Skip to content

Female Western Stars In Action Quiz.

To test the water. Roll up and have name the big star? Have a go at no cost. No prizes for a correct answer but it will make me smile.

Hondo

Comments

• edited June 2015
    You smile? Well wonders will never cease. :D 

Maureen O'Hara
  • I'm smiling as I ask do you possibly know the name of the film as well?

Hondo

• edited June 2015
    Well you did not ask that...but as I have a big soft spot for Redheads (not Westerns): The Redhead from Wyoming (1953)

• I know I didn't ask but I was anticipating you would get the answer and when I asked for the film you would possibly send some footage and lo and behold here it is. Loved it and Maureen O'Hara is 94 years old bless her heart.

Hondo

• edited June 2015
    Something about redheads...

Hands up all you redheads! You may well be raising your hands but isn’t your hair bleached white blonde now? Or perhaps you’ve dyed it dark brown? Or worse still, black? You’re a redhead in denial all right, but now it’s time to come out of the closet as we salute the most gorgeous redheads of all time. Martha Hayes has our top ten flame-haired vixens.

They’re in no particular order, it was hard enough narrowing the list down to ten, but we’ve resisted the temptation to include Jessica Rabbit, Wilma Flintstone and Pippi Longstocking to sift out the real vintage starlets of the stage and screen. They’re all inspirational, unforgettable and entirely unique, and most of them, as fiery as their hair colour!

clara

Clara Bow (1905-1965)

This lady makes us want to wear flapper dresses every day, replace our DVD collection with purely silent films and definitely dye our hair red.

The darling of the roaring Twenties, she hit the big time with It (1927) in which she was described as having, ‘that strange magnetism which attracts both sexes…entirely unself-conscious…full of self-confidence…indifferent to the effect…she is producing and uninfluenced by others.’ She is the original ‘It’ girl.

ritaRita Hayworth (1918-1987)

Though best remembered for her now legendary one-glove striptease in Gilda(1946) oozing sex appeal in a satin gown, Rita Haywood was actually very shy when the cameras stopped rolling, not to mention a very talented straight actress.

Her first big role came after signing to Warner Brothers in 1941. The film? The Strawberry Blonde!

1935-dixie-hepburnKatharine Hepburn (1907-2003)

The embodiment of sex appeal in a satin gown and the most successful redhead in our shortlist, Katharine Hepburn was nominated for Best Actress at the Oscars no less than 12 times and took home four of the awards.

Apart from her success as at the Academy Awards, who could forget her 25-year partnership with Spencer Tracy and the unmistakable chemistry ignited on screen that spanned more than eight films?

bette_davis_52Bette Davis (1908-1989)

Despite an early love of dance, Bette Davis was destined to be a star on the screen. After winning some very strong and complex roles throughout the Thirties, her fate was sealed.

She became well-known as much as critically acclaimed in her hey day as Mildred Rogers in Of Human Bondage (1934). But Bette was one fiery starlet who wasn’t about to disappear, she won a whole new legion of fans in theSixties in What Ever Happened to Baby Jane.

maureenoharatributeMaureen O’Hara (1920)

Maureen O’Hara was so captivating in her prime, that Hermet T Kalmus, creator of the Technicolor process, practically used her long glossy red hair and distinctively beautiful green eyes to sell his invention.

So it’s no surprise she became known as ‘The Queen Of Technicolor’ in the Forties and Fifties in films such as The Redhead From Wyoming (1952) and she’s still a queen today!

3117Deborah Kerr (1921-2007)

Scottish actress Deborah Kerr with her porcelain skin and red curls is the ultimate British beauty in our line up. In over 50 films across four decades of cinema, she’s done it all – from prim-and-proper to sensual and sexy.

See her and Burt Lancaster on the beach From Here to Eternity (1953) for evidence of the latter.

lucilleLucille Ball (1911 – 1989)

We love Lucille! The American comedy actress rose to fame in the sitcom she created with her real-life husband Desi Arnaz, ‘I Love Lucy’ (1951-1957).

The striking redhead struck gold with the series which was groundbreaking at the time – the first American TV show to star a female and one of the first US shows to show a pregnant woman.

609087atlantic-city-beauty-contest-winner-venus-ramey-postersVenus Ramey (1924)

Who could forget the first red haired Miss America. Venus Ramey won the title in 1944 and went on to compete as Miss District of Columbia as well as help Washington D.C win suffrage in 1945.

She’s the ultimate fiery redhead – only in 2007 she confronted intruders who entered a building on her farm and shot down their tyres!

mitzi-gaynor-3Mitzi Gaynor (1931)

With a name like Mitzi Gaynor, this redhead was bound to make headline news. Imagine if she’d gone by her full name, Francesca Marlene de Czanyi von Gerber.

By 1956 the press were proclaiming, ‘Suddenly She’s Sexy!’ and ‘Mother Made Me Sexy’ and the actress and singer, who still performs today at the age of 77, became the ultimate flame-haired pin-up.

ginger_rogersGinger Rogers (1911-1995)

Ginger by name, ginger by… actually Ginger Rogers was born Virginia Katherine McMath.

Though the Thirties starlet is synonymous with dance partner Fred Astaire, with whom she made ten musical films, she notched up film roles and critical acclaim over the years all by herself, notably scooping the academy award for Beat Actress in Kitty Foyle (1940).

• A harder one I hope but for David the answer isn't too far away. I feel now I have given it away. You don't have to be David as my clue is for everyone so get in early.

Hondo

• edited June 2015
    #9 on the above list...

• Very good. Mitzi was going through a slum in her film career wise when she made this film. Still a few years away from South Pacific.

Hondo

•  I need to extend the time taken for the answer for this one so no clues except to say a very well known actress.

Hondo

• You are on a roll David. Yvonne De Carlo of course and the film Calamity Jane And Sam Bass. Not bad for someone who doesn't do westerns.Very cheeky Yvonne expressing your thoughts I'm sure.

Hondo

• I have some posters for Westerns, just genre I like so much so it's easy to flick through the few, mine doesn't have that scribble so was nearly stumped.  <:-P
  • edited June 2015

Now I know. See if you have this one because the actress is little known so if you don't have the poster you are in trouble.

Hondo

Meant to say earlier I thought this attempt at drawing Maureen O'Hara was more like the poster artist was copying Coleen Gray.

Hondo

• You cannot be stumped. I will give a clue that it is from a George Montgomery western. David or any

Hondo

• Excellent Matt. With the underrated actress Karin Booth, Good daybill and an above average western.

Hondo

• You will need the daybill for this one. This image comes from a b western that had two different daybills designed for it. Good luck.

Hondo

• A clue for the above image. This is the actress depicted .Need the actress and the movie.

Hondo

• edited June 2015

Love this one. The actress will do and if you get it I will supply the name of the film.The likeness to me at least is great one of another actress.

Hondo

Appeared in a serial.

Homdo

• HONDO said:

Appeared in an Alfred Hitchcock film.

Hondo

Ruth Roman is the answer and the film is?

Hondo

Think seasonal.

Hondo

• Belle Starr's Daughter, only cause you said who it was...I don't do Westerns!
  • David said:
    Belle Starr's Daughter, only cause you said who it was...I don't do Westerns!

Yes Ruth Roman in Belle Starr's Daughter.

I will repeat my great clue for the lovely actress in the black and white photograph. Think seasonal. I will expand on this and let you know her first name ties in with my clue.

Hondo

• Think seasonal? hahaha

Merry Anders - but no idea of film, will let others guess: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merry_Anders#Filmography
  • Another clue, even for David. The person she played had a seasonal name as well.

Hondo