Skip to content

The Cooking Thread

edited September 2015 in Everything Random!
I'll start.

I am the cook in the house (although my wife can and does cook), my wife is also a Vegan - I am not - it makes meal times interesting sometimes.

One of my fav dishes is Paella, I do two versions: if we are just eating together then I cook a Vegan version, if we have guests over then I cook hers earlier and heat up for the meal and then 'live' cook the meatlovers version. The meatlovers contains such meat as: Chorizo, Bacon, Chicken as well as a wide variety of seafood - do it right and you have leftovers for lunch the next day!

This is the Vegan version - it is very nice too.

If anyone is interested I'll whip up the recipe.

Matt, when you come over for dinner... ;)

Comments

• Yes please! Looks amazing chef!
  • Yummm!
  • Chorizo? + Seafood???! Great mixture! Sounds very good!
  • I'll get my wife to help me post some Indian recipes.  She makes these potatoes that are awesome.
  • edited September 2015
    Yum. Do like Indian food, never tried to cook it tho' - get her to upfront with a Vegan one and I'll give it a whirl.
  • We eat Indian food regular, Yvonne mostly cooks. I will be interested to see these vegan ones as I'm vegetarian myself..
  • Big fan of Paella! So that looks pretty darn tasty, Dave.

Cooked up some Baby Heirloom tomatoes, Artichoke, Beans and chicken in a naked sauce. Served on top of Rigatoni.

Turn out pretty good. Must be the new kick as Range.

No vino tonight,
    dario.

• I HATE COOKING!  I do pretty much all the cooking now that I am mostly at home with the two monkeys.

SOOOOOOOOOOOO, I am very keen to pick up some new recipes to try out!

• Hi Ves,

The one above is pretty easy and somewhat healthy.

I hear you! I had to star love cooking pretty quick as I had to raise two boys pretty much by my self.

I couldn't see my self hating a chore for the next 15 years or more.

So now, I am pretty OK and passionate about cooking.

As strange as it sound. I Find peace in the kitchen chopping, stirring, tossing. Love it!

Cheers,
    dario.
  • Nice and fresh looking meal Dario, is that a convection top?
  • Hi David,

Electric Range dual convection system. Ceramic cook top.

What ever that means??

I do like the look of it, has that commercial look ( Knobs ) and it cooks pretty well.

Best,
    dario.
  • We have to replace our bench cook top, wondering whether to go with convection or standard ceramic - prefer gas, but none in this house.
  • Gas would be better of course. Only thing with this one. A bit tougher to clean.

Other than that, it kicks butt.

Best,
    dario.
  • I messed up tonight.  I took a picture of the sauce but didn't follow up on my wife's spinach dish...  There will be another day.
  • edited September 2015

Paella - Meat Lovers Version

Ingredients

Chicken legs - 1 for each person plus one

1 Chorizo sausage diced

1 Red Onion diced

2 Garlic cloves, chopped up roughly

2-3 pieces middle bacon cut into diced sized portions (little squares)

I Red Capsicum diced

500g Seafood mix – white fish, squid, prawns, scallops – chop up roughly (bite size is small enough)

Mussels in their shell – usually 1 per person as not everyone will eat them and some people will eat more than one

1 ½ Cup Long Grain Rice (don’t bother with the wanky Paellla rice)

2 Cups Chicken stock

½ Cup(ish) White wine

¼ teaspoon saffron powder

Salt & Pepper

Olive oil – a splash as needed

Optional: Add chili flakes if you want at the mix stage, volume dependent on your taste buds. My wife doesn't like spicy so I don't.

Parsely leaves (to garnish the finished meal)

LARGE deep dish frying pan.

Let’s Cook

·         Mix the chicken stock, wine and saffron together – keep in jug or similar ready to use. Watch, it will stain!

·         Heat up pan, add oil (about 2 tablespoons)

1.       Cook the chicken legs in the oil, for about five minutes, keep them moving and brown them – remove the legs.

2.       Throw in the Chorizo and the bacon until dark or the bacon starts popping. Remove.

3.       Leave the oil in the pan.

4.       Now chuck in the onions, garlic and stir for about 3 minutes then drop in the rice and stir it up to coat the rice in the oil. (If there is not enough oil just add a little more and heat up before adding rice etc - but you don't need a lot)

5.       Reduce the heat to about medium+

6.       Add the chicken stock/wine/saffron mix.

7.       Add salt and pepper to taste

8.       Add in the Chorizo and Bacon

9.       Mix

10.   Add in the Seafood mix (not the mussels yet)

11.   Push the chicken legs in – spread them round, get them close to the bottom of the pan

12.   Put a lid on and let cook – it should be a notch below simmer.

You can probably cook with the lid on for about 10 minutes then remove the lid. Whilst the lid is on you can occasionally stir.

