Skip to content

May we never forget...

Those who fought and died for ours freedoms.  It is Memorial Day in the US which usually means a nice spring/summer day off, American flags everywhere and good BBQ and friends.  May we take a moment today and remember our fallen all over the globe not just in the US.

Oh and if you are like me you will be binge watching Band of Brothers on HBO to celebrate.

Comments

• Actually, I watched 12 O'clock High on TCM last night.  That movie always gets to me.  Those who don't know, it isn't really about airplanes or battle action.  Though the aerial sequences are great and taken from B-17 gun cameras.  The film is about weight of responsibility, the need to press on when your personal situation is hopeless for the greater good.  In my mind, it is the perfect war picture.
  • Well said Charlie & Jay.

Band of Brothers a good choice. "I'm not a hero, but i served with many..."

"Pressing on when personal situation is hopeless for the greater good" makes me think of William Holden as commander Shears in Bridge on the River Kwai. 

Ribs & grilling this evening...some appropriate playing cards this morning with my 6 yr old son. 

Happy Memorial Day to all, and thanks to those who gave "their last full measure of devotion."
  • Let me start by saying I am not a pacifist.  I am a veteran, and my son is currently serving.
    To me, Memorial Day is not about fighting or military strength.  It is about loss and rememberance.

In my mind, this is an iconic Memorial Day image

• I apologize for the previous post.  I have been bombarded all day with folks trying to apply a political agenda.
  • edited May 2017
    jayn_j said:
    I apologize for the previous post.  I have been bombarded all day with folks trying to apply a political agenda.

I would never have associated military service to ones country, coupled with a grieving family member as taking any political stance. Your post seemed a fitting reminder to those who serve & sacrifice for their country. 
  • No, I didn't mean here.  It just ended up with this group catching the brunt.  Again, I apologize.

• Cover art by Chase Emerson, 1915
  • No need to apologise, it is a very touching image.