Skip to content

Bladerunner 2049

I am so slow to find out any of this stuff!  I swear!

So apparently later this year we get the sequel to Blade Runner...

I ask the question, are we excited or is it a case of why bother?

Comments

• I like the first, I've watched it plenty of times. I am not so keen on the idea a sequel. That said, I am sure it will be ok cinema.

I am just glad they didn't sequel the crap out of it back then.

• Hopefully its worth a watch.

• I for one am very - but cautiously - excited.  

Sequel is written by Hampton Fancher (who co-wrote the first one) with Scott 'producing' and by all accounts a legitimately qualified French-Canadian director Villeneuve attached.  

Nothing will touch the original but this could at least be a worthy contribution to that universe (at least I hope!).

The teaser trailer looks the part - and Deckard even has a dog (which must have been very, very expensive ;) )
  • And the teaser trailer:

• Just last week I was talking with a guy at work who hadn't seen the original.

So I gave him a copy to watch.  My discussions with him (and subsequently) other guys in the office who had seen it reminded me just how much I love the original (proper version not the feckin' voice over crap!).

I guess considering Scott is at least involved has to be a good thing right???

I think I will just avoid everything about it in terms of reviews etc and just go in cold. 

Why can't they just leave well enough alone!

• Trust in Denis Villeneuve - he is most capable of pulling this off - very talented
  • The trailers look pretty cool, bought the HF teaser 1S, and one site identifies it as a second-tier Oscar contender:

http://www.goldderby.com/article/2017/2018-oscar-predictions-best-picture/

As for the original, I was a major fanboy but now really dislike the grotesque violence in it, esp. the eye-popping scene restored in the latest directors cut.
  • They should have left it alone. Next thing you'll know they be doing a sequel for that Star Wars movie from 1977
  • David said:
    They should have left it alone. Next thing you'll know they be doing a sequel for that Star Wars movie from 1977
    Which you've never seen =)
  • edited July 2017

So excite!
  • David said:
    They should have left it alone. Next thing you'll know they be doing a sequel for that Star Wars movie from 1977
    True but in 40 years I have seen so many clips, shorts, references to the film I pretty much know what it's about  - even I think Hans hot first.  =)=)
  • Umm ... what kind of sicko deviant should-be-shot-at-crack-of-dawn hasn't seen SW?

• David said:
    David said:
    True but in 40 years I have seen so many clips, shorts, references to the film I pretty much know what it's about  - even I think Hans hot first.  =)=)
    It's H-A-N dammit!  ;)
  • David said:
    David said:
    It's H-A-N dammit!  ;)

I say Tomato you say errr Tomato...?

Well bugger me, I thought it was Hans Olo
  • edited July 2017
    I'm guessing Sepia Throw was not the name of the oddly coloured robot either?
  • Potenial quad poster:

• Variant posters (30x40):

• edited July 2017
    Now which one will I take to a commercial printer to print 40x30?

• Too much time on your hands...
  • edited August 2017
    David said:
    Too much time on your hands...

As it happens, Entertainment Weekly Magazine, with 1.5 million subscribers, picked two pics for their BR2049 story:

• David said:
    Too much time on your hands...

You'd win too  ;)
  • edited August 2017
    I occasionally check the official movie websites and BR2049"s had never-before-seen obscured "taglines" for both official teaser posters:

http://bladerunnermovie.com/tagged/image

"You know his past. Discover his future. #BladeRunner2049"

"A new civilization begins now. #BladeRunner2049"

So why not include the taglines on the MPs?
  • First tag line gets my vote.
  • I don't know what the scene means but shades of Heston and that statue?
  • There is an official video filling in the "gap" between the original and sequel:

http://www.vanyaland.com/2017/08/29/he-went-to-jared-2036-nexus-dawn-fills-in-a-gap-between-blade-runner-films/

I watched all but the last minute.

It's disappointing the sequel will feature graphic violence so maybe I'll just skip it....
  • Gawd, I hope it's not a disappointment, I wasn't overly pleased they did a sequel, if it's crap I'll be pissed.
  • There is an official video filling in the "gap" between the original and sequel:

http://www.vanyaland.com/2017/08/29/he-went-to-jared-2036-nexus-dawn-fills-in-a-gap-between-blade-runner-films/

I watched all but the last minute.

It's disappointing the sequel will feature graphic violence so maybe I'll just skip it....
    Have you even watched the original one Mel?  Many instances of "graphic violence" back in 1982...