After 10 minutes with the lid on...

13.   Remove the lid, push in the mussels!

Once the lid is off STOP STIRRING you want to allow a crust to form on the bottom – apparently this is somewhat of a delicacy in Spain (it has a special name), and actually it is very nice.

Basically the idea is to let cook now until the rice is cooked well enough that it is soft like it should be – so lots of tasting. Probably another 15-20 minutes after removing the lid. The balance is trying to cook it without it letting get too dry, don’t be shy about adding a few drops of water if it looks like it is - if you do then you will have to stir it a little, so you may lose the crusty bit - just don't let it get too mushy. Also don't be shy if you need to boost the heat - it's a recipe for experimenting to find what works for you on your cooker.

When done to your taste, serve.

I have tried to cook in a Paella Dish but found I didn’t have a big enough flame to cook it (heat the dish evenly) properly so I cook in a big deep dish fry pan which disperses the heat nicely. I then heat up a Paella dish in the oven and serve the Paella in the dish with a few large serving spoons.

Hopefully everyone goes yum!

• Thanks david will give it a go!
  • I hope so!
  • Wow! Thanks for that, David.

I'll give it a whirl.

Best,
    dario.
  • edited September 2015
    Wow is right!!!...David's Meat Lovers Paella was of Michelangelo proportions...here is my small contribution. Oven baked Turkey Meatballs! 
    Here we go!...
    in a glass bowl add the following...
    -1.25 lbs premium Turkey
    -Parsley
    -Oregano
    -Basil
    -Salt, pepper
    -Oinion Powder
    -1 garlic clove-crushed
    - Parmesean cheese 
    -Italian Bread crumbs
    -Ketchup
    -1 tbls of extra virgin olive oil
    -one egg as a binder
    ...large glass of Chateau St Michelle Cabernet...optional for drinking...
    ***mix the contents of the meatballs as sparingly as possible-too much "kneading" of the meat will "toughen" up the meatballs after baking.

bake in foil cookie sheet pan in the oven for 20 mins at 400, turn over and cook for another 25.

*****add just enough water to the cooking pan of meatballs to help them bake without getting too burned.

Add to your favorite red sauce-I'll post my favorite marinara recipe later-and enjoy.

Certainly not not rocket science, but very tasty! :)  
  • Yum...I like the wine option too!
  • Go meatballs! Yumo. Mark..you would then mix the meatballs in the red sauce and serve with spagetti or some other  pasta? 
  • Exactly Sven-add meatballs to sauce to simmer for 2-3 hours. Softens up the meatballs even more. Very yummy!
  • Mark,

Turkey Meatballs are healthier than your regular ground beef. Good choice and tasty too!

Here's another substitute, Spaghetti al Tonno. Pretty much replace the ground beef with Tuna.

This is an easy whip up. 10 minutes max, while waiting for the water to boil for the pasta.

Sweat some Red Onion, Garlic and Fresh Chili peppers.

Trow in a can of your Favorite seasoned diced tomatoes.

1-2 two cans of Tuna ( add prawns if you want. I did this time )

Some fresh herbs, Italian Parsley, Basil and Dill. The Dill is really important as it add a really nice flavor to the sauce.

Let it cook/simmer for a wile.

Serve,
    dario.

• Dario, 

Sounds/looks great! I'm not Italian and have never heard of tuna added to a red sauce dish, will definitely try.

My wife makes a fantastic-believe to not-tuna casserole! It's a nice comfort food. 

Btw-your red peppers & fresh; store bought or farmers market? I have family in West Seattle- lots of fresh vegetables at multiple outdoor markets-Go Pike Place! 

• Hi Mark,

The Pepper's are from my friendly Neighborhood veggie stand.

Not sure if they are Organic?

Dario.
  • About to throw this into the oven. Home made pizza....and beer to follow.

• Matt said:

wAbout to throw this into the oven. Home made pizza....and beer to follow.

Ironically did the same for dinner tonight!  Kids love making it...extra mess! And what great beer drinking weather, especially with pizza
     Well enjoy that mate!
  • Yup..the weather has turned hasn't it.
  • Great weather, great pizza
  • Is there a better combo than Pizza and Beer? I don't think so...................

Good one Matt.

Best,
    dario.