Skip to content

February 2020

Nothing happened on january?
I got lucky recently, found a good lot job.

Included were a poster for the first sound film made down here (altough is not remembered as such because it premiered 3 years after it was concluded) and another poster for the same film, but not fully printed

Comments

• Same with this one

• And some other stuff...  :)

• Gorgeous!.  I need more Argentine posters.  What's up with the partial print ones?
  • And my favorite of the bunch. A full size pencil drawn poster. The grid is also pencil. This was probably the reference sketch used by the lithographer to create the poster

• I WANT THIS SO BADLY!
    That is simply FANTASTIC!

• My curiosiry has gotten the better of me. Any idea Matias what the original U.S.A. title was for this poster? Robert Allen was mostly billed as Bob Allen, particulary for his starring roles in  'B' grade westerns.

Ranger Courage ( 1937 ) is the closest I can find in U.S. poster artwork that looks as it could be the same film as your posted film image.
  • Lawrence, I doubt the poster was for a specific Allen title. Pretty sure this was going to be a stock poster. Cowboy films were extremely popular down here and there are local stock posters for most western stars.
    The reference image used for the poster may well be from Ranger Courage. All the posters in the lot were from 1935 to 1939...

• 110x75 said:
    Lawrence, I doubt the poster was for a specific Allen title. Pretty sure this was going to be a stock poster. Cowboy films were extremely popular down here and there are local stock posters for most western stars.
    The reference image used for the poster may well be from Ranger Courage. All the posters in the lot were from 1935 to 1939...

Thanks for that. Tried to translate into English the two lines of Spanish appearing on the poster. The best I could come up with is ''Adventures In ? West Full From ?'', The poster folds don't help with two of the Spanish words. Can you help out here?

• HONDO said:

Thanks for that. Tried to translate into English the two lines of Spanish appearing on the poster. The best I could come up with is ''Adventures In ? West Full From ?'', The poster folds don't help with two of the Spanish words. Can you help out here?

"Adventures in the west, plenty of action"

• Wow amazing lot Matias!  The partially printed posters are interesting and that pencil sketch is just fantastic as a unique piece of history.

Oh and I might like Penitentiary just a little bit ;)
  • Wow amazing lot Matias!  The partially printed posters are interesting and that pencil sketch is just fantastic as a unique piece of history.

Oh and I might like Penitentiary just a little bit ;)
    I know you might... :)
    That one is partially printed too
  • HONDO said:

110x75 said:
    Lawrence, I doubt the poster was for a specific Allen title. Pretty sure this was going to be a stock poster. Cowboy films were extremely popular down here and there are local stock posters for most western stars.

110x75 said:
    HONDO said:

"Adventures in the west, plenty of action"

Most certainly a stock poster then. Two other Argentinean western stock poster images  follow for Buck Jones and Bob Steele stock posters.

The Robert ( Bob ) Allen poster you posted is certainly a nice looking poster. I'm thinking though that the bright looking red outfit he wore must have presented his foes with a great target, assuming it was red in the black and white western  films that he made.  
  • What an excellent bunch, Matias. would love the pencil sketch one..
  • Picked up this duo tone Broadway Gondolier to go with my full colour version.

Gives me hope that some full colour versions are out there for some of my other duo tones!
  • A hard get for the aussie collection, but thrilled to have it.  Raised the eyebrows of the other half as well

• Very rough around the edges but finally tracked down this version!  YAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

• Two nice daybills of Broadway Gondelier from 1935. It is hard enough to locate many long daybill titles from the 1930s at all, let alone two different versions of the same designed title. 

What I found interesting is the presentation of ''Warner Bros. The No 1 Company presents" on the posters. I cannot recollect seeing this appearing on any other 1930s Warner Bros. daybills. If this is the case then these two posters would have to be placed in the rare category, 

Ves said - 

''Gives me hope that some full colour versions are out there for some of my other duo tones!''

Seeing the two Broadway Gondelier daybills were printed by two different printers, this should give you some hope then that colour versions were printed as well for all your other duotone long daybills from the 1930s. 

• Gives me hope that some full colour versions are out there for some of my other duo tones!

HOPE. That's a big thing in this hobby!
  • Liking the Suzi Q, Ves...
  • I like both of those, Ves. Nice ones.

I still need to watch 'What We Do in the Shadows', I really like Taika Waititi's humour, so not sure why it has taken me so long. 
  • I’m a bit behind but I thought you guys might like this one!

Here are the rest:

• Love the Scarface.  Best poster for the film.

Your ah "organisation skills" are so close to mine it's not funny :)
  • Who cares about organization when you have a bottle of wine like the one I see on that table? 
    Not me, that's for sure...
  • edited February 2020
    110x75 said:
    Who cares about organization when you have a bottle of wine like the one I see on that table? 
    I thought about you the other day. The wife and I had a bottle of Pulenta Estate Gran Malbec ‘X’ reserve the other night... It knocked us on our butts but it was niiiiccccce.

• Love the Scarface.  Best poster for the film.

Your ah "organisation skills" are so close to mine it's not funny :)
    Glad to know I’m not alone. Just don’t ask Matias how long it took me to find his three Japanese beauties... :#
  • Charlie said:
    110x75 said:
    Who cares about organization when you have a bottle of wine like the one I see on that table? 
    I thought about you the other day. The wife and I had a bottle of Pulenta Estate Gran Malbec ‘X’ reserve the other night... It knocked us on our butts but it was niiiiccccce.

Beauty!
  • Charlie said:

Here are the rest:

My filing system isn't much better. God knows what's up there! Been up there about 20 years.

Peter