Skip to content

Television Episodes Shown Theatrically In Australia Posters

A preview of things to come.

Comments

• Need to get me an Overnight Haul at some point.  Thanks for reminding me!
  • edited April 2018
    I sure hope this thread will include images of the daybills from all five of the Superman compilations, like this one. I have only ever seen two of the five different ones), and they are super rare!

Here is a handy checklist to help tell eMoviePoster.com apart from all other major auctions!
    HAS lifetime guarantees on every item - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS unrestored and unenhanced images - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS 100% honest condition descriptions - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS auctions where the winner is the higher of two real bidders - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "buyers premiums" - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "reserves or starts over $1 - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS hidden bidder IDs - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS no customer service to speak of - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "nosebleed" shipping charges - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS inadequate packaging - NOT eMoviePoster.com

• Excellent, I'll take my seat and start munching on the popcorn and take in the thread
  • edited April 2018

For Bruce and others the daybill images of the only four titles released theatrically in Australia.

Superman And Scotland Yard ( released in Australia in 1954 ).
    Superman Flies Again ( released in Australia in 1955 ).
    Superman In Exile ( released in Australia in 1956 ). 
    Superman's Peril ( released in Australia in 1957 ). 

Some additional information is that an Australian one sheet of Superman's Peril appeared in the Hayden Orpheum Picture Palace movie poster auction in 1995. Apart from me sighting a very small and dark image in the catalogue, I have, to the best of my knowledge, never seen an image of the one sheet for this title, or any other one sheet images of the other three Superman titles listed above.

• What about this? Sadly, I can't find the image at present, but it seems I surely did auction this, so could your information be wrong, and this fifth title WAS released in Australia? Of course, it could be a stock poster or a re-release.

One day I will find the image. But maybe instead I can look up who bought it.

Unless someone else here has it!

http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/archiveitem/10953262.html

Here is a handy checklist to help tell eMoviePoster.com apart from all other major auctions!
    HAS lifetime guarantees on every item - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS unrestored and unenhanced images - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS 100% honest condition descriptions - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS auctions where the winner is the higher of two real bidders - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "buyers premiums" - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "reserves or starts over $1 - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS hidden bidder IDs - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS no customer service to speak of - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "nosebleed" shipping charges - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS inadequate packaging - NOT eMoviePoster.com

• My apologies Bruce as there was a fifth Superman film released in Australia titled Superman And The Jungle Devil. I wouldn't have thought the film would have been released as late as it apparently was in Australia. I have almost all the Sydney release information from the 1950's, but unfortunately I don't have the information for the July 1 1958 to June 30 1959 releases. It would appear Superman And The Jungle Devil was released in Sydney sometime during this period. I have now managed to find that the film was shown in December 1960 at a Sydney suburban theatre and also in Canberra ACT  in January 1961. No daybill located but hopefully you will one day find your 2000 sold image to share with us. To make amends for missing this title, and through some further digging on my part, I have come up with this one sheet image from Worthpoint that I did't know existed. Interestingly it says there are three in total.

• There was a Scotland Yard one sheet floating around on ebay for a while. Was rough shape.
  • What about the edgar wallace mysteries?  Do those ones count?
     Sorry Ves but  the 47 Edgar Wallace adapted film series, that were made by Merton Park Studios for release by Anglo Amalgamated in the U.K. and were originally made for theatrical release as second features. They were released theatrically in the U.K. between 1960-1965. They were only later shown on U.K. television under the Tales Of Edgar Wallace banner. In the U.S.A. they were shown first release in a package titled The Edgar Wallace Mystery Theatre. 

• Next The 20th Century Hour. Remakes of older well known 20th Century Fox films, with some retaining the original titles as the above pictured Laura shows, but many also with new titles. I will cover all the titles from this series that I am aware of that received theatrical releases in Australia.I will include daybill images for the majority and newspaper advertisements where the daybill image is unavailable. Coming soon to the screen in front of you.

• HONDO said:
    What about the edgar wallace mysteries?  Do those ones count?
     Sorry Ves but  the 47 Edgar Wallace adapted film series, that were made by Merton Park Studios for release by Anglo Amalgamated in the U.K. and were originally made for theatrical release as second features. They were released theatrically in the U.K. between 1960-1965. They were only later shown on U.K. television under the Tales Of Edgar Wallace banner. In the U.S.A. they were shown first release in a package titled The Edgar Wallace Mystery Theatre. 

Thanks as always for the info Lawrence :)
  • I think this counts - was a pilot for a TV show:

Image result for baffled daybill
  • Superman and the Jungle Devil daybill:

• Gee, Chris. Might have to rename you the "Super Sleuth"

• The 20th Century Fox Hour was an anthology series that ran for two series between 1955-1957. It consisted of some new material, but mainly they adapted and remade  past successful 20th Century Fox feature films. I have located that at least sixteen of the eighteen titles from series one received a theatrical release in Australia, For the sixteen  titles pictured above I will list the titles, along with the year released in the U.S.A. on television. The original title and year of the film in brackets where it was adapted from an earlier 20th Century Fox film will be included as well.

