet but with Eisenhower's post thought it would be interesting to see the experience in years we have on the forum...

I started in 95/96 but didn't really start collecting originals only until 98 so ~17 years now.

How about everybody else?

Comments

• Bought my first 3 or 4 around '99/'00? around then- remember using the huge movie poster poster price book by Warren? Recently got started back into it more recent posters (friend worked display for a movie theater) and in early 2013 started buying older originals. Put me down for 2 years in collecting originals.  :D
  • this long...

• edited February 2015
    I'm probably the freshman with only four years and seriously have lots to learn hence me joining the forum, should have done it when I started! Prior to that my father in law got me into older movies that I knew nothing about...Casablanca what's that..so I watched as many of the old movies as I could , most likely lots of movies i have not watched and heard of which are probably gems... so was interested in connecting to movies via original posters Your picture was a good laugh Dave! :))
  • This forum is only 11 months old....when do we celebrate a year? That day we sent out invitations?  
  • Matt said:

This forum is only 11 months old....when do we celebrate a year? That day we sent out invitations?  

Cool - way to hijack a thread cowboy!
  • I hate to say this but just over 40 years........ Not constant as home life stops you for a while now and then...
  • Wow Paul! Bet those early years saw lots of opportunity? Like wondering into an antique store and buying rare gems for some coins?
  • David said:

Matt said:

This forum is only 11 months old....when do we celebrate a year? That day we sent out invitations?  

Cool - way to hijack a thread cowboy!
    I'll do what I please dogface and it's sexy legs thank you very much!
  • Bought my first batch of posters 20 years ago, when I was 15. Had some of those tacked to my room's walls for years.
    About 7 years ago I started selling stuff online and researching on movie poster prices -to sell some of the posters from that batch- I discovered 2 things. Most of what I had was crap -pricewise- and there was some other cool posters I never knew of. So I started selling some of what I had to get new stuff I wanted and ended up like a poster junkie.
  • Like a lot of collectors I started furiously buying almost everything that came my way and a time later I got REALLY interested in fewer themes/films and sold almost everything that didn't fit there.
  • Sven said:

Wow Paul! Bet those early years saw lots of opportunity? Like wondering into an antique store and buying rare gems for some coins?

It did, but collecting was not like now-a-days. There was no internet, so you had to travel to a film fair, or a shop that sold them, usually a comics shop. So if you bought 5-6 a year you were doing well. I did bag a few bargains, but when I look back wish I'd spent more on posters and not so much on Cine films etc..
  • edited February 2015
    My first poster was an original American Graffiti given to me when the film was first released by a family friend who was projectionist, I pinned it to my wall. He would give me some new releases from time to time and I would add those or replace others, some I would throw away when replacing them but mostly they went into the wardrobe, because I was a bit of a hoarder collector. 

I don't remember how many I had when I cut the apron string but I had a few, they stayed in the wardrobe at my mum's after I left (I was single, flatting with other single male friends and frankly collecting paper wasn't the priority). After I got married mum made me take the old posters, I threw away a lot because they just weren't relevent to me anymore, I keep some favs, particularly movies I liked. Over the years I'd pick up the odd one from time to time (rarely) I certainly can't say I was a movie poster collector per se, but I was into collecting old stuff through my 20s and 30s - usually to do with the business I was in, so I would collect old tennis raquets, old golf balls, old ad/signs, old firearms, anything with history - it always seemed a shame so much history would be dumped, saving history was enjoyable.

It wasn't until I moved to Sydney that I [a] had a house not full of kids and [b] had room enough to spread out -so for whatever reason I pulled out what I had, liked what I had and started searching for more.

It was about then it really got away on me... 
  • Geez, I'm a poster geezer.  The first one sheets I got were from THE TIME MACHINE, ANIMAL WORLD, and BLOOD AND ROSES way, way back in 1963 ( lawdy, lawdy 52 years).  Later a friend who worked at the local movie house passed along the '64 re release half sheet from THIS ISLAND EARTH and the insert from COMEDY OF TERRORS plus a few stills.  Got my first Bela Lugosi poster about the same time, a half sheet from RETURN OF THE VAMPIRE (the one on the right) for 4 or 5 very dear dollars. Cat not included.image
  • Damn and all this time I thought you were a stud of a young man...  So if we ever decide to have a poster showdown (damn good idea btw) I would need to seed you and Paul 1/2 or visa versa...

Ohhh man...  *-:)

I can see it now.  VMPF Championship Poster Tournament.  We seed from the most experienced collectors down and then match them up with a different theme every week. Forum members vote...

Thoughts???

• Paul and Lyn are our elder statesmen.  Respect your elders plebs
  • That's right you whippersnappers, show some respect or Paul and I will crack your shins with our canes.  And you kids, get off my lawn.
  • I actually don't remember...it's a sickness I have, and I am ok with admitting that.

At a guess I would say um 10 to 15 years, somewhere in there...fark I am old!

Bought a bunch of Eastwood stuff for the films I loved, and basically just didn't stop.

And yep, those Eastwood's still be up on my wall.image

• I clearly remember those Eastwoods....in the entrance hall...magnificent Ves. 
  • Yep, jollyfine.

• Wow...being a collector before @ Day must have been hard. I can't imagine finding posters without internet! Paul you must have real treasures there!!