Skip to content

Rare Non Australian Posters Of Australian Films

Comments

• Nice artwork on the Australian produced DVD of Uncivilised.

2[2].jpg 187.2K
  • Picked up the box set which includes Uncivilised so when it arrives will see what extra goodies it contains!
  • edited October 2016
                                                                                                                             The box set with 9 movies on 8 discs and at a reasonable price.
  • Nothing to say about the topic of the thread, but the Woolever Press "White zombie" WC Bruce auctioned is great. :)
  •  Image # 23. Always Another Dawn ( 1948 ) U.K. poster. This image was previously displayed in the War Movies quiz thread, but deserves to appear here as well. Australian paper of this film will appear in the ''Rare Australian Posters Of Australian Films'' shortly.
  •  Image # 24.         

On The Beach ( 1959 ) German poster. I really like this one.   

•  Image # 25. Another poster for Under The Southern Cross ( 1954 ). This beautiful poster is from Germany.

• Pretty nice that one
  • Love that Under the Southern Cross...been on my wants for a while now!
  •  Image # 26. Typhoon Treasure ( 1938 ). A U.S. release one sheet poster. I once sighted a U.S. 3 sheet poster of Typhoon Treasure also.
  •  Image # 27 of Heritage ( 1935 ). Posters of any description and country are near impossible to locate for this Charles Chauvel film. I was just going to provide some information regarding the history and background of this image after completing  some extensive research, but I thought it would be more interesting to firstly ask for feedback as to what people think the origin of the material is ? Anyone like to join in with their thoughts?  
  • Looks like a trade ad to me

• 110x75 said:
    Looks like a trade ad to me

That is correct, but from where ?
  • edited November 2016
    HONDO said:
    110x75 said:
    Looks like a trade ad to me

That is correct, but from where ?

Trade ad for a picture theatre in East Finchley, London, England (which opened in 1912 and was originally called The East Finchley Picturedrome).

• I'm guessing my 30 seconds of research got that one right... ;)
  • David said:
    I'm guessing my 30 seconds of research got that one right... ;)

Correct. More detailed information to follow.
  • HONDO said:
    David said:
    I'm guessing my 30 seconds of research got that one right... ;)

Correct. More detailed information to follow.

Sorry but the obvious isn't always correct. I had thought also that the above mentioned cinema was the venue used but with a feeling that something wasn't right quiet right I have delved deeper and have now established without doubt this cinema wasn't the one used for the Heritage screening after all. Any other thoughts regarding this matter?
  • To clear things up, there is a Phoenix Cinema and it is still operating today.

History of this cinema is as follows -

The Picturedrome ( 1910-1923 ). Started being built in 1910 and finally opened in May 1912 as The East Finchley Picturedrome.

The Coliseum ( 1924-1936 ).

The Rex ( 1937 -1975 ).

The Phoenix ( !975 to present day ).

The original trade advertisement for Heritage just shows Phoenix displayed on it so it would seem the Phoenix at East Finchley would have had to be it as it was the only Phoenix cinema in London located. This assumption has proved to be incorrect as at the time ( 1936 ) the cinema was called The Coliseum not the Phoenix.

To finalise this matter the Phoenix on the advertisement refers to the Phoenix Theatre situated at 110 Charing Cross Road in London, a live theatre outlet which is also still operating today as such.  From Cinema Treasures the following slightly abridged information-''The theatre was built on the site of an amusement hall, known as the Arcazar. The Phoenix Theatre was built by Sydney Bernstein, owner of the Granada Theatres Ltd. chain of cinemas. It was opened on 24th September 1930 with the World Premiere production Of Noel Coward's ''Private Lives'', which starred Noel Coward and Gertrude Lawrence in her first West End stage roll. The Phoenix was built as a live theatre, but was also fully equipped as a cinema, The UK premiere of Rene Clair's ''Le Million'' was screened at the Phoenix on 22nd April 1931. and the film played at the theatre until June 1931. The Phoenix Theatre became a public cinema again from 8th February 1939, but was only a short lived venture. The theatre was also used extensively for film industry trade shows during the 1930's,1940's and into the 1950's. Films returned in 1976 and 1977, when children's film matinees were screened.''

''The Last Tango'' a live production is currently on stage having been booked for a 10 week season from 22 September -3 December 2016. 

Now getting back to the original image of ''Heritage'' I posted. It was a British trade advertisement published in the Kinematograph Weekly trade publication and as the Kinematograph Yearbook of 1937 listed under trade shows ( British Films ) it  was intended for a trade show screening at the Phoenix on 19th March 1936. The film went on release by Columbia on the 31st August 1936.

To date the only advertising paper in colour from any country found. Hopefully a daybill or any other film posters from Australia, the UK or the USA will surface one day soon.

• HONDO said:
     Image # 27 of Heritage ( 1935 ).

A little more information on this type of  U. K. advertisement supporting the rarity of the paper.

''The Kinematograph weekly was a publication catering to the British film industry and full page trade advertising, in the form of colourful posters, were aimed at Cinema managers. The publication was only available to them by subscription and were not sold to the general public. Apparently the publication's own copies from the 1930's were destroyed by fire and water damage during the Blitz and Wartime paper drives decimated those held by cinemas making them quite rare.''

• I'd never seen it before.  Orphan of the Wilderness Belgian

• A first time sighting for me also. I prefer it to a similar French poster, as this Belgium poster has more action depicted on it. Yours?
  • I recently wrote a paper:

World posters of Australian Director Charles Chauvel for Cinema australia. Its at:

https://cinemaaustralia.com.au/2019/01/14/world-movie-posters-of-australian-director-charles-chauvel/

It shows some rare non australian posters...

Cheers, 
  • Nice, I’ll take a look.
  • edited March 2022
    I thought I would revive this thread as there are still some nice images not yet presented here.
                                                                                                           (Courtesy of Andrew / Blairo )

Image # 28 Bush Christmas ( 1947 ) U.S.A. three sheet. This beautiful poster surely would have to be extremely rare. 
  • wow!
  • Attached is a US 6 Sheet of Forty Thousand Horsemen I bought a couple of years ago. Interestingly is the same version which was recently taken off the Chauvel Cinema wall a few years ago.
  • edited March 2022

Above is the video of how they restored the poster off the Chauvel Cinema wall

• Great poster and an interesting clip. Thanks for sharing with us Andrew. 
  • The Blonde Captive ( 1931) here on this thread has been a much discussed film, included on pages 2, 3, 4 & 5. You can also find information on the film on the forum's How Observant Are You and The Nude Quiz threads as well.

Thanks to Diego he has allowed me to locate an original Columbia Pictures 1930's release Spanish film poster for the film. Apart from U.S.A. posters, which a lot of posters artwork exists for today, any non American poster artwork is extremely rare to locate. This poster also shows that Columbia Pictures would appear to have had World rights to the film, if only for a limited period of time.

The following Spanish poster has an interesting shape of Australia drawn on it, along with the incorrect spelling of Sydney.The poster is up for sale, but is very pricey.

I then Iocated the following image on the IMDb website as well. I believe this image wasn't present years ago when I had last checked there.