Skip to content

Orange Mad Max

Comments

• Well holy grail or not I’ll always be excited to have it and knowing my good friend tipped me to it when he could have had it for himself...

btw Bruce has auctioned 12 Halloween OS; Heritage 2 and the countless other I’m sure have been sold.  That population statistic is already at least 4x the Orange MM...

• It is still a highly sought after poster and a rare one that would always be prized by Mad Max collectors. Its just the story about it being some sort of special first printing that is questioned. 

There are a number of other examples of the same original artwork being printed in different colours for various films.

• Wish I had one, Charlie. It's a very desirable poster and will continue to go up in value. I'm sure you didn't pay anything like $5K with that sneaky MADMAX typo!
    This is my NM mauve one sheet. Ves would die at the three-figure price I snapped it up for!!

• edited May 2018
    Ves hates paying any money for any Mad Max paper...I do know of a few more copies of the Orange, but like Mark said...regardless how many are out there it will always be the one collectors want...
  • This thread was only ever about separating the fact from fiction. We've all heard the stories, and with big prices being asked, it's only fair that collectors know the truth. I think there are probably equal numbers of mauve and orange posters out there. They could have been released at the same time, but it does seem unlikely in light of the other advertising material that we've seen.
    Orange still trumps all others and that won't change. There is no matching daybill and they do appear to vary greatly in colour saturation.

• edited February 2020
    Some movement in the “Orange One”... John sold one and a guy claimed to have scored one. Not sure if they are one and the same.
  • I highly doubt that the print run would have been restricted to 100. I have had 8 Orange one sheets over the years. Bruce has had three and others have appeared from time to time. 
  • edited February 2020
    Greg out in Tyabb just had one a couple weeks back.  That is at least he 3rd or 4th he's had that I know of.

So to those who value this one above all others...question.  Why?  It's not the first release (at best a second printing likely).
    It is because the belief is that only 100 were ever out there?  Or something else?
  • edited February 2020
    Im thinking as only two have been auctioned on emovieposter its considered "ultra rare" . Im guessing the winners probably dont know how many have been sold within Australia and not to mention us aussie horders who sit on multiple copys for 30 plus years! 
  • So even if we count all those as individuals we are still at 15. Are we certain none of those posters were not resold. John’s poster ends up at emovieposter and they end up at cinemasterpieces etc.  Plus my guess would be some of those resold. I know that many dealers buy and mark them up in the US. 

Have we done a count of the mauve? 

The reason I was excited is that I’ve been told, read, and understood the Orange MM was the best one, “holy grail” because of limited print run. That only 75-100 were printed for added demand. I’ve believed this for 20 years... All way before Bruce sold his and we started this thread. I never thought I would even have a chance at one - never thought we would be having this conversation.

The story was that the Orange was printed after the success of the initial release In Australia, so that more theaters could show the film. Yes a second printing - not sure when that came into doubt. That the first run was 300 and another 100 as more theaters demanded the film. 

As to color - that is an Aussie thing. Why are some Dirty Harry’s blue and some that grey blue color.

I could also say that either way - saying 100 is accurate or 100 is wrong - we don’t really know. Did one person hoard 15 copies? Did only 60 of the 100 copies end up going out? I still think there are a lot of hardly used copies.

Is it really illogical to think that 15 posters could surface for the very best and most valuable Mad Max poster even if there were only 100 made. 

Every time one turns up - jackpot... I really don’t understand the logic behind the doubting if the print run. You guys think someone just made it up 20 years ago?

Plus, when someone finds one - who are they going to call - either John or Tyab’s...

How many dealers are there in Australia? I would also bet the one’s that EMP auctioned came from these dealers - they weren’t printed here!

So do we have comparative quantities for other so called rare posters?

• Also keep in mind this is a poster from 1979 not the 1930s...
  • So the dude making the claims is the guy that owns the original interceptor vehicle...
  • Roughly 700 theaters in Australia 1979.

300 purple one sheets plus daybills. Second print run of 100 Orange one sheets no daybills. 

Over half the theaters in Australia - banned in New Zealand. Third run covers the remaining 300. 

https://www.screenaustralia.gov.au/fact-finders/cinema/industry-trends/screens-and-theatres
  • edited February 2020
    Yeah you want it to be only 100 because that's the main reason you bought it right.  I get it.  I don't care either way, but if the claim is that scarcity is such to justify the $, prove it.  That's all.  All I've read and heard is hearsay.   I don't have to prove more than 100, I'm not making the claim.  Let's see what car guy says.  You have 3 well know and respected dealers saying something fishy, but 1 guys website with no proof is what you are banking on.  Yes it could be true, but it could not, hence some proof would be good. 
  • I'm with whomever said likely equal copies of each colour for whatever reason.  
  • There has been nothing presented here that nullifies that claim or is fishy. There are still possibly 75 missing posters from 1980!  These things didn’t get used as insulation or tossed. There were a many a collector by early 1980s...

I still suspect 5 of them are resales. All US listings are resales. Just because three poster dealers in Australia have seen 15% of the posters since 1979??? I don’t see that as proof. The majority of these coming along with the speed of the internet. 

Also, why don’t you guys have to prove it? You guys are the ones attempting to nullify a 20+ year old claim that everyone in the hobby, including the majority of this collective, has believed until recently. The majority of these opinions from folks who don’t want it to be true because they don’t have one.

That and the biggest and best dealers on the planet have been willing to step out and claim the same. I don’t have to prove anything - it’s what everyone already believes.

I also don’t understand why the first claim would simply be made up. There has to be some origin or story to go along with the claim.

That being said, guess I’ll have to get a mauve just in case. Could display them like Warhol prints mauve, orangs, blue... ;)
  • edited February 2020
    I also know of a number of other orange one sheets in private collections including multiples with one collector. Its important to be aware that there is no way every poster for a particular film that was printed will turn up at some time in the future. Some cinema owners appreciated them and kept them but many were thrown in the garbage after use. 

