Skip to content

The Eisenhower Linenbacking Experience...

Comments

• A loverly package with some loverly posters arrived this week.!
    LOVE EM.  Have been smiling for days.  Just what my busy days needed!

All great, but Angels One Five and Way of the Gaucho are stunning now.  THANK YOU!

• They look awesome, and must've come from a very talented pair of hands! Congratulations!
  • Thank you for the kind words, Ves. I’m so very glad they all turned out to your liking.  :) It means a lot. 

Angels and Gaucho really are the standouts, but I gotta say, although Chinatown was a simple Deacid bath and backing, that purple really stands out. 

Thanks as well, Rock and Charlie, appreciate it.  B)

Time really is the great prohibitor in working on more paper. Such fun though! 

• It’s been quite a while as I had to temporarily halt operations for wee bit but had some time recently to begin, work on and complete a few projects. 

First up-a wonderful 62? Rerelease (@Hondo ?) of The Ten Commandments. 

Minimal resto work as it was in great shape to begin with—-and it was ready to be cut down and trimmed.

I also finally finished touching up and cutting down a US Half Sheet that had been in a frame since the Clinton Administration!

both turned out treat!

• I also had some time to start another awesome looking Daybill. 

This 1971 Shaft Daybill was in nice shape with the exception of a small tear in the upper left border. 

• Nice Work!
  • edited January 2020
    He's back! 
    Nice to see this thread revived!
    Oh and nice job of those posters!
    Beautiful colors on the half sheet
  • Great work Mark!
  • Nice one Bro...you're still smashing it!
  • Thanks much guys-i thought 2020 would be less distracting than 2019, but alas....

here is Shaft finally cut and trimmed. paper replacement on The Italian Job next. 

• Looks great!
  • It does look great!  
  • Thanks guys. It’s been a crazy last 45 days as we’ve all bee adjusting to our new world, but I’ve managed to get a couple things moving along. 

Here’s a piece I backed yesterday: it had quite a bit of toning and the paper was aged, rough and the fold lines were weak. It had three fold lines and the middle one was of most concern as the poster was going to receive a light bleaching and would stay wet longer, further adding to the weakness of the paper during the wash. 

Pre wash picture

Middle fold line which gave me concern during the wash-weakness/separation alert!  :o

Fortunately, it held together during the last 15 mins of the wash and when I finally laid it down on the Masa paper. 

• Skilled hands always prevail. Great work, Mark!
  • Fabulous work as always...
  • Thanks Rock and Ves! There are two areas that will require pieces of paper infill, and a little bit of touchup on the black lettering and then be ready to be cut down. 

Here’s another project I’m close to finishing. It had a tear in the middle left and some pieces of paper missing, it shouldn’t be too difficult to touch up the bottom portion of the border. 

•  The wash went well, the missing pieces areas were taped off, paper infill was put in place, now it’s ready to be burnished, and the bottom orange piece painted in. 

• Great work Mark! Can't wait to see The Italian Job on its way.
  • Up next!  This Mickey Rooney piece, which looks fine, but actually has  completely separated at the top full line and has been taped on the back side. This one certainly will be a lot of fun! 

• Thanks Matt! It’s a great looking poster! Now I just have to execute the colors missing on the bottom. ....here’s hoping! :D
  • More great work, Mark! Well done! It looks like The Fireball will present it's own set of challenges. Keep 'em coming!
  •  Thanks guys!  And you’re right Rock! Fireball certainly presented challenges today when I was removing the tape! 

There was actually one completely broken fold line, and another one that was taped to support it. So there were actually two complete lines of tape on the back that had to be removed.

Occasionally there was about 3-4 small pieces of vertical tape to hold onto the long lines of tape which presented additional challenges.

A few pieces of poster came off in the effort, but overall tape removal was successful, after 90 min & about a cup of “liquid” it all worked out nicely. 

The Fun!?.....

• To the left of the knife-the other strip of tape 

• edited May 2020
    Patience has never been my strong point, but this really is fun!

Salvaged pieces, now to figure out where they go! 

•  And lastly, these are the two areas during the wash that will present the most challenges, as I fear that top, 1 & 2 piece will  separate from the rest of the poster and I have 4 pieces to lay down!??

•  From the front side it looks ....good!?

To be continued....
  • A cliffhanger? Maaaannnn, that's cold.  ;)
  • Ohhh...looks like a bit of a challenge. Best of luck.