Broken Arrow ( 1956 ) ( adapted from the 1950 film Broken Arrow ).
    Christopher Bean ( 1955 ). 
    In Times Like These ( 1956 ).
    Laura ( 1955 ) ( adapted from the 1944 film Laura ).
    Man On A Ledge ( 1956 ) ( adapted from the 1951 film Fourteen Hours ).
    Miracle on 34th Street ( 1955 ) ( adapted from the 1947 film Miracle on 34th Street ).
    Mr. Belvedere ( 1956 ) ( adapted from the 1948 film Sitting Pretty ).
    One Life ( 1956 ).
    Overnight Haul ( 1956 ) ( adapted from the 1949 film Thieve's Highway ) ( Richard Conte starred in both versions ).
    The Empty Room ( 1956 ).
    The Hefferan Family ( 1956 ) ( adapted from the 1949 film Chicken Every Sunday ).
    The Latte George Apley ( 1955 ) ( adapted from the 1947 film The Late George Apley ).
    The Ox-Bow Incident (1955 ) ( adapted from the 1943 film The Ox-Bow Incident ).
    Yacht on The High Sea ( 1956 ) ( adapted from an early unknown 1940's film ).

Cavalcade ( 1955). ( adapted from the 1933 film Cavalcade ). No daybill located. Does anyone have one ?
    Gun In His Hand ( 1956 ). No daybill located. Does anyone have one ?

The two films from the first series that I haven't been able to establish that they received an Australian theatrical release for are -

Crack Up ( 1956 ) ( adapted from the 1952 film Phone Call From A Stranger ).
    Deception ( 1956 ).

A mention regarding Heroes Of The Deep ( 1956 ) ( adapted from the 1943 film Crash Dive ). A query as to was this film screened as part of the 20th Century Fox hour or not, as no further details could be located on the film regarding cast or any other credits, including a release date. I only included this title as I found it listed, admittedly only at one source. It possibly may have been intended to be filmed and didn't happen, or filmed and for whatever reason never screened. I am sure it is safe to say that this title wasn't part of the 20th Century Fox Hour screened episodes.

For the second series of 19 films screened on U.S. television 1956-1957 season, I haven't been able to find that any of these titles received a theatrical release in Australia.

One last thing to mention is that all of the fourteen daybills pictured above were printed by W.E.Smith circa 1956. 

• edited August 2018
    I can't find much on this title "Sunk" but it appears to be an episode from season 1 of The Ford Television Theatre from 1952.

• I can't find much on this title "Sunk" but it appears to be an episode from season 1 of The Ford Television Theatre from 1952.

The Ford Television Theatre I had planned to be the next in line to cover.

• edited August 2018
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            My Friend Flicka. Thanks John for your images. I have some more images that I will post soon.

• My Friend Flicka television series consisted of 39 episodes which ran in 1955 and 1956 in the U.S.A. I am not sure how many of the episodes were screened theatrically in Australia, but the displayed images show us at least ten were. 
  • Gun in His Hand daybill. Robert Wagner signed this for me a few weeks ago 

• Good to get that Gun In His Hand image. Thanks for posting.

•  

All above six daybills were printed for the original Australian theatrical release.

Daughter Of Mine original U.S.A. television publicity material above. The Stars Don't Shine was part of the series but a daybill image hasn't been located, but the above Australian newspaper advertisement is proof of it's release here in Australia.

The Ford Television Theatre half hour versions ( 1952 -1957 ). There were 195 episodes shown on U.S.A. television. The series was produced by Screen Gems hence Columbia Pictures handling the theatrical release.

The titles that I am aware of that obtained a theatrical release here in Australia are -

Edge Of The Law ( 1952 ) 
    Sunk ( 1952 ) 
    Emergency ( 1953 )
    The Ming Lama ( 1953 )
    Tangier Lady ( 1953 )
    Daughter Of Mine ( 1954 )
    he Stars Don't Shine ( 1955 )

To date I have located that seven titles out of the original 157 episodes of the series were released in Australia, in it appears in the later half of the 1950's. It is possible there may have been some others also released here, but due to the brevity of the running times, any records are near impossible to locate. It appears that the only way of establishing any other titles is if any other daybills or newspaper advertisements turn up that I will be able to identify titles as being part of the series. This certainly appears that this will be the only way of establishing any more titles.
    I managed to dig up some Edgar Wallace images for anyone interested,

• HONDO said:

Sven said:
    I managed to dig up some Edgar Wallace images for anyone interested,

They were shown first release on U. S. television so why not display them. Here are six more titles, including a one sheet image as well as a daybill image of one of the titles.Interestingly the daybill version of Never Mention Murder is the only image that doesn't feature an Edgar Wallace credit, although one does appear on the one sheet version of the same title.

Anyone have any images of other Edgar Wallace titles?

• More Edgar Wallace  1960 - 1965 series Australian film posters.

An Australian one sheet of The Share Out which had a daybill displayed earlier.

Four more images following of previously not displayed daybill images. No mention of Edgar Wallace on the Dead Man's Chest poster.

• Cheyenne ( 1955 to 1963 ) was an hour ( including commercials ) black and white western  television series, which had 107 or 108 episodes broadcast, depending on which source you believe.

I could only locate five episode that were screened theatrically in Australian in the late 1950's.

The episodes were-

Julesburg ( from season 1 episode 2 1955 )
    The Iron Trail ( season 2 episode 9 1957 )
    The Lone Gun ( season 2 episode 7 1956 ) 
    Johnny Bravo ( season 1 episode 14 1956 )
    Mountain Fortress ( season 1 episode 1 ( 1955 )

Posters printed for the U.K. release of Mountain Fortress.
     R.M.

The Warner Bros, Errol Flynn Rocky Mountain film  from 1950 was used as the basis for this first released  episode of the series. I am fairly sure some footage from the 1950 film was used in the television episode as well.
    Also in the first series of Cheyenne the Warner Bros. film plots of To Have and Have not ( 1944 ) and The Treasure Of The Sierra Madre ( 1948 ) were retold in this western series  also,