Skip to content

DON’T BE A VICTIM … OF MERCENARY MOVIE POSTER (MP) PRICING!

Comments

• The regular forum MP peeps don't need but it's mostly for several FB Groups:

DON’T BE A VICTIM … OF MERCENARY MOVIE POSTER (MP) PRICING!

+ Can I have a moment of your time? WAAAY back in 2010 I created www.moviepostercollectors.guide, a 100% nonprofit site, to educate new MP collectors. It features 50+ “easy-to-understand” illustrated MP authentications, a “fair and balanced” buying guide, many HQ MP images, etc. It - hopefully - has helped out many new/naïve collectors.

+ So how do YOU avoid “walking the plank” built by poster pirates?

+ FIRST, to determine FMV consult the terrific auction history sections of BOTH www.HA.com (HA) and www.Emovieposter.com (EMP) – eBay’s is too limited - as explained here: www.moviepostercollectors.guide/Valuation.html.

+ SECOND, winning auctions at FMV or below is the cheapest way to buy MPs, so check the pending MP auctions as explained here: www.moviepostercollectors.guide/Buying_Guide.html

+ THIRD, if the MP you are seeking is not currently being auctioned, JUST WAIT for the next time! Monitor the auctions and put it on a permanent watch/search list (varies by auction site.

+ NEXT, if waiting fails, search the “buy it now” (BIN) offerings on eBay AND from “reasonable” dealers. Make an offer based on your FMV research and TRANSMIT SCREENSHOTS of sold comparable items.

+ AVOID sellers/dealers who routinely sell for MORE than THREE TIMES FMV. They knowingly fleece new/naïve/lazy MP buyers! As examples, these are the highest-priced recent BIN U.S. sales and MANY (not all) were rip-offs: https://www.ebay.com/b/Original-US-Movie-Posters/18829/bn_16564129?rt=nc&LH_BIN=1&_dmd=2&_sop=16&LH_Sold=1

+ Pay by credit card/PayPal so it will be easy to get refunds for dubious/damaged/misrepresented MPs. See my authentications: www.moviepostercollectors.guide/Authentications.html.

+ Finally, please share this post with others, cut and paste it to other forums, AND refer www.moviepostercollectors.guideto MP newbies.

+ YE BE WARNED! Er, I mean thanks for reading!

+ My 100% nonprofit personal MP Page has 575+ followers, many posts, thousands of XL/HQ MP images. Like/follow www.facebook.com/pg/MoviePosterCollectors to “join the party.” (Click Photos on left, then select All Albums to access MP images.)
    + My 100% nonprofit educational MP site: www.moviepostercollectors.guide = MP Collecting 101: 50+ MP authentications, image showcases, buying guide, etc. (Please refer it to MP newbies)

• Yes, I was motivated to spend several hours on text/image, nothing relevant to this board:

• What a lot of balderdash.

Mercenary Poster Pricing? Poster Pirates? Fair Market Value?

Movie posters are not second hand cars, they are a collectibles - price is set by demand not what the last one(s) sold for, and as far as the statements:

----------------------------

"AVOID sellers/dealers who routinely sell for MORE than THREE TIMES FMV."

Horseshite

I think that's a bit of an insult to all dealers out their who offer a product and service at a price that some (may or may not) be prepared to pay.

"SECOND, winning auctions at FMV or below is the cheapest way to buy MPs".

Bullshite

Since when? I cannot tell you how many posters I have bought NOT at auction cheaper than the price at auctions. And no not just from those offering poster collections for sale but even from regular garden variety dealers.

I thought you were better than puffery.

• Fair Market Value is also difficult to determine when you have some sellers (auctioneers like HA)  adding 20% + and emovieposter and eBay having no add ons.  And just today at HA one sheets for Jaws and Dirty Harry sell for $3000 + - way more than their average. But the demand for these 2 and others (Star Wars, Bond) is so hot that in the best condition there is no FMV.