Skip to content

Worst artwork

Comments

• Impossible to tell the difference!  :-/
  • edited May 2015
    David said:
    Impossible to tell the difference!  :-/

That is one of the reasons I posted the daybill .The US insert does show the difference.

Hondo

• edited May 2015

This is bad. Re-issue poster of The Great John L. The likeness of Linda Darnell is underwhelming to say the least. This daybill must rank as one of the worst I have seen.

imageimage

This is Linda Darnell's image taken from a U.S. The Great John L lobby card. This is the image or something similar that the Australian artist ( if we can say this without laughing ) would have had to work from. The alternative explanation is the artist had no artwork at all and was told to draw an image of a boxer and Linda Darnell and this is the result.

Hondo

• oh dear  :(
  • I think the re-issue posters are in a league of their own...not quite sure what "sport" they are playing.

I still think that the crap-tastic-ness of them in a whole collection would be awesome to behold!

• If you think the daybill poster images are bad and you are haven't visited my thread titled Name The Stars Of The 1950's Quiz it's worth a visit to see how badly drawn were a lot of the 1950's daybills.

Hondo

• This is pretty bad ...

.image

• It is bad, but I can at least see the resemblance...
  • It is bad, but I can at least see the resemblance...
    Looks like this guy at a glance

• Hacking into daybills :D
  • Sven said:
    Hacking into daybills :D

It's nice to see a balance between the good and the bad daybill artwork.. Have a look at the W.E.Smith, Marchant & Co. and Chromo Print and you will see examples of why people love daybills.

Hondo

• HONDO said:
    Sven said:
    Hacking into daybills :D

It's nice to see a balance between the good and the bad daybill artwork.. Have a look at the W.E.Smith, Marchant & Co. and Chromo Print and you will see examples of why people love daybills.

Hondo

Loving the daybill threads , it'd made me add some to my want list. Whereas I used to buy a poster for the movie I now want them for the artwork... stone litho and saturated colours are attractive. Hence me buying captain Clegg daybill! I will post a worst artwork from a daybill tonight
  • edited May 2015

Sven said

Loving the daybill threads , it'd made me add some to my want list. Whereas I used to buy a poster for the movie I now want them for the artwork... stone litho and saturated colours are attractive. Hence me buying captain Clegg daybill! I will post a worst artwork from a daybill tonight

Love Captain Clegg ( aka Night Creatures ) myself and Sven have you noticed on the printer's credits at the bottom after Advertising & Commercial it shows fa0741 and have you wondered what that stood for? 

If you don't know already fa0741 is a primary ( Red ) colour that has numerous harmonious colour schemes to choose from. A. &. C. printed daybills using and crediting fa0741 in the early 1960's for various studios daybills. Other great examples of using this colour are Cape Fear, Lonely Are The Brave, The Outsider, The Phantom Of The Opera, Splendor In The Grass.

Looking forward to your example of some bad daybill artwork.

Hondo

• edited May 2015
    Thanks Hondo. I had no idea what fa0741 was, thanks for shedding light on this! 

Ok. Does anybody know the poster this belongs to ? It's actually quite a nice poster, but the below image is a bit of a shocker.

• edited May 2015
    @Hondo
    I have never seen those numbers on the poster before (or more to the point, noticed them) but I don't believe #FA0741 is a primary colour; a primary colour is one without any mix of other colours to achieve that colour which would make #FA0000 as the primary colour (Red) - Green is #00FF00 and Blue is #0000FF.

#FA0741 appears to be a good base colour where it can be shaded by adding black to achieve some excellent (moody) results, here some variations of FA0741 by simply adding black

@Sven - looks like a 'beach' themed poster?
  • You are on the ball David. Pic#2
  • edited May 2015

fa0741 hex colour is comprised of Red,Green & Blue. This colour has a CMYK color model, used for the printing process that consists of Cyan, Magenta, Yellow and key (black ).

Sorry I can't find where I originally read and noted that it was a primary colour.

Whatever the correct category fa0741 falls under I have at least brought it to your attention

.image

.One of the best examples of fa0741

Hondo

• Sven said:

Ok. Does anybody know the poster this belongs to ? It's actually quite a nice poster, but the below image is a bit of a shocker.

It is from the rare Australian one sheet of The Endless Summer. It does not appear on the daybill. Is it yours Sven?

Hondo

• Unfortunately not mine Hondo. Would love to own one.
  • I think the re-issue posters are in a league of their own...not quite sure what "sport" they are playing.

I still think that the crap-tastic-ness of them in a whole collection would be awesome to behold!

I have been asking to see that collection for years!! Eye candy!!
  • Despite the dodgy surfer chick, Endless summer is a nice poster. One the sad casualties that went from my collection early on and has never returned.
  • It's
    Rick said:
    Despite the dodgy surfer chick, Endless summer is a nice poster. One the sad casualties that went from my collection early on and has never returned.
    A lovely one so the poster itself does not belong in this thread . It will return to you Rick!
    Will you lot stop picking on Aussie artwork. I love these. 
    As for Endless Summer, I've offered the buyer four times what he paid for it but it's not coming back. At least i still have the daybill.
  • edited May 2015

The Destroy all Monsters certainly is fun. You probably will like this one Rick.

Hondo

• No but I'll find a photo of my Godzilla which is even `better'
  • Rick said:
    No but I'll find a photo of my Godzilla which is even `better'

Rick said:
    No but I'll find a photo of my Godzilla which is even `better'

I have three duotone daybill images but this one takes the cake. The friendliest monster you would ever wish to meet. It this the one you mentioned Rick?

Hondo

• That's the one. Love it!
  • Brilliant!