Skip to content

Things To Come Authenticity ?

Things To Come ( 1936 ). Your thoughts on this poster that has been described as an original release Australian daybill poster?  If this poster is original it would have been a long daybill which it appears to be in size by looking at it.

The four problems I have in it being an authentic original Australia daybill printed for the 1936 Australian release are as follows.

No printer's credit on the poster.

No censorship classification appearing.

No United Artists film distributor credit appearing.

No blank section on the top of the poster.

What do you think?

Comments

• My knowledge on australian paper is close to non existant, but that's a fine looking poster to me...
  • Are we sure that isn't a 3 sheet - kind of like the perplexing Robin Hood poster
  • 110x75 said:
    My knowledge on australian paper is close to non existant, but that's a fine looking poster to me...
    Agreed! Sweet looking rocket! 
  • A repro?
  • Oh, I've been meaning to post about this poster.  Come across it on several occasions when looking for other things and it always struck me as odd for an Aussie Daybill.  Just doesn't look right.

The blank section at the top had me going, but then thought trimmed?  If so, it would be off in terms of proportions and it isn't to the eye at least.

Would love to hear more...

• HA sold one and it has more white space at the top than that pic.
  • Large chip in bottom border could explain no printer info...size is there...
  •  The U.S. original insert. Very similar to the Australian poster except the wording at the top of this poster is different and the insert has more of the cast listed, along with the production and distribution details.

An image appears in the Hershenson / Allen archives of the Australian poster in question, minus any sale date. I am wondering if only one copy actually exists and the Hershenson / Allen poster is the one that was sold and  then the purchaser restored it on linen and it ended up being sold by Heritage om March 11, 2008?

• HONDO said:

I am wondering if only one copy actually exists and the Hershenson / Allen poster is the one that was sold and  then the purchaser restored it on linen and it ended up being sold by Heritage om March 11, 2008?

Entirely possible/likely.

HA's description: "fold wear, and some edge chipping, including a large chip out of the bottom right border. Additionally, all of the borders have been repaired."

Which of course would explain why no printer information.

• edited April 2020
                                                                                                                                                                                                HONDO said:

Things To Come ( 1936 ). Your thoughts on this poster that has been described as an original release Australian daybill poster?  If this poster is original it would have been a long daybill which it appears to be in size by looking at it.

The four problems I have in it being an authentic original Australia daybill printed for the 1936 Australian release are as follows.

No printer's credit on the poster.

No United Artists film distributor credit appearing.

No blank section on the top of the poster.

What do you think?

I haven't been able to locate until now an original London Films / United Artists daybill produced around the time that Things to Come was released in Australia. The above Fire Over England  daybill from Ves, which has just appeared on another thread, was printed for the 1937 release in Australia. Things To Come was released in Australia the previous year.

You will observe that all the four items of concern regarding the Things To Come that I listed previously appear on the Fire Over England daybill. plus now a London Films logo that I hadn't mentioned as being absent from the Things to Come poster.

The Things To Come poster due to restoration most likely accounts for the missing top blank section and the missing printer'e credits, but this still leaves the missing London Films logo, the United Artists logo and the censorship classification ( ? ) being absent. 

I am not saying one way or another that the Things To Come poster is not an original Australian daybill poster printed for the 1936 release, or is possibly something altogether different.  All I have done is to supply the facts as I know them, and you can make up your own mind. I know many people that believe it to be an original release Australian daybii, and they may me correct, but there are others who aren't 100% convinced that it is.

Now a case to be presented for why the poster may be an original Australian 1936 release daybill. My original reasons are followed by what may have happened.  

''The four problems I have in it being an authentic original Australia daybill printed for the 1936 Australian release are as follows.''

''No printer's credit on the poster.'' Due to large chip in this printers's credit placement area they are missing..

''No censorship classification appearing.'' Some films from around this period still didn't have censorship ratings appearing on Australian film posters. 

''No United Artists film distributor credit appearing.'' The artwork used on the daybill appears to have been copied from the U.S.A. insert design rather than any original British used artwork. The insert has a London Film released thru United Artists credit printed on it. Due to either an oversight or just lack of enough remaining space there to include these credits, along with some other actors' names,  could explain the absense of these credits appearing on the Australian daybill.

''No blank section on the top of the poster.'' Possibly trimmed.

Love to hear any new or first time comments from anyone that would like to contribute, or from any previous cobtributors who perhaps have altered their thinking on the origins of this poster. 

• I always had my doubts about the Things to Come being a daybill, but I honestly have no idea.
    It is possible that much of the things that ring the alarm bells are caused by the restoration done to the poster.
    Having handled so many daybills over the years, you would think that HA would know the difference.
    Certainly one of those times where if only we could get our hands on it!

• I noticed some different artwork so I thought I would highlight in here, although it has nothing to do with the authenticity question.

The U.S.A. insert has the fire blazing in the background only, with no people appearing in the streets whatsoever.

