Skip to content

EMP Weekly WTF????

124»

Comments

• Well done Rick! Its nice to get a surprise and added $$ , now u can buy something you like!
  • Rick said:
    That Rear Window/Paramount stock poster was my consignment...and I'm one happy seller. Heat (Fever) was also mine and I thought it would get more than the stock poster with its dodgy added art. I have a keeper copy of that one with less added art, and it's pretty cool.
    "keeper" is always up to debate Rick... ;)

• Any Sarli you have around, I might be interested. Shoot me a PM
  • Well..... Stupid is as stupid does...
  • It is these results that make people consign. One wonderful result makes up for dozens of not-so-great ones.

I always ask consignors to look at the big picture. "You had 30 daybills and they sold for X amount. If that is more than you hoped for, then what difference does it make if some went lower than you wanted?"

Here is a handy checklist to help tell eMoviePoster.com apart from all other major auctions!
    HAS lifetime guarantees on every item - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS unrestored and unenhanced images - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS 100% honest condition descriptions - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS auctions where the winner is the higher of two real bidders - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "buyers premiums" - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "reserves or starts over $1 - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS hidden bidder IDs - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS no customer service to speak of - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "nosebleed" shipping charges - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS inadequate packaging - NOT eMoviePoster.com

• as usual, the price was determined by 2 bidders who really wanted this one.

I should be so lucky
  • edited March 2020
    jayn_j said:
    as usual, the price was determined by 2 bidders who really wanted this one.

I should be so lucky
    Usually works that way. Happened last week to me with one poster I really wanted at emovie.  It was me and just other bidder throwing punches
  • And Bruce is all:

Image result for dance puppets dance

• Oops... lol

Didn’t even know I bought something. Don’t even know what it is. I do remember a still maybe.

My card expired and I’ve been dealing with it for months. It’s 2020... 

• Could have been the first guy banned from
    both APF and EMP!!!  :D
  • Charlie said:

Oops... lol

Didn’t even know I bought something. Don’t even know what it is. I do remember a still maybe.

My card expired and I’ve been dealing with it for months. It’s 2020... 

"Banned" is too harsh a word. :) How about deactivated?

Since we are one of the only major auctions to NEVER charge interest on unpaid balances, a lot of collectors naturally pay us last, wanting to get the interest charging ones paid first.

But we have to pay our consignors, so our patience only goes so far.

The moment people get current, their account is reactivated.

And we note that while most people DO stay current and answer our emails, there ARE a few who ignore EVERYTHING, until their account is deactivated.

Thanks to everyone for recognizing that it is fair for everyone if everyone pays for their purchases, so that other bidders know they are bidding against real bidders.

Bruce

Here is a handy checklist to help tell eMoviePoster.com apart from all other major auctions!
    HAS auctions where the winner is the higher of two real bidders - IS eMoviePoster.com

• Yeah I think must have been for a shipping charge because I don’t remember buying anything since the Star Wars auction...
  • I think it was this one from March maybe. I don’t remember getting it.

• Did you know that eMoviePoster.com is soon going to reach some VERY significant milestones for our business, some unmatched by ANY auction, anywhere, at any time? When our current Tuesday auctions close on the 29th, that will mean we have reached the remarkable total of results in our Auction History Database to over 1,800,000 overall!

Has ANY auction anywhere ever run this many unique auctions where all the items auctions are actually shipped from the same location? And when we add our NEXT set of Tuesday auctions that START on the 29th, that will be our ONE THOUSANDTH set of Tuesday auctions!

Yes, it was a thousand Tuesdays ago (and THIRTY ONE years ago) that we started our Tuesday night auctions, far and away the longest running regular movie poster auction event ever! And for those of you wondering, we are now on our 668th Thursday Auction and our 541st Sunday auction (because they were of course added later).

And this email club has now posted/sent 980 club messages, even though it actually started almost a full year before the Tuesday auctions began, back in 1998. The reason there have been fewer club messages than Tuesday auctions is that sometimes I was so busy I did not send/post a club message, but it did not happen very often.

If all goes according to plan, the 1,000th club message will be posted/sent in late July of 2021! And at our current rate of auctioning, we will have our 2,000,000th auction in 20222! And we will likely have our 3,000th consignor (we are currently at 2,729) sometime in late 2021!

And it is seeming very likely that 2020 will end with sales of over $5,000,000, which will mean we have averaged over five million is sales per year for the past NINE years!  And then, sometime in 2021, we will pass ONE HUNDRED MILLION DOLLARS in REAL sales!

And most fascinating of all (to me, at least!), our upcoming December Major Auction starts on December 8, 2020, and that is almost EXACTLY 30 years to the day after our first historic auction at Christie's auction house in New York City, which was the very first all-movie poster auction by a major auction hours!

What further milestones await for eMoviePoster.com in the future? Only time will tell!

• Congratulations Bruce, you run the best and most honest auctions hands down. I'm a satisfied customer from both buying and selling and I'll be doing both for a while yet.

Peter
  • edited September 2020

A great accomplishment indeed. Congratulations Bruce to you and your team and all the very best for the future.
  • edited April 2021
    I just don't see these recent increases as statistically significant, they have to be outliers or driven by stimulus. Prices don't jump 80% from established norms and twice for what is sold for in less than 10 years. I'll just say that some Americans got stimulus checks but business owners got salaries...  That or we have some new deep pockets.

Butt-hurt? Yep... Wife approved a $10K go at the Snow White or at the Rear Window (which ended at $6500 - too high). Seems a common theme, me ranting about increase in auction prices. Guess I'll have to wait until 2028 for one of these collectors to send them back to Bruce for another go.

All in all, congrats Bruce on a great auction!

SNOW WHITE & THE SEVEN DWARFS one-sheet SOLD for $16,450!
    AFRICAN QUEEN linen English one-sheet SOLD for $16,000!
    2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY acetate poster SOLD for $15,500!
    BREAKFAST AT TIFFANY'S linen six-sheet SOLD for $11,554!
    FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE English half-sheet SOLD for $8,750!
    ESCAPE OF JIM DOLAN linen one-sheet SOLD for $7,750!
  • That Native Son 2 sheet did very well too!
  • Yours? Congrats!?
  • No, I wish!!
    I had hope when it sat at $205, but in the last hours it jumped at over $1000...
  • Thanks guys! And as is often the case, especially when you compare "apples to apples and oranges to oranges" (especially when it is the same size poster from the same movie auctioned days apart! And we charge MASSIVELY lower commissions!