Skip to content

Missing Daybills.

There appears to be many Australian first release  daybill images that have never surfaced for anyone interested in daybills to see.

I am going to list some titles I would like to see.

Just Imagine

All Quiet On The Western Front

The Pajama Game

An Affair To Remember

Kiss Tomorrow Goodbye

She ( 1935 RKO version )

Feel free to let us know what missing daybill titles you would like to see and you never know what may come out of the woodwork.

Hondo

Comments

• No i don't believe so. The  other thread was essentially about daybills that were never printed, hence the phantom reference.This thread is about actual daybills printed for released films.

Hondo

• HONDO said:

No i don't believe so. The  other thread was essentially about daybills that were never printed, hence the phantom reference.This thread is about actual daybills printed for released films.

Hondo

But how do we know for certain they were printed if no one has ever seen them?
  • edited June 2015

All films released in Australia I am sure  would have had daybills printed for them at least in the period from the 1920's through to the 1970's and most likely throughout the 1980's.There may be a few exceptions because the re-release of Freaks and Dr. Jekyll And Mr. Hyde in the 1970's hasn't produced any posters of any style to date but I am sure almost all films released during the period I have mentioned would have had daybills produced fot them.

Hondo.

• Ok but...

I don't see how we can say daybills were printed for certain when they have never conclusively been seen and, on the other hand, I don't understand how we can say conclusively (in the Phantom thread) that daybills were never printed just because they have never been encountered up to this point in time.

Yes - logically, if a film was released in Australia, there should have been some kind of a poster printed but we simply cannot state that with 100% positivity without there being evidence of the poster existing.  Of course if a film has never been released in Australia well that is an easy deduction :)

Unless there is an omniscient reference of every Australian poster ever printed how can we make definitive statements 50,60,70 years later without evidence (or simply due to the lack of evidence at present)?

• In my ''Looking For A Phantom Daybill?'' thread I correctly said that certain films that were never released in Australia would naturally have no paper printed.

Regarding films released here posters they were a major form of advertising a film in Australia.Every film would have had a daybill of some sort printed even if only a humble duotone that the small independents like IFD  and Ray Films produced. I suppose i cannot say conclusively this is true but it stands to reason to me there would have been one.

Are there any titles you haven't been able to locate that you are perhaps thinking along the lines of one wasn't printed ? If you do please let me have a list of the titles? 

Hondo 

• i think i have Pajama Game so that might be one solved
  • If and when you locate it would you please post it/

Hondo

• Yeah I could have sworn I've seen pajama game in my ebay travels...go on Rick, prove I'm not completely losing my mind.
  • Re an Affair to Remember, if the one sheet is out there, would there not likely be a daybill?

• There is a daybill. l sighted one  many years ago and I may be wrong but I am sure it had a white background,

Hondo

Here it is. surely it's not that rare that no-one has seen it?
  • WOO HOO, now I know I am not crazy.
  • i must be crazy for buying it though
  • Thanks Rick for sharing. Unless it has changed you can buy The Pajama Game on DVD but no television rights have been granted,

Hondo

• Great gams that Doris...
  • I have a contact after these 1954 daybills if anyone has or can find them.
    The Command
    Broken Lance
  • Does anyone have an image of The Rats of Tobruk daybill?
  • Don't worry.......found one.image

• Mine is bigger than yours...

• Boys will be boys...
  • HONDO said:

There appears to be many Australian first release  daybill images that have never surfaced for anyone interested in daybills to see.

I am going to list some titles I would like to see.

Just Imagine

All Quiet On The Western Front

The Pajama Game

An Affair To Remember

Kiss Tomorrow Goodbye

She ( 1935 RKO version )

Feel free to let us know what missing daybill titles you would like to see and you never know what may come out of the woodwork.

Hondo

This is great as The Pajama Game found and now Kiss Tomorrow Goodbye.on another thread. Perhaps Ves you might like to post the image here as well? Hopefully An Affair To Remember will turn up sometime as well.
  • Sure,  I didn't even realise it was on this list!.  I had no idea I had it...I was looking for something else when I saw the printer info...as always happens, you find the goods when you are looking for something else!

• edited June 2015

There are hundreds of daybill designs I have never sighted. Here is another list.    

MACHINE GUN KELLY                                                                                                                                                                                                               

MY GUN IS QUICK ( Mickey Spillane )

RIOT IN CELL BLOCK 11 ( A N.Z. daybill only sighted )

SAYONARA

U.F.O.

• I have found at least an image of an Australian one sheet of UFO.
  • HONDO said:
    I have found at least an image of an Australian one sheet of UFO.
    Post away!
  • Not bad. Similar to the U.S.on sheet.

• Just back from my trip to Victoria and noticed this thread. I have definitely had a daybill for An Affair to Remember but no longer have the image. Here is an image for UFO....