Skip to content

Wow - What A Difference A Country Can Make In Poster Design

Rough, Tough And Ready ( 1945 ) U.S.one sheet and an Italian  poster of the same film designed by Anselmo Ballester, which was released in Italy as Femmine del  Mare, which translates into English as being the then unusual titled Female Of Sea, as far as I can make out. In the U.K. the film had a more appropriate title of Men Of The Sea. Looks like the octopus has his eyes on a land based Jean Rogers, but apart from that oddity it is a nice looking poster.

Comments

• Damn that one is fantastic!
  • Ballester is a helluva an artist, don't have one of his in my stable yet
  • Damn that one is fantastic!

:o What he said!

• Great topic. Casablanca comes to mind, the international posters were vastly superior than the US posters:

• On the subject of Casablanca we cannot exclude this Australian one sheet from the discussion.

• Oh that's nice!

Still liking the Italian the best though.

• I think the European poster artists (French, Italian) certainly had a design flair that made the poster real art as well as an advert.

Many Australian artists were drunk during design stage...
  • The U.S. one sheet of The Lady From Shanghai ( 1948 ). Very nice.

The Australia daybill with the same design also very nice. Then there is this Italian poster, so now game, set & match.

• Another Ballester (Lady from Shanghai). 
    Arguably the finest movie poster artist of all time.

I've always wanted a poster for 20 Million Miles to Earth, but all the paper I found was uninspiring.  That is, until I discovered not one, but two, by Ballester for the Italian market.

I'd do unspeakable things for either one...

• The Big Clock ( 1948 ) U.S. one sheet and a French film poster. The Australian one sheet is the same design as the U.S. poster, and I have always been underwhelmed by the design. The noir look of the French poster is great though.

• Daybill for it is nice though...surprisingly.
  • HONDO said:

On the subject of Casablanca we cannot exclude this Australian one sheet from the discussion.

Never seen this one and love it! 
  • HONDO said:

The U.S. one sheet of The Lady From Shanghai ( 1948 ). Very nice.

* I like this one the best; like the solid colors contrast & large singular image of Hayworth. A strong design. 

• There is also this The Lady From Shanghai Australian one sheet poster I have just found which is also very nice.

This Czech Casablanca ( 1942 ) poster should receive an honourable mention for its different design and great artwork..

• OH LADY FROM SHANGHAI AUSSIE OS!  ARGH!  Too beautiful!
  •  A great Richardson daybill image of The Big Clock Ves, and we all know that from that decade they mostly excelled.  A great film by the way.
  • Steady on, posting some of these, Chris will have a trouser accident.. ;)
  • Paul said:
    Steady on, posting some of these, Chris will have a trouser accident.. ;)
    Too late  :D
  • The Nutty Professor( 1963 ) U.S.A. original sheet and an impressive looking Italian film poster of my favourite J.L. film.

• Here are some superior Australian one sheets with unique artwork/photos:

• Although not strictly Australian, of course the design was too much for the USA sensitivities

• An unimpressive U.S. country of origin one sheet of Flamingo Road  ( 1948 ) to compare with yet another impressive Italian poster of the same title.  

• All the Larry Flynts I've ever had have all be used and beat up!

Don't forget this beauty:

And I still think this is one of the better posters for the film (though many would argue):

• And I still think this is one of the better posters for the film (though many would argue):

Well they would clearly be arguing for the losing side!
  • The Men in Her Life ( 1941 ) U.S. one sheet and nice Swedish poster version.