Skip to content

Photobucket Disables 3rd Party Hosting

edited July 2017 in Hey Newbie...
Forums of the world are discovering that Photobucket is ransoming image hosting for a cool $399 per year, certainly a pain in the ass. 

So, as we don't like you uploading images directly to the forum (because it's bandwidth and it costs money that we don't have and you don't want to pay - so what about options. 

What do you recommend?

Facebook does work, whether from a business page:

or a personal one:

Comments

• David said:

So, as we don't like you uploading images directly to the forum (because it's bandwidth and it costs money that we don't have and you don't want to pay - so what about options. 

Says who?

I am happy to contribute to a fund on an annual basis to keep the place open.

I've never had an issue with these.

Make it voluntary, then no one can claim any shenanigans...

• Oddly, both of my freebie PBucket acts are working fine, images not blocked, no emails demanding cashola, etc.

So I'm....

• I thought I was in your boat too Mel - everything was just fine until last night - now I too have been PB ransomed (see July acquisitions thread)
  • My suspicion is that PB is doing this in stages and so eventually your PB accounts will suffer the same fate
  • My suspicion is that PB is doing this in stages and so eventually your PB accounts will suffer the same fate
    I agree. Mine was hijacked about June 27/28 (I was in vacation with a. L great deal of fun so it really sure when). And I think it took until June 30/July 1, for David to get his email. A lot of the internet talk does not indicate PB has any plans for reversal. 

*my complaint is I can't even copy annimage to move it  somewhere else and as such replace all the pictures in my linenbacking thread.

im guessing PB will take a hit in the long run for no real prior notice to millions of customers who won't pay....
  • I found out last night too. Fucking photobucket!
    Tried imgur and worked, but took me a while. I'm old for this shit.

• Says who?

I am happy to contribute to a fund on an annual basis to keep the place open.

I've never had an issue with these.

Make it voluntary, then no one can claim any shenanigans...

Agree. 
  • Well, just checked my PB and I am now able to save my full size images, which makes me happy. Before I could only see thumbnails and when i attempted to open full size I got this

On to my own hosting....
  • This is the most f*cktarded biz decision since New Coke!

• David said:

Says who?

I am happy to contribute to a fund on an annual basis to keep the place open. I've never had an issue with these. Make it voluntary, then no one can claim any shenanigans...

We pay a few thousand USD$ a year to make this the fun house it is =) , the problem will be the more images we all load onto the server the more bandwidth and server space we will gobble up and then the more it will cost. The long term issue with people contributing $$$ is that when they don't then the shortfall will leave us holding the baby, and whilst we are happy to do so now a bigger bill in the future may dramatically eat into our poster money.

As Bruce will tell you, when you host images on your server that everyone can see and use (share elsewhere) it really sucks the bandwidth out of your wallet. Personally for my own website I use a CDN service to reduce the load but even with that it's still a huge amount of bandwidth. Bruce's bandwidth usage therefore must be ginormously mega!

A quick Google Search and one can find the forums of the world are striking this problem with Photobucket and everyone is looking for and offering alternatives. I can also see the likes of FlickR, Imgur etc also being adverse to 3rd party hosting ultimately if everyone just jumps ship to these services, it does cost them money too so who knows, maybe they will head in the same direction or perhaps limit it.

I think using Facebook to host the images is probably a good option, they aren't going anywhere too soon and/or find someone who offers both a small free version as well as a paid version for the big boys which means individual users can slip in under the pricing radar.

A quick hunt and I found these people, I didn't join but they offers some good features - if someone does you could let us know

http://cloudinary.com/pricing

Spare a thought for Rick the man struggles to share his images here now, all this is going to do his head in.. =)
  • I am just thankful I switched to collecting beautiful photobucket ransom jpgs like these:

My collection is ENORMOUS now...probably uncharted 6 star level! (Mel will need to confirm of course)
  • OMG I am going to do what lawyers HATE doing ...um ... er ... reading legal docs like PB's Terms of Use. Maybe can figure out WTF is going on....
  • Well that didn't take long:

http://photobucket.com/terms

"The free account does not allow ... 3rd party image hosting."

BUT the law school exam Q is "can PB change its Terms of Use to affect legacy users?"

Um ... yup I think.
  • $400 a year is not REMOTELY competitive. 

I get 500GB FOR $8 a month for MPC.guide:

https://www.register.com/product/webhosting/hosting-package-comparison.rcmx

• PS - Who knew douche master Martin Shkreli also worked for Photobucket?!
  • I am just thankful I switched to collecting beautiful photobucket ransom jpgs like these:

My collection is ENORMOUS now...probably uncharted 6 star level! (Mel will need to confirm of course)

mine are similar to your, but I think they are bootlegs.
  • David said:
    I am just thankful I switched to collecting beautiful photobucket ransom jpgs like these:

mine are similar to your, but I think they are bootlegs.
    Nah yours are clearly restrikes
  • Bad news. I finally got around to reading/contributing to some of the older threads here and there are caboodles of moronic "please update" images....
  • Bad news. I finally got around to reading/contributing to some of the older threads here and there are caboodles of moronic "please update" images....
    Going to be the reality across many, many forums
  • BTW for 20 years I was a management side lawyer. We constantly recommended that employers impose new work requirements/restrictions on existing employees, e.g. mandatory arbitration, non-competes, sexual-harassment rules, etc.
  •  This PB crap will continue to make shock waves unless they redirect. yeah, a movie poster forum with a lot of these

Is gonna look a bit unattractive.... :grimacing:

• Uhm...muhmmm....hummnnn...I am using Google Drive and  third party hosting works when I link images into my Excel files, but cannot figure out (yet) how to use it here.  :s

• Google Drive doesn't allow for 3rd party hosting.

Likely you use Google Docs for Excel sheets?
  • David said:
    Google Drive doesn't allow for 3rd party hosting.

Yep google drive does allow for 3rd party hosting, i use it for here although it is a bit cumbersome.

In google drive you need to share the picture to everyone, copy the share link to notepad and then modify the link. Will paste an example later. 

• Sven said:
    David said:
    Google Drive doesn't allow for 3rd party hosting.

Yep google drive does allow for 3rd party hosting, i use it for here although it is a bit cumbersome. 

In google drive you need to share the picture to everyone, copy the share link to notepad and then modify the link. Will paste an example later.

Wasn't aware, I only knew of sharing provided you upload them to Google+ first. Did a quick search and yep, you're right - a bit laboured so I leave it to you to share the how.
  • Here it is

1) In google drive select the image you want to hotlink. Right Click Share --> "Anyone with the link can view"
    2) Copy the share link to notepad e.g.
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=<file_id&gt;
    3) Edit the link to
    https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=<file_id>&authuser=0.jpg
    4) In VMPF go to image icon and paste the URL

• Thanks both! And yes you'r right @David only use it for word docs. And @Sven you'r a genius. Thanks

I guess we just need a code generator and we will be all sorted! :)
  • So...... how do we post our pics from facetube?

• You click the twitbed emotipoop and instatopy that biotch in this here pinumblr... 
  • I don't know much about Google drive.  Can it be set as private/password protected (like PB could)?

Would following Sven's directions basically mimic what PB provided in terms of 3rd Party Hosting?  (Obviously I need an alternative for all my photos but I want to retain the same level of privacy and security...)