The Australian version has four men in the streets all appearing to be reacting to something further away than the  above pilot's legs, and the men are among still burning building ruins.
  • The person who restored the poster would surely know Australian daybill paper and how thin it is. If it was artwork proposed for the film or for what ever reason, I doubt if it would be as thin as poster paper. My 2 cents.

Doesn't HA get a poster restored when it a valuable poster comes their way? I think you told me that Ves? Like you said, HA should know the difference.
  • Matt said:
    The person who restored the poster would surely know Australian daybill paper and how thin it is. If it was artwork proposed for the film or for what ever reason, I doubt if it would be as thin as poster paper. My 2 cents.

Doesn't HA get a poster restored when it a valuable poster comes their way? I think you told me that Ves? Like you said, HA should know the difference.
    Yep, that's right.  Standard practice was to get things of a high value restored as part of the process of selling, if not already done.  At least it used to be.

• This copy of Things To Come is currently being advertised as being an Australian daybill on the Heritage Auctions website, It is up for auction in a Signature Auction that is scheduled for April 29-30, 2023. It is listed as being trimmed and 13'' x 36.5'' in size. and it isn't listed as been restored.
  • HONDO said:

This copy of Things To Come is currently being advertised as being an Australian daybill on the Heritage Auctions website, It is up for auction in a Signature Auction that is scheduled for April 29-30, 2023. It is listed as being trimmed and 13'' x 36.5'' in size. and it isn't listed as been restored.

There's an argentine one sheet in the same auction. Someone is getting rid of his/her Things to Come collection...
  • HONDO said:

This copy of Things To Come is currently being advertised as being an Australian daybill on the Heritage Auctions website, It is up for auction in a Signature Auction that is scheduled for April 29-30, 2023. It is listed as being trimmed and 13'' x 36.5'' in size. and it isn't listed as been restored.
    Hopefully one will turn up at some point in the future with all of the borders intact.
  • Movie PostersScience Fiction Things to Come United Artists 1936 Pre-War Australian Daybill15 X 395

Trimmed ( borders restored ) sold 2008, and the currently up for auction version which is also trimmed.

I believe that these are the only two sighted Things To Come daybills, with both being trimmed. 

As John previously mentioned ''Hopefully one will turn up at some point in the future with all of the borders intact.''

•                                                                                                                                      ( Everyone advertisement  March 25, 1936  / Trove )

( 26 October 1936 newspaper  advertisement  for Lithgow, N.S.W. screenings / Trove )

Images included above to highlight the inclusion of the  the United Artists credit on all the above material, Actually it appears twice on the middle image.

As I had previously mentioned a United Artists credit doesn't appear on the below poster under discussion. Every other United Artist long daybill image that I have all have a UA credit printed on them. I am only presenting some facts and that'a all.

• Following on from Lawrence's United Artist credit post. Here's a few more local (AU/NZ) Everyone's advertisements curtesy of Trove (June-Sept 36).

Including a front of house shot of the Sydney Lyceum Theatre, with the Manager Bert Watts dressed the part. Sadly, no daybill images, just a few partial shots of lobby's etc. 

• And something a bit more colourful (Trove/Everyone's '36)

• Excellent images Wil. Thanks for sharing.

An update on my thoughts regarding the poster under discussion..

O.K. the absence of a printer's credit and no blank section at the top of the poster due likely to the poster trimming / restoration work done.. 

On saying this I still have a problem with the following.

No United Artists film distributor credit that was  printed on the similar designd U.S. insert poster.

No London Films credit appearing also as printed on the U.S. insert poster.

( U.S.A. insert ) 

How many individual Things To Come daybill size posters, in this particular trimmed condition,  exist in the market place.? This poster has appeared on numerous occasions over the years. Is it the same poster being recycled over and over perhaps , or are there other copies, and if so how many?
  •  

The U.S.A. three sheet and the U.S. insert with similar artwork variations of the same designs. The three sheet also having a London Films and United Artists credit printed in the poster.
  • HONDO said:

How many individual Things To Come daybill size posters, in this particular trimmed condition,  exist in the market place.? This poster has appeared on numerous occasions over the years. Is it the same poster being recycled over and over perhaps , or are there other copies, and if so how many?
    I'll take a stab at only two.

Both are likely from the same find, as they have the same main imperfections. However, they are ever so slightly out of alignment with each other. 

Heritage (pre resto):

And Bruce/emovieposter (older/lower resolution image):

• .collectahollic said:
    HONDO said:

I'll take a stab at only two.

Both are likely from the same find, as they have the same main imperfections. However, they are ever so slightly out of alignment with each other. 
    Two sounds like a logical number to me. Great imput Wil.

Any other thoughts from anyone else would be most welcomed.
  • Not unusual for the distributor details to be along the bottom of the poster.
    Having said that, this is the only one I have from roughly this era:

• edited May 2023
    Apart from Things To Come, Fire Over England is the only additional United Artists daybill from the middle 1930's  that I am aware of.

Unlike most of  the other major studios where 1930's daybills are more common, examples from UA are extremely rare, I have images of only four titles, with two from very early 1930's and two from circa 1939.

If anyone has any other examples it would be great to have their images posted here.