Skip to content

Will forums eventually be replaced by social media?

Comments

• Maybe the amount of social media platforms that are out there, each containing groups and sub-groups and sub-sub-groups are more of a curse than a blessing. As mentioned previously, as one site/group becomes the flavor of the minute, folks tend to abandon the content left on previously active groups and move on. It just gets lost or deleted over time. The only social media I've ever tried was Facebook, and it wasn't for me. I still have an account, but I don't think I've accessed it for over a year. From the social aspect of the forum vs social media argument, I'm not a good barometer as I've never been successful socially, but with regards to a feeling of permanence, organization and familiarity, I much prefer a forum.  
  • Ha, I used my Stone Age website program iWeb (discontinued 2011!) to update my creaky website's Resource page. I dropped MOPO and NS4 and wrote accurate descriptions of the rest.

The FB pages have 4K(!) members and Reddit has 98K! Even my own FB page has slowly accumulated 400+ followers (although they rarely comment/like anything).

The Modern FB page has too many "for sale" posts and the Vintage FB is mostly UK stuffz (like this forum is mostly daybill worship (haha). The name "allposterforum" is a well-intentioned failure bc it's almost entirely MPs, the name no doubt has cost it hundreds of potential members.

Oh well, I guess the more, the merrier.

http://moviepostercollectors.guide/Resources.html

• 85% are Australians? Like saying biggest crowd. Period.

From memory there is about 500-600+ members
  • edited June 2018

Charlie wrote that about 85%. This really is the Australian forum, might as well be realistic. (Believe me, 60% of Americans would like to move there pronto for the duration of the Donald Trump nightmare!)

Also please suggest any additional nonprofit sites I should add.
  • Just went through the stats for June, for members for have visited or posted on our forum

12 Australia. 42.9%

7 U.S.A. 25%

9 Other (Which includes Wil from NZ) 32.1%

• Matt said:

Just went through the stats for June, for members for have visited or posted on our forum

12 Australia. 42.9%

7 U.S.A. 25%

11% of discussion threads on first page are Australian related. 
  • Matt said:

Just went through the stats for June, for members for have visited or posted on our forum

12 Australia. 42.9%

7 U.S.A. 25%

Mel is no doubt counted as from "Other" or is there a Not of this Planet members section?  =)
  • Whoops my mistake, make that 6 U.S.A. ;)
  • Damn. That walk through technology makes me feel old as I remember placing the trim line phone on the modem, and waiting for the connection. 

But so true. Social media is short quick jabs of comments and very little depth or permanence. 

Old school thinking for me also. Forums rule, particularly the ones where people interact.
  • Pony Express lasted 18 months
  • Who cares... Aussies rule over most anyways.

There are no countries on VMPF - I personally accept all fellow movie poster collectors as my brothers and sisters...

Besides, one day I will return down under and it should be a helluva reunion trek!  
  • Charlie said:

Besides, one day I will return down under and it should be a helluva reunion trek!  
    We all moved months ago...
  • Mailing lists, forums and social media each have different mechanisms and serve different audiences.  Popularity seems to be more a trend and related to age of the audience.

With mailing lists, the info just shows up in your inbox and stays until you delete it.
    The forums require you to actively look, but the data can be permanent. 
    Social media is pretty fleeting.  It may or may not even show up when you bring it up, and it is difficult to find a day later.
  • jayn_j said:
    Mailing lists, forums and social media each have different mechanisms and serve different audiences.  Popularity seems to be more a trend and related to age of the audience.

With mailing lists, the info just shows up in your inbox and stays until you delete it.
    The forums require you to actively look, but the data can be permanent. 
    Social media is pretty fleeting.  It may or may not even show up when you bring it up, and it is difficult to find a day later.
    This must be the reason the youth of today are almost permanently plastered to their devices...regardless what they are doing.  FOMO!
  • A pic shoplifted from one of my FB followers - last name "Beer"  =)

• One of your followers? And you lifted a pic from their page?

Image result for peeping tom

Who's following whom?

• So 53yo Tony van dam started the FB SW Posters Group, which has metastasized to 1,701 members. Sorta recruited me to join. Being an attention-ho I started posting away...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/134503133419690/

• edited June 2018
    Told a PR agency not that long ago: "likes don't pay the rent"
  • David said:
    Agree with this for most businesses, although likes can be profitable. My friend has 240k followers on Instagram and it's lucrative - brands are queuing up to work with her. 
  • Tob said:
    David said:
    Agree with this for most businesses, although likes can be profitable. My friend has 240k followers on Instagram and it's lucrative - brands are queuing up to work with her. 
    Yes of absolutely, however that is very much the skinny end of the pyramid.
  • I seriously doubt VMPF has anywhere near 500 members haha!
  • I seriously doubt VMPF has anywhere near 500 members haha!
    Why? IIRC last count was close to 600 registered members (and that excludes the banned spammers etc)
  • How many REGULAR users does each forum have (ones that post three or more days a week)?
    How many casual users does each have (ones that post maybe once every few weeks)?
    How many non-posting members does each have (ones that might as well be bots)?

Here is a handy checklist to help tell eMoviePoster.com apart from all other major auctions!
    HAS lifetime guarantees on every item - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS unrestored and unenhanced images - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS 100% honest condition descriptions - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS auctions where the winner is the higher of two real bidders - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "buyers premiums" - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "reserves or starts over $1 - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS hidden bidder IDs - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS no customer service to speak of - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "nosebleed" shipping charges - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS inadequate packaging - NOT eMoviePoster.com

• edited June 2018
    Bruce said:
    How many REGULAR users does each forum have (ones that post three or more days a week)?
    How many casual users does each have (ones that post maybe once every few weeks)?
    How many non-posting members does each have (ones that might as well be bots)?
    How many active bidders do you have versus actual members?
    How many people voted in the last election versus those registered to vote?
    How many people follow/are members of any group on FB actually post?
    How many people are members of a gym that only went a few times, at the beginning?

Rule of thumb for forums: 1% actively post, the rest consume. 

This one is no different to the other one with he-who-stalks in charge, or any one of the myriad of Facebook ones. Being a consumer of information (lurker) doesn't mean you can't enjoy the benefits of membership, albeit here one doesn't get thrown out for lurking, as one of the member here did.
  • edited June 2018
    A frustrated minister here wrote article complaining that 20% of his flock did 80% of the work; most of the rest were barely religious. So low participation rates are Universal!
  • Multiple posts - IPad issues!

I haven’t checked the visitor stats to MPC.guide. I asked Registér.com how to check and they sent me crazy-complex instructions so I gave up! So I assume very few read this page  :|

Dude above got 125K likes on Reddit! Maybe can pay rent.

• David said:
    Rule of thumb for forums: 1% actively post, the rest consume. 

This does seem to be the case but the objective of most forums would be to promote dialogue between members as well as provide information. If 99% just consume, I would guess that they consume very little and just show a passing interest in discussions. I wonder how VMP would be without Lawrence's many posts. The fact that so few get involved in discussions is not a criticism of this forum - its just that there are so many places for collectors to go these days that it becomes very difficult for forums.
  • Talk back radio is not rated on the number of calls made but the listeners, 99% of whom do not call in.