Skip to content

Missing Daybills.

13»

Comments

• edited July 2015
    and another

• Doesn't that one belong is the ugly daybill thread? ;)
  • Would you mind letting me know the printer's name for The Monster that Challenged The World?
  • W.E. Smith Limited Sydney...can just make it out in his picture
  • Thank you Ves.
  •                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          

Doesn't that one belong is the ugly daybill thread? ;)

If you thought that one was ugly how about this other United Artist daybill of the following year.

• HONDO said:

Doesn't that one belong is the ugly daybill thread? ;)

If you thought that one was ugly how about this other United Artist daybill of the following year.

That ain't so bad comparatively!
  • Rick said:

Thanks for posting this Rick. I have half of a one sheet for this title - looks a lot more colourful!
  •                                                                                                                                                                                          Has anyone ever sighted a full colour version of Curse Of The Faceless Man?
  • John said:
    Rick said:

Thanks for posting this Rick. I have half of a one sheet for this title - looks a lot more colourful!
    I do like how they chose "Challenged", a politically correct monster for once
  • Yes it's W.E., Smith. I've not seen that It previously
  • Printed by W.E.Smith a year or so before they ceased producing film posters.
  • Rick said:
    and another

Thanks Rick!

Any idea what this might be worth on today's market? Obviously a rare title!
  • Crazies? No idea, I've never seen one for sale so it is probably rare. If I had a spare...
    I have a couple of Martin but again that's not one that comes up often.
    I can't remember how or where I got them,
  • What about a daybill for The Last Man On Earth (64) with Vincent Price?
  • What about a daybill for The Last Man On Earth (64) with Vincent Price?

Was originally banned in Australia in 1964 but classified for exhibition eight years later on 1st of April, 1972 and given only a NRC rating. The applicant was CUC Films Australia. I have never seen any Australian posters of any type for this title.
  • HONDO said:
                                                                                                                                                                                             Has anyone ever sighted a full colour version of Curse Of The Faceless Man?

This version has a rating. I wonder if a colour version was printed? Are there examples from 1950s United Artists where there is proof a duo tone is the first release?

•    

This Curse Of The Faceless Man ( 1958 ) duotone daybill poster, used the Mummy's face artwork that previously was  used on  the Pharaoh's Curse ( 1957 )  Australian daybill. The non printer's credit  and the United Artists style printing logo, along with the previous artwork copied would estimate it to be an early 1960's follow up printing, which took place a lot around this period of time with UA product.

• Great unfo lawrence!
  • Sven said:

Are there examples from 1950s United Artists where there is proof a duo tone is the first release?

I believe United Artists always printed colour ( if only limited sometimes ) daybills prior to duotones being printed later on at various time periods. Some small independent distributors like Blake, Regent and  IFD  printed some of their first release film posters in duotone regularly in the 1960's, but the majors didn't usually sink to this level, unless the overseas material was duotone in design. There was one Australian major film distributor that did have printed, for whatever reason, a very small amount of duotone daybill and one sheet posters for ''B'' titles ( or worse ), that were probably deemed to be of little box office value to receive the great artwork they would have normally received from the Richardson Studio. You guessed it and it was Paramount Australia. Maybe I will start a separate thread dealing with them at some stage or another.

• Great info Lawrence.   Thanks again 
  • HONDO said:

This Curse Of The Faceless Man ( 1958 ) duotone daybill poster, used the Mummy's face artwork that previously was  used on  the Pharaoh's Curse ( 1957 )  Australian daybill. The non printer's credit  and the United Artists style printing logo, along with the previous artwork copied would estimate it to be an early 1960's follow up printing, which took place a lot around this period of time with UA product.

It certainly appears to me that the unknown Australian printer of the duotone daybill perhaps wasn't supplied with appropriate image material of Curse of the Faceless Man, so they just used the earlier Mumm'ys face image from the earlier Pharaoh's Curse probably thinking no one would notice any difference. Following is the actual ''faceless man''. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The alternative duotone daybill version, again designed and printed by an unknown printer, but this time using original material of Curse Of The Faceless Man as a guide for their poster version.

