Skip to content

How often do you go movie theaters vs. catch movies on Netflix etc. - and why?

edited December 2017 in Movie Talk
Charlie said:
Well [Star Wars] has gotten me back into the theater at least once a year.
Charlie's comment triggered this thread.

Ha, I was the same for most of my adult life, once a year, if that much. I never had cable TV and have never used a DVR.

Now that I'm not working I'm the King of Free Time and have hitch-hiked to theaters to see "fun"/roller-coaster thrills/sci-fi movies like:

Blade Runner 2049 (twice)
Wonder Woman (twice)
SW:TLJ (this week, partly spoiled after I unwisely skimmed a negative user review)
Murder on the Orient Express
Close Encounters 40th
Justice League

I also feel obligated to support historical films in theaters:

Dunkirk
Darkest Hour (future)
The Post (future)

The gameplan was to watch lotsa movies on streaming services like Netflix/HBO/etc. but so far I've only watched a grand total of two (Wizard of Lies/DeNiro and SW:R1). Why? Too busy entertaining/terrorizing several online forums and watching 3-4 hours per day of MSNBC news shows and infotainment shows like The Today Show.

How about you - and also does watching movies motivate you to buy the MP (yes, almost always for me)?

Comments

• I go to a movie theater maybe 1-2 times/year.  Usually to be with my grown kids.  What's the point?  I have not 1, but two nice HT setups in my house.  A 65" UHD setup with a Dolby ATMOS receiver and 9.1 speaker setup in the family room, and a 120" front 1080p projector with 7.1 in the basement.  Films are out on disc in a couple of months, and cost to purchase is less than a couple of tickets to the multiplex.

I got dragged to Star Wars on Saturday.  Saw IMAX 2D.  The sound was cranked up so high that I stuffed my ears.  Used to be rock concerts that killed your hearing.  Now its action movies.  Frankly, the HT has better sound, more reasonable levels and the image is damned good.  The only reason to go out is social.

Live theater is another story.  I love it and have season tickets.
  • edited December 2017
    I don't go to the movies , multiple reasons:
    • I fear being that old guy who fell asleep at the movies.
    • I have Foxtel (cable)
    • People with mobiles - last time I went it seemed the whole theatre was lit up.
    • I have  Netflix
    • It's just sooo expensive, and to spend that sort of money on a movie I may dislike or worse, sleep through
  • I go to movies maybe 3-4 times a year. Wish i could go more. Will going to the new Star Wars movie on Christmas day with family-a first for us. 

Yes, it's pricey but I still like the experience of seeing a movie in a big theater. Maybe it's my childhood memories. My mom took her three kids to see movies nearly every week over the summers. The original Star Wars being one of them. 

We have Netflix but we're usually too tired or have mild interest in most movies out. As a parent and working 50+ hours a week, time is the biggest factor. 
  • David said:
    I fear being that old guy who fell asleep at the movies.
    I AM that guy who falls asleep at crappy movies. When a movie is truly good (and paced well) I don't fall asleep.

My message to moviemakers everywhere: Make better movies or install more comfortable seats so we can sleep better!

Here is a handy checklist to help tell eMoviePoster.com apart from all other major auctions!
    HAS lifetime guarantees on every item - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS unrestored and unenhanced images - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS 100% honest condition descriptions - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS auctions where the winner is the higher of two real bidders - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "buyers premiums" - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "reserves or starts over $1 - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS hidden bidder IDs - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS no customer service to speak of - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "nosebleed" shipping charges - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS inadequate packaging - NOT eMoviePoster.com

• edited December 2017
    Some thoughts.Do your homework and only go to see good movies and hopefully you won't end up dozing off. Don't go to sessions at night after around 6.30 p,m, or any on the weekend, and avoid the majority of teen aimed drivel, and then one usually avoids suffering mobile phone usage during the movie.You cannot beat seeing a movie on a big screen.I attend cinemas about ten times a year.
  • I feel asleep once, and ironically it was while I was in college during a second viewing of Star Wars Attack of the Clones.  I sat through the say 6:30 PM viewing had a big sugary soda and my favorites, raisinettes...  Well, after seeing the Yoda fight scene with Count Dooku I was so motivated to see it again, I went straight back in with a quick refill at the 9:00ish showing.  I use to go to a lot of movies alone. Well the sugar hit me and even though I tried my best, I basically nodded off for the entire first part of the movie.  The Yoda-Dooku fight is at the end of the 2 hours. Luckily the sugar-induced hypnotic state wore off minutes before the fight scene and I was able to see it again and finish the movie.
  • Check the responses on MOPO, one chap watches a movie every day!