There is a possibility that the print run for the orange one sheets was low but my guess is that it would be more than 100. Whatever the truth is about the print run, the orange one sheet is quite rare and very desirable.
  • I also bought it because I was told forever it was the absolute best poster to get for Mad Max... The print run only supports that. 

• @HONDO do you have access to week by week theater release data? If we could isolate the number of theaters by week Mad Max was showing, it might help support the claim...
  • John said:
    I also know of a number of other orange one sheets in private collections including multiples with one collector. Its important to be aware that there is no way every poster for a particular film that was printed will turn up at some time in the future. Some cinema owners appreciated them and kept them but many were thrown in the garbage after use. 

There is a possibility that the print run for the orange one sheets was low but my guess is that it would be more than 100. Whatever the truth is about the print run, the orange one sheet is quite rare and very desirable.
    Well I will say one thing. Unless we get the actual purchase order from the printer, nothing will be proven. Population won’t prove the 300 claim either. 

I just despise that one of the most prized posters in my collection is getting attacked. I wanted it the first time I saw it. I bought into the hype true or not. It is a highlight in my collecting activities. I apologize if I’ve ruffled any feathers here. I’ll report back if I hear from interceptor guy.
  • You will never be able to get an accurate count of how many there really are.  For all the reasons both you and John have stated.

Believe me there are a lot of posters I don't have, that I would love, several owned by members here.  Matt, I'm talking about  you.  This ain't one of them.  have had a few opportunities to pick one up, so yeah but nah.  I'm sure if John really wanted one he could have kept any or all the copies he has had.  If anything it is in his financial interests for there to be less than 100.

I'm not the one claiming there are less than 100.  So I have nothing to prove.  I've said either way, I don't care, could be true could no.  I'm not perpetuating a story I don't have the facts on.   Dealers claim a lot, until they don't.  Things change over time.  We learn.

Again none of this changes nor will it change the fact, this is the one all MM collectors do and will continue to want.  

You will believe what you want, and I will continue to wait for something substantive.
  • Charlie said:
    John said:

Well I will say one thing. Unless we get the actual purchase order from the printer, nothing will be proven. Population won’t prove the 300 claim either. 

I just despise that one of the most prized posters in my collection is getting attacked. I wanted it the first time I saw it. I bought into the hype true or not. It is a highlight in my collecting activities. I apologize if I’ve ruffled any feathers here. I’ll report back if I hear from interceptor guy.
    I'm not sure why you take it so personally.  If you loved it then love it now.  Why shouldnt you!  Doesn't change it's rarity, regardless how many are out there or were printed.  
  • Charlie said:
    John said:

Well, I really don't understand why you think this is an "attack". Despise is a very strong word! I am just expressing an opinion not attacking anyone or anything and I thought expressing an opinion and an exchange of information was what this forum was all about.
  • Charlie said:
    @HONDO do you have access to week by week theater release data? If we could isolate the number of theaters by week Mad Max was showing, it might help support the claim...
    Unfortunately I believe this is a pipe dream to think  we would  to be able to locate this type of information. If it still exists, which is doubtful, it is most likely sitting gathering dust in a vault somewhere, and most likely never to surface. 
  • HONDO said:
    Charlie said:
    @HONDO do you have access to week by week theater release data? If we could isolate the number of theaters by week Mad Max was showing, it might help support the claim...
    Unfortunately I believe this is a pipe dream to think  we would  to be able to locate this type of information. If it still exists, which is doubtful, it is most likely sitting gathering dust in a vault somewhere, and most likely never to surface. 
    Another question to ask would be why would they limit a printing run to just 100 posters. I would have thought that it would be more economical to print a greater number of posters than 100.

I don't think anyone really knows how many were printed but if it was indeed more than 100 it will still always be a highly sought after poster. I kind of wish I had kept at least one for myself.
  • John said:
    Charlie said:
    John said:

Well, I really don't understand why you think this is an "attack". Despise is a very strong word! I am just expressing an opinion not attacking anyone or anything and I thought expressing an opinion and an exchange of information was what this forum was all about.
    You are absolutely correct about opinions and information. We want those - I was also sharing mine. I am happy to have this conversation. My  comments are presented as debate..

I apologize if my posts seemed personally directed at you or anyone else - they were not. 

I guess I’ve been giving the story the benefit of the doubt. That it should be based on something. I generally work/live on the positive side of things. That most people are honest and have good intentions.

As someone who has been a proud owner of one - some of these comments sting a bit. So it
    is probably coming out in my writing.

I promise you, no one who thinks he has a holy grail in his collection want to be told he is a fool. 
  • John said:
    HONDO said:
    Charlie said:
    Another question to ask would be why would they limit a printing run to just 100 posters. I would have thought that it would be more economical to print a greater number of posters than 100.

I don't think anyone really knows how many were printed but if it was indeed more than 100 it will still always be a highly sought after poster. I kind of wish I had kept at least one for myself.
    I recall a discussion (unrelated to this one sheet) a while back.  Not sure if it was here or on NS.
    At the time, details were shared by guys who worked in distribution at companies such as Roadshow.
    I have it stuck in my mind, that at around the time of these posters (70s and 80s) a print run of anything less than 500 was unheard of.  Too expensive.

Hence I dunno about the claims of only 300 of the mauve or 150 of the blue.

A final thought on this, if the orange came to be because the film was so popular another run was needed, why only print 75 to 100?  

Charlie said:

I promise you, no one who thinks he has a holy grail in his collection want to be told he is a fool. 
    I still don't think anything changes the fact that for MM collectors, it will ALWAYS be the holy grail.