Skip to content

When did Australian Daybills, One sheets and Three Sheets cease for James Bond Posters??

I would like to collect all of the Australian Daybills for the James Bond movies.  However, I am of the opinion (possibly misinformed) that Australian Daybills did not follow through the complete range of James bond Films??

What was the last film that Australian Daybills were produced for the Bond Films??  In order to complete my collection would I then be required to collect US Inserts for the remaining films??

Any advice in relation to the above would be greatly appreciated.  If possible, I would also like to know when the One Sheets and Three Sheets ceased as well.  Was this at the same time??

Cheers Guys, thanks for your advice.

ROB

Comments

• One sheets you can still get, three sheets they don't make anymore...would be banners these days.  Daybills, hmm. ..need to think.
  • I would think from the Brosnan films on, no daybills.  There might be minis but not daybills.
  • You will not be able to substitute daybills with U.S. inserts for later Bond titles, as inserts finished being printed well before Australian daybills stopped being printed. For the later Bond films Australian or U.S.one sheets is your only option.
  • The living daylights is the last bond daybill i recall
  • Licence To Kill ( 1989 ) was probably the last Australian daybill printed for a James Bond film.
  • HONDO said:
    Licence To Kill ( 1989 ) was probably the last Australian daybill printed for a James Bond film.
    Ah yes!
  • Thanks very much for your assistance gentlemen, it is greatly appreciated!!

ROB
  • HDTMONARO said:
    Thanks very much for your assistance gentlemen, it is greatly appreciated!!

Ves is a lady...

Sven is no gentleman...
  • My apologies Ves.....  Thanks for the warning on Sven David.... :-)

• =)   No wukkas, happens all the time!
  • Were Australian Three sheets and One sheets ceased at the same time??  Can anyone recollect when Aussie Three sheets and One sheets ceased production??

Any advice that could be provided in this regard would be appreciated.  If I am to collect 3 sheets I would like to know when I am forced to collect International as opposed to having the choice of Aussie 3 sheets If I can source them.......

Thanks in advance for your knowledge.

Cheers

ROB
  • From I can gather 3 sheets stopped in early 1977, otherwise they would of definitely made them for Star Wars.

One sheets never stopped, they just didn't print them for some movies.

The big question that Ves and I were discussing the other day was why they printed a daybill and a three sheet for House on Haunted Hill 1959 not the one sheet.

• Matt said:

From I can gather 3 sheets stopped in early 1977, otherwise they would of definitely made them for Star Wars.

The big question that Ves and I were discussing the other day was why they printed a daybill and a three sheet for House on Haunted Hill 1959 not the one sheet.

They would have printed a House On Haunted Hill Australian one sheet. It just happens a copy hasn't surfaced as yet. There is a large number of Marilyn Monroe and Jane Russell Austalian one sheets we haven't seen yet just to name a few of the large number of missing one sheets from films of the 1950s. 
  • Matt said:

From I can gather 3 sheets stopped in early 1977, otherwise they would of definitely made them for Star Wars.

Matt, thanks heaps for your information, that certainly makes sense to me, however there are three sheets for "For Your Eyes Only" and that was released in 1981 so unfortunately that blows that theory out of the water.  I am unsure as to whether any later Bond movies than the above title had 3 sheets.

Cheers

ROB
  • Love to see an image of the Australian 3 sheet of ''For Your Eyes only''.
  • HONDO said:
    Love to see an image of the Australian 3 sheet of ''For Your Eyes only''.
    HONDO said:
    Love to see an image of the Australian 3 sheet of ''For Your Eyes only''.
    Unsure as to whether an Aussie 3 sheet exists but US definitely does, John has one for sale on his website.  John doesn't have an image of an Aussie 3 sheet in his archives, so the jury is out as to whether the Aussie three sheet FYEO was produced??  Maybe a collector here has sighted an Aussie three sheet??

