Skip to content

One Off Stock Poster Comedy Quiz

edited September 2017 in Trivia and Games

I noticed this Roadshow comedy stock poster and had a look at the images on the daybill poster. There are no answers available as to which films they came from. Of the seven I have worked out four and still thinking about the other three.The images appear so far to be from 1975 /1979 U.S releases. Anyone care to have a go at identifying any of the films the images came from ?

Comments

• This:

is from Dimboola

This:

is from the Apple Dumpling Gang

• Dimboola & The Apple Dumpling Gang are of course correct. Ves you can extend your search on one of the above and you will be surprised in what you will find.

• Oh the dude on the bike and the dude in the tutu are from dimbola too!  
    I had it in my head the guy on the bike was Walther Matthau!  HA!
  • Oh the dude on the bike and the dude in the tutu are from dimbola too!  
    I had it in my head the guy on the bike was Walther Matthau!  HA!

Correct, and yes the man on the bike does look a little like Walter Matthau.''

Now only three left.

Donald Duck from what ?

Running man not 100% certain.

I am sure I have seen the running old lady before as it looks very familiar.

• Yeah the running old lady is bugging me too...I know I've seen it too!
  • I have finally worked out this Donald Duck image. It is from the 1944 Walt Disney film The Three Caballeros re-released in Australia in the late 1970s.

Original U.S. release poster.

• close, but hands are off as is expression.  Mouth is closed on stock poster.  Still, probably best shot at a match.
  • jayn_j said:
    close, but hands are off as is expression.  Mouth is closed on stock poster.  Still, probably best shot at a match.

If you take another look at  the two The Apple Dumpling Gang images below you will notice minor differences, particularly with the mule, around the eyes, mouth and collar. With the Apple Dumpling Gang and The Three Caballeros their images weren't, at least in the case of The Apple Dumpling Gang, taken off the daybill image as seen below.

The images in this quiz up for identification were taken from a Roadshow stock poster, and as shown below The Apple Dumpling Gang was released by BEF in Australia and either  BEF or GUO  would have re-released The Three Caballeros. As Roadshow only gained the Walt Disney distribution after GUO merged with Village Roadshow in 1987 to form Roadshow Film Distributors, this poster would have been designed and printed for Roadshow, sometime after this date. The two images would  then appear to have been copied from Walt Disney supplied U.S. material, not necessarily exactly the same, onto the stock poster and used for the distribution of the film Every Which Way But Loose, sometime after the original theatrical release in Australia. If the stock poster was printed post 1987 the question must be asked why ? Television, 16mm and videotape releases had well and truly happened by then. If by chance the stock poster had been printed very earlier on after the Australian late 1970s release Roadshow surely would have had to gain permission from BEF / Walt Disney to copy the images. My final question is why would Roadshow place images on their stock posters of scenes from films that were released by another Australian distributor, when they had a lot of their own material to chose from?

Last but not least I still stand by my statement that the Donald Duck image is from The Three Caballeros.

• Seriously, that old lady is driving me nuts!
  • Seriously, that old lady is driving me nuts!

Same here and I will kick myself if the answer is found.
  • She kinda has a Jay Ward vibe to me.  Does the cast on her right leg give any hint?
  • jayn_j said:
    She kinda has a Jay Ward vibe to me.  Does the cast on her right leg give any hint?

Yes if does a little Jay Ward vibe, but it is a cast or a boot?

The best I can up with the image of the man running is that it looks like the man may be a rabbi. Gene Wilder played a Polish rabbi in The Frisco Kid in 1979. It is certainly from the right period and was a Warner Bros. / roadshow release. The only thing though is I can't find an image of Gene Wilder running on any posters or publicity material that  I have sighted. I am not saying it is Gene Wilder from The Frisco Kid but only a slight possibility that it could be.

• I have no idea on that one...doesn't even ring a bell for me.
  • Looked at The Frisco Kid daybill and nothing there. The image of what, to me anyway, is a running rabbi doesn't appear to be of the Polish rabbi character Gene Wilder plays in The Frisco Kid. Probably will remain a mystery.
  • HONDO said:
    jayn_j said:
    She kinda has a Jay Ward vibe to me.  Does the cast on her right leg give any hint?

Yes if does a little Jay Ward vibe, but it is a cast or a boot?

The best I can up with the image of the man running is that it looks like the man may be a rabbi. Gene Wilder played a Polish rabbi in The Frisco Kid in 1979. It is certainly from the right period and was a Warner Bros. / roadshow release. The only thing though is I can't find an image of Gene Wilder running on any posters or publicity material that  I have sighted. I am not saying it is Gene Wilder from The Frisco Kid but only a slight possibility that it could be.

Could be either a cast or a boot, but that's a high heel shoe on her other foot.

I agree on the rabbi thing.  I did a bit of searching on rabbi, Jew, cartoon, image and similar searches when this got posted and came up dry.  BTW, this rabbi is overweight, not something associated with Gene Wilder.
  • I agree that it isn't Wilder but who is it. Very frustrating to say the least. Ves agrees she has seen the old lady as I know that  I have.

• might be an Australia thing.  I know I am totally unaware of Dimboola.  Don't think it got much of a release here in the US.
  • jayn_j said:
    might be an Australia thing.  I know I am totally unaware of Dimboola.  Don't think it got much of a release here in the US.

I am amazed it even received a release in the U.S.A., if only a limited one. Australians were underwhelmed and it was a box office disaster here. The mind boggles to think what American audiences thought of it.

The below French  film The Mad Adventures Of Rabbi Jacob was from the 1970s and one of few movies featuring rabbis, but unfortunately it wasn't the one we are after. I am trying to narrow down the very few films made in the1970s that featured rabbis.

• I am thinking both images are from the same film.

• Here she is...the old lady in the cast...how apt...it was driving me BANANAS!

The rabbi on the far right might even be THE RABBI from the stock poster.

Phew...now I sleep.

• Excellent detective work Ves. I don't believe I would have ever tracked that one down as the 1971 film Bananas was a United Artists release. As far as I can make out it has Roadshow printed on the poster and the other images were distributed by GUO, including the late 1970s re-release by BEF or GUO of The Three Caballeros. The running rabbi is certainly  the one we were after. Seeing both characters appeared to be running, I thought they possibly would have been from the same film, which has  turned out to be true. I like to finalise a quiz and again great work Ves.

• Wow, Ves.  I wasn't even looking on the same planet.  How did you find that?

Congrats.  I bow to your superior sleuthing.
  • edited September 2017

I'm not sure how much sleuthing was involved... :)

I just looked through a bunch of comedy posters from the 1970s on Bruce's site with the wonderful filters....unfortunately for me I started at the end of the 70s first because all the other images were late 70s.

YEP, I AM THAT STUBBORN!  But it was seriously driving me crazy!

• Incredible detective work, Ves!
    I thought the old lady had that Jack Davis flair in her stride.
    And you found it!!