Skip to content

Opinion on poster are they reproductions

Hi I am new to the forum and don't really know much about how to tell reproductions from originals, I have quite a few that came from a relation who worked for a while in picture hall, We have just came across them again while clearing the loft.
I will try and attach photos.
Any help would be really appreciate.
Thanks
Having problems attaching photos.

Answers

• Try to give us titles and dimensions.  That is usually the easiest clue.
    For example, anything 11x17" is invariably a repro.  If it is pre 1990 and measures 27x40, it is also either a repro or a late re-release poster.

Most early 1 sheets measure 27x41" and are folded.  Later stuff tends to be rolled, but there are numerous exceptions.

Beyond that, we need more specific information.
  • Hi thank you for reply, I have managed to load photos to my name folders, but still having problems linking them to forum.
    Thanks will measure them just now.

• Hi Davy and welcome here,

If you click the ''Activity'' heading on the above left hand side of this page you will find twelve poster images of yours displayed there.
  • Hi Hondo thank you, did you have a look at the photos, what do you think of posters are they reproductions.
    Thanks 
  • edited January 2020
    Davy33 said:
    Hi Hondo thank you, did you have a look at the photos, what do you think of posters are they reproductions.
    Thanks 
    U.S.A. film poster reproductions aren't something I must admit that I know all that much about. On saying that and having a look at them it certainly would appear that the How The West Was Won, Showboat and the Kismet posters are reproductions due to the similar numbering style on the bottom left hand corner of the poster. Although not available to see this information I would believe that Singin 'In The Rain is also a reproducttion poster also, and it has the generic MGM coyright in the bottom right hand corner exactly as it appears on the other three MGM posters as well.Hopefully Bruce can confirm if this information is correct or not and give some more detailed information.

The Stepfather appears to be a U.K. poster. Whether of not it it as an original theatrical poster, a video release poster or a reproduction  I am unable to say.

• Lawrence is correct on the U.S. posters.

Here is a handy checklist to help tell eMoviePoster.com apart from all other major auctions!
    HAS lifetime guarantees on every item - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS unrestored and unenhanced images - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS 100% honest condition descriptions - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS auctions where the winner is the higher of two real bidders - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "buyers premiums" - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "reserves or starts over $1 - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS hidden bidder IDs - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS no customer service to speak of - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "nosebleed" shipping charges - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS inadequate packaging - NOT eMoviePoster.com

• Bruce said:
    Lawrence is correct on the U.S. posters.
    My feeling as well.  The earlier posters would have had union markings and NSS numbers in the lower right corner if original.  It also appears that some of the images are trimmed or printed such that the border is missing.
  • Hi thanks for all your help, I thought myself that they did not look right.
    Many thanks.
  • Everybody agtrees that the four  MGM posters are reproductions, but the poster of The Stepfather ( 1987 ) is the odd one out.

I had originally stated -  '' The Stepfather appears to be a U.K. poster. Whether or not it is an original theatrical poster, a video release poster or a reproduction I am unable to say.''

Looking at the poster again it certainly is a British poster due to the British censorship rating. I am thinking now due to the condition of the poster, the two U.K. post release reviews, and the tagline of it being a Nationwide box office smash, that the poster is likely to be from the U.K. video release. What seals this for me in my thiinking is the Virgin Premiere logo. 

•  Perhaps Paul may have some thoughts / information on the Stepfather poster.
  • Thank you for all your help, I really appreciate it.
    Kind regards
    Davy
  • Nice detective work Hondo, Stepfather is a UK video release poster. Virgin released it in mid October 87..

Not worth a great deal, I'm afraid.
  • Paul said:
    Nice detective work Hondo, Stepfather is a UK video release poster. Virgin released it in mid October 87..

Not worth a great deal, I'm afraid.
    Thanks for confirming that Paul.
  • Hondo, I found this in the activity section:

Hi Matt,

Something odd has happened. I posted some follow up information on the  recent thread '' Opinion on poster are they reproductions'' thread. It was there last night but today has vanished without a trace, Would this per chance have something to do with the thread being marked as being answered. 

As the original posting was only 80% answered is there a possibility to reinstate my information posted yesterday which addresses the other 20% ( The Stepfather ?

Lawrence.

Did you resolve this?
  • This problem has been resolved now. Thanks for asking though.

The details behind it are as follows -

My posted query that you have just reproduced here was sent to Matt by private email. I didn't receive a reply back from him but the information appeared on this thread the following day. It appears to be slightly out of chronological order order now 

I notice that a private email from you to Davy33 around the same time appears in the activity section as well as all of Davy's posted images.

A concern here is that private emails can end up as public information for one and all to read.

Any history as to what happened here?