Skip to content

March 2015

13»

Comments

• .... as for horizontal poster art I'm still waiting to snag a Quad! Older titles seem to be elusive at auction time.... :-?
  • Once you do you'll be hooked..   Older titles are scarce to non-existant as most late 40's back over don't exist, due to the war, paper drives, etc. I always live in hope something will surface one day....

Nice poster Mark, I do pick up Half-sheets myself now and then.
  • It depends on the art.  If the primary art is horizontal, half sheet are killer.  But they don't usually change the art too much from the one sheet.  I traded up my Dial M 1/2 to a 3 sheet because I wanted more of the phone cord..  Cat on a Hot Tin Roof is another great example of horizontal art. You also get more of Bob Peak's Apocalypse art on the half sheet.

Great score!  You like Cary Grant?  I think I have a father goose if you want it...
  • edited March 2015
    Paul said:
    Once you do you'll be hooked..   Older titles are scarce to non-existant as most late 40's back over don't exist, due to the war, paper drives, etc. I always live in hope something will surface one day....

Yeah, I usually never see older 30s/40s Quads-have not read in detail about the Br recycling efforts during the war, but can imagine they got ground up! :(( ....Thanks!
  • edited March 2015
    Yeah, I also like the Advise & Consent Half, briefcases with names looks neat.
    Charlie said:
    Hmmm....father goose, yeah, C Grant is one of my favorite actors...I still have that Ted Kennedy auto so a trade could work out... :-\"
  • edited March 2015
    Charlie said:
    It depends on the art.  If the primary art is horizontal, half sheet are killer.  But they don't usually change the art too much from the one sheet.  I traded up my Dial M 1/2 to a 3 sheet because I wanted more of the phone cord..  Cat on a Hot Tin Roof is another great example of horizontal art. You also get more of Bob Peak's Apocalypse art on the half sheet.

Great score!  You like Cary Grant?  I think I have a father goose if you want it...
    I agree with Charlie. If the art is horizontal then the only way is the HS. Reason why to me the BEST artwork for say Ford's Searchers is the HS (and certain LC). You get that wonderful Ford ' s landscape and horizon in its full glory. And you dont have any lettering on the horizon of the HS unlike in the OS which has it and it just spoils it for me.
  • There are reasons they are called Portrait and Landscape, as nice as a portrait is, I do prefer landscapes...
  • @Rosa...exactly! Just found the Searchers HS-fantastic poster! The writing looks better below the artwork.
  • edited March 2015
    Sven said:

Huh?...I kinda like HS's-this one is not in the best of shape but should restore nicely...less paper for the money? I kinda think the compact designs of HS's are better than the OS's- Old Man & the Sea...thanks!

I guess the HS works in some cases and not in others. Thunderball HS or One Sheet....One sheet please :)

I find some of the Hitchcock HS far more appealing to the One Sheet and yes they have their place in compact spaces.

True! ...checkout the "Advance British Quad" on HA! Great extra action scene artwork!
  • I am with you all the way on that advance THunderball quad Mark!

• Speaking of HS, on it's way in the mail...looks like only minor restoration to get it cleaned up.

• Which is why HS make great posters. Nice pick up.
  • James Stewart, another great actor. Was that from Movie Poster Exchange?
  • Matt said:
    James Stewart, another great actor. Was that from Movie Poster Exchange?

No Matt it was from ebay. It's from the R58 release. The one from Movie Poster Exchange was from first release. style B. The R58 has the same artwork as first release style A, except different colour shadings.

This one is for framing and hanging :) 

• Thanks for clearing that up, I thought I'd seen the title somewhere.
  • WOW Sven! Nice Stewart! I'm salivating over that one for sure! I saw that it's an R58, but what great colors/artwork for a re-release! ...I have too little skill or patience for ebay, but I need to get some! =D>
  • WOW Sven! Nice Stewart! I'm salivating over that one for sure! I saw that it's an R58, but what great colors/artwork for a re-release! ...I have too little skill or patience for ebay, but I need to get some! =D>
    Thanks Mark! I think we both did well with our HS's :)
  • @Rosa...exactly! Just found the Searchers HS-fantastic poster! The writing looks better below the artwork.
    I'm glad you like it Mark!! Love John Ford.
  • Mirosae said:
    @Rosa...exactly! Just found the Searchers HS-fantastic poster! The writing looks better below the artwork.
    I'm glad you like it Mark!! Love John Ford.

Agreed! Ford was great director and storyteller. Was just reading the backstory on Ford's direction of Mr. Roberts, and the clash between Ford, Fonda and Cagney...great stuff!
  • Oh...Is that in a book about JF? I thought I read it all about JF. .clearly not! :-?
  • edited March 2015

I actually read it on Wikipedia the other day when I was looking up who the directors were for Mr. Roberts... from Wiki...

...The movie was directed by John Ford, Mervyn LeRoy and Joshua Logan who was uncredited. While directing the film, Ford had personality conflicts with actors Henry Fonda and James Cagney.[4] When Ford met Cagney at the airport, the director warned that they would "tangle asses," which caught Cagney by surprise. Cagney later said: "I would have kicked his brains out. He was so goddamned mean to everybody. He was truly a nasty old man."[5] The next day, Cagney was slightly late on set, and Ford became incensed. Cagney cut short the imminent tirade, saying: "When I started this picture, you said that we would tangle asses before this was over. I'm ready now – are you?" Ford backed down and walked away and he and Cagney had no further conflicts on the set.[5]...

Good stuff!...While Cagney may not have been a big guy...don't think I would've wanted to tangle with him either...

:D
  • Oh yes!!! That sounds like old good John Ford! Just print the legend...that man was a pain in his own ass @ Hehe thanks for sharing Mark!! :)>-
  • I'm going to add this in here - technically it wasn't 'acquired' in March 2015 but it was restored in March...

Hot Spot (1941) AU1SH, the movie was re-titled "I Wake Up Screaming" - I imagine this is the only Australian One Sheet for the original title around.

• Awesome poster! Nice restoration-your restorer does wonders with water lines. The font for the first name contrasts so well with the last name font, the use of color against the gray/blues...the red title letters which are "off line", her legs behind the names/title...great piece...
  • This was poatsge add-on to some OS's a while ago...1934 HS. Never heard of the movie, but decent images...good shape for '34!

photo CC3EEA2F-F92B-4F6B-BAD9-2B4B334F3271_zpsvkizkbsm.jpg
  • I said it before but that's a great looking one sheet David (especially after being cleaned).  It's an odd proto-noir film too.  The alternate title would have you thinking it is really hard boiled - it has elements certainly but with comedic sprinkles as well.  Kind of like Hollywood didn't know what to do with the material at the time.  WW2 sorted that out nicely...
  • Proto-noir huh? I did not know that - must watch and see how it compares to later more established titles then.
  • Finally picked this up after much want:

Or at least I think it is in the tube.  Jason packed it so well, I'll have to use tools to get it open.
  • Indeed great shape for 1934!

Nice poster Charlie, movie was lost (in translation) on me
  • Charlie said:
    Finally picked this up after much want:

Or at least I think it is in the tube.  Jason packed it so well, I'll have to use tools to get it open.
    He did the same with a poster I just recently bought from him. Very well packaged.