Skip to content

Val Lewton Missing Daybills ( and other Australian posters )

Val Lewton produced eleven films for the B unit at RKO In the 1940's. Of the eleven only four of the titles have I been able to locate any Australian poster images for and these being daybills of Cat People, Bedlam, Mademoiselle Fifi and Youth Runs Wild. The missing seven films, appearing above in U.S. insert poster form, would have been produced most likely by Simmons printers in similar style artwork, and if anything like the four Val Lewton posters we have seen to date they should be great. No other Australian paper in any other format for any of the eleven films have I been able to locate. All seven films have been confirmed that they were released in Australia.

Comments

• edited November 2016

These are the daybill images of the four titles were I have been able to locate daybill poster images for. I have thrown in a nice piece of Australian newspaper advertising for Cat People as well. 

The eleven titles produced at RKO and U.S. release dates as follows.

Cat People ( 1942 )

I Walked With A Zombie ( 1943 )

The Leopard Man ( 1943 )

The Seventh Victim ( 1943 )

The Ghost Ship ( 1943 )

The Curse Of The Cat People ( 1944 )

Youth Runs Wild ( 1944 )

Mademoiselle Fifi ( 1944 )

The Body Snatcher ( 1945 )

Isle Of The Dead ( 1945 )

Bedlam ( 1946 )

If anyone has any other Australian poster images in any paper size of any  of the eleven film  titles not displayed just above  please let us see them here ?

• edited November 2016

I was thinking of doing another similar grouping of missing Australian posters and this time a particular Universal horror monster series. If anyone is interested in this please let me know, as this sort of thing is very time consuming, so I would like to know in advance if there is enough interest to warrant me proceeding or not ?

• Would love to see a uni horror thread on missing daybills lawrence! 
  • Very nice posters there (missing or otherwise)
  • Count me in!

And are you thinking any of those seven were not released in Australia?

Here is a handy checklist to help tell eMoviePoster.com apart from all other major auctions!
    HAS lifetime guarantees on every item - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS unrestored and unenhanced images - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS 100% honest condition descriptions - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS auctions where the winner is the higher of two real bidders - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "buyers premiums" - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "reserves or starts over $1 - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS hidden bidder IDs - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS no customer service to speak of - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "nosebleed" shipping charges - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS inadequate packaging - NOT eMoviePoster.com

• Bruce said:
    Count me in!

And are you thinking any of those seven were not released in Australia?

Regarding the seven you refer to. Are they the Val Lewton images I commenced this thread with, and if so I had mentioned that all seven  were confirmed  that they had all  been released in Australia. Every one of the 11 films were released in Australia.
  •  Nine of the titles from  Val Lewton's RKO produced films, along with a great 2005 documentary in this great DVD boxset.
  • Body Snatcher absolutely exists and I am pretty sure Leopard Man does too
    I can hear the door creaking to your basement...

My thread has been very worthwhile just in the unveiling of The Body Snatcher daybill. Now where is The Leopard Man ?
  • If only I owned a copy...

As for the Leopard Man I swear the late, great Lynaron posted a picture of the daybill framed but I cannot find the pic on any of the forums so maybe I am just dreaming about pretty paper again?  (It would help if the search on NS4 actually worked!)
  • If only I owned a copy...

As for the Leopard Man I swear the late, great Lynaron posted a picture of the daybill framed but I cannot find the pic on any of the forums so maybe I am just dreaming about pretty paper again?  (It would help if the search on NS4 actually worked!)

If you ever locate an image or any of the other five images you know what to do then.
  • I've seen daybills for several of the missing ones.  Let me see what I can find...
  • In fact the only one I think I haven't seen is I walked with a zombie, and maybe curse of the cat people, though that sounds familiar too
  • The 7th Victim - Australian daybill

The Leopard Man - Australian Daybill

The Ghost Ship - Australian daybill

Still can't be sure about Curse of the cat people, I could be getting confused with the Cat People daybill posted here already...

Isle of the Dead I am pretty sure I have seen, but can't think where or find image.  Again, maybe I am getting confused with the body snatcher...if I turn up any images, will post.

• Freakn Daybill Encyclopedia 
  • Way to go Ves! Leopard man is a cracker!
  • Excellent images Ves so along with The Leopard Man image we now have four of the seven missing Val Lewton titles. Now to find I Walked With a Zombie, Isle Of The Dead and The Curse Of The Cat People. A good team effort so thanks Ves and Chris for participating.
  • Oh I missed the bit about a uni horror thread

Would love to see them all put together in one spot! 

• I wonder if our international friends get sick of us talking ugly aussie paper all the time????
  • I wonder if our international friends get sick of us talking ugly aussie paper all the time????
    Hell no!!  But then again I am a pretend Aussie (hoping one day to make it to honorary Aussie)
  • The 7th Victim - Australian daybill

The Leopard Man - Australian Daybill

The Ghost Ship - Australian daybill

Still can't be sure about Curse of the cat people, I could be getting confused with the Cat People daybill posted here already...

Isle of the Dead I am pretty sure I have seen, but can't think where or find image.  Again, maybe I am getting confused with the body snatcher...if I turn up any images, will post.

Oh to own any of these **SIGH** ...thanks for sharing Ves - and for confirming I am slightly less crazy in believing I had seen a Leopard Man before!
  • Oh I missed the bit about a uni horror thread

Wow a very ambitious thought. I will start a thread shortly starting with the Universal The Mummy series.
  • I had a vintage Australian industry magazine which had a 2 page ad featuring Cat People and 7th Victim.  I sold it and don't remember the details.  I may have the 2nd title wrong.  It was quite attractive and gobbled up by my Lewton poster customer.
  • mwong said:
    I had a vintage Australian industry magazine which had a 2 page ad featuring Cat People and 7th Victim.  I sold it and don't remember the details.  I may have the 2nd title wrong.  It was quite attractive and gobbled up by my Lewton poster customer.
    I am wondering if these were the two films that were advertised as the two films were released on a double bill in a large amount of bookings starting in Australia in 1943 ?
  • Yes, I think that might be the double bill.  The artwork was quite attractive.  I purchased a 2nd magazine from the same source with a 2 page Casablanca ad so 1943 could well be the date.
  •  It is interesting that when cinemas across Australia screened the two films as a double bill the billing order switched around depending where the film was screened.

• edited November 2016
  • HONDO said:

I was thinking of doing another similar grouping of missing Australian posters and this time a particular Universal horror monster series. If anyone is interested in this please let me know, as this sort of thing is very time consuming, so I would like to know in advance if there is enough interest to warrant me proceeding or not ?

Sven said:
    Would love to see a uni horror thread on missing daybills lawrence! 

Bruce said:
    Count me in!

Oh I missed the bit about a uni horror thread

Completed most of part 1 which was very time consuming, but I am pleased in how it has turned out. Will be putting some finishing touches to it and it will be appearing soon.