Will we ever sight a more colourful version, and if so one has to wonder what it would look like?

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Decoy ( 1946 ) was previously enquired about in 2015 asking about a missing Australian daybill on another VMPF thread but no feedback was given. Due to exhaustive searching I haven't been able to establish that this film ever received an Australian theatrical release. As the film was from Monogram Pictures company and their films were being distributed in Australia in the 1940s by British Empire Films one has to wonder why. 

Although no record of a banning of the film in Australia can be located ( records of bannings at this tiime incomplete ), this is what I believe happened here in this case.

The following is reproduced from the IMDM website. ''The following snipe was stapled and pasted on all of the printed material sent to the exhibitors that booked this film: IMPORTANT! The Motion Picture Association's Advisory Council has urgently requested that there be no mention of specific poisons in publicizing "DECOY." Please eliminate all names of poisons (such as cyanide or methylene blue) from the publicity, exploitation and advertising on this picture.''

One has to wonder then that this may have been one of the reasons that contributed in a possible banning of the film in Australia?

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Original 1973 U.S.A. Werewolf Of Washington first release press book advertisement.

Australian 1975 first release Newspaper advertisement.

From information gathered this film was imported into Australia by Gardner and Pike ( who they? ), and the film appears to have only received very limited bookings here.

If a daybill, or perhaps maybe an odd size poster, had been produced, and seeing the newspaper artwork is similar to the U.S. artwork this is then possibly what a poster's artwork have looked like? 

( Jim Lane's Cinedome )

Two Living One Dead ( 1961 ). An extremely rare daybill image that I just discovered that I am thinking very few people have seen before so here it is. The film received very few bookings when released in Australia in 1962

''Despite being directed by one of the most eminent British directors of its day and featuring a number of well-known known British actors, this film was never given a cinema release Britain.'' IMDB trivia. The famous director mentioned  is Anthony Asquith.

Poster printed for Lion International films for usage ouside of the U.K. You can see where the Australian daybill  artwork originated from.

• Thanks for the info on 'Decoy' Lawrence.  Fascinating bit of history.

PS - I am still hoping there is a daybill out there somewhere!

• ( Trove )                                                              ( Trove )                             

( John ) 

The Marshal Of Mesa City ( 1939 ) & The Fighting Gringo ( 1939 ). The above daybill image copies of these two George O'Brien RKO  western films reveal what the missing original long daybill images look like. 

If one compares them to the full colour Triple Justice George O'Brien Simmons printed RKO poster images also above, one would have to believe that the two posters would have looked striking as well.

( Trove )

Duffy Of San Quentin ( 1954 ) original U.S.A. insert poster, and an Australian 1956 newspaper advertisement placed for the film during the release in Australia in 1956. The title was changed outside of the U.S., including Australia, to being Men Behind Bars.

The image of Louis Hayward with a gun holding the sexy Joanne Dru agaist her will I have read didn't appear in the film at all.

There was a follow up film to Duffy Of San Quentin / Men Behind Bars  titled The Steel Cage and released by United Artists in 1954. No record of The Steel Cage located of it being released theatrically in Australia.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Carnival Rock ( 1957 ) was imported into Australia by Regent Films and classified with cuts by the Australian film censor in 1968. No record of any screening dates occurring in Australia have been located as yet.

• edited September 2021

The Set-Up ( 1949 ) image of what the original Australian daybill looked like, and the U.S.A. insert poster image. I would have to believe that the Australian Simmons printed full bleed colour poster would look very attractive indeed. 

( John )

• The poster images on the far left and the far right were printed for the original Australian release of Sign Of The Cross in 1933. The image in the centre containing the '' Modernized Production '' wording was printed for the 1944 re-release that occurred in Australia in 1946. . All beautiful poster designs.

• Three daybill posters that I hadn't previously sighted until recently,

( The Gary Trevanion Vintage Movie Poster Collection / Invaluable ).