• I don't know definitely, but the 1977 timeline Matt mentioned for the discontinuing of printing 3 sheets in Australia appears to be correct to me.
  • HONDO said:
    I don't know definitely, but the 1977 timeline Matt mentioned for the discontinuing of printing 3 sheets in Australia appears to be correct to me.
    OK, this may be my misinterpretation and I apologise.  I misinterpreted 3 sheets in general when Matt may have been specifying 3 sheets for Australia, sorry Matt!!! 

It would therefore appear then if I wish to collect 3 sheets for James Bond, the Aust 3 sheets will only be available up to and including The Spy Who Loved me then I will have to go the US or International 3 sheets.

Is anyone aware of when 3 sheets were discontinued??

Cheers
  • That's ok Rob, that's why we are all open to healthy discussion on topics such as this. :)
  • HONDO said:
    Matt said:

They would have printed a House On Haunted Hill Australian one sheet. It just happens a copy hasn't surfaced as yet. There is a large number of Marilyn Monroe and Jane Russell Austalian one sheets we haven't seen yet just to name a few of the large number of missing one sheets from films of the 1950s. 

Gawd I'd love to see that HoHH one sheet, along with many others you've mentioned.
  • Rob said:
    HONDO said:
    I don't know definitely, but the 1977 timeline Matt mentioned for the discontinuing of printing 3 sheets in Australia appears to be correct to me.
    OK, this may be my misinterpretation and I apologise.  I misinterpreted 3 sheets in general when Matt may have been specifying 3 sheets for Australia, sorry Matt!!! 

It would therefore appear then if I wish to collect 3 sheets for James Bond, the Aust 3 sheets will only be available up to and including The Spy Who Loved me then I will have to go the US or International 3 sheets.

Cheers
    It would appear to me U.S. or International 3 sheets had creased being produced by the end of 1983.
  • Matt said:
    HONDO said:
    Matt said:

Gawd I'd love to see that HoHH one sheet, along with many others you've mentioned.
    What I find interesting is the huge availability today of U.S. one sheets,going back to the 1950's and earlier, with at least one example available for us to see what most titles looked like. Australia is completely different, as stacks of titles haven't been sighted. I have read that compared to daybill production, only a smaller amount of one sheets were printed, which would explain why they are harder to locate. I have also read that perhaps as few as 200 one sheets were produced in Australia up to 1950.Personally I believe more than this would have been printed though, just by knowing that with the total number of cinemas operating up to 1950 and well into the 1960's, that 200 would have been well below the number required by cinema owners. 

• HONDO said:
    Rob said:
    HONDO said:

Cheers
    It would appear to me U.S. or International 3 sheets had creased being produced by the end of 1983.
    Therefore, the last Bond 3 sheet produced would have seen would be For Your Eyes Only or possibly Octopussy.....

I have just searched HA.com and I can see no mention of an Octopussy 3 sheet so it appears to be For Your Eyes Only is the last produced in this size.............. Thanks everyone for your help, it is appreciated.
  • Does anyone remember the name of the Bond collector on APF?

If anyone would know, I think it would be him...he is in the UK I think...

• Adam Carter?

I asked Tomas Nixdorf also so lets see if he knows the definitive answer.
  • No, he was the US guy who never posted pictures right?

The guy am think thinking was from the UK...let me go over and see if I can find him

• Simes...anyone know who he is?
  • I think it was Adam Carter (Adz on APF)...

www.bondposters.com

• HONDO said:
    Matt said:
    HONDO said:
    Matt said:

few as 200 one sheets were produced in Australia up to 1950.Personally I believe more than this would have been printed though, just by knowing that with the total number of cinemas operating up to 1950 and well into the 1960's, that 200 would have been well below the number required by cinema owners. 

A reminder that a former MAPS employee said that the demand for 1SHs was not high and the runs were often no more than 400-500 and in the case of lesser in demand films then a run of 150-200 would be done (because that was the lowest economical run). Also, logic suggests poster were printed based on theatre bookings by the owners.