Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Orange Mad Max

13»

Comments

• CharlieCharlie Member, Administrator, Moderator, Game Master Posts: 6,805 admin
    John said:
    HONDO said:
    Charlie said:
    @HONDO do you have access to week by week theater release data? If we could isolate the number of theaters by week Mad Max was showing, it might help support the claim...
    Unfortunately I believe this is a pipe dream to think  we would  to be able to locate this type of information. If it still exists, which is doubtful, it is most likely sitting gathering dust in a vault somewhere, and most likely never to surface. 
    Another question to ask would be why would they limit a printing run to just 100 posters. I would have thought that it would be more economical to print a greater number of posters than 100.

I don't think anyone really knows how many were printed but if it was indeed more than 100 it will still always be a highly sought after poster. I kind of wish I had kept at least one for myself.
    I recall a discussion (unrelated to this one sheet) a while back.  Not sure if it was here or on NS.
    At the time, details were shared by guys who worked in distribution at companies such as Roadshow.
    I have it stuck in my mind, that at around the time of these posters (70s and 80s) a print run of anything less than 500 was unheard of.  Too expensive.

Hence I dunno about the claims of only 300 of the mauve or 150 of the blue.

A final thought on this, if the orange came to be because the film was so popular another run was needed, why only print 75 to 100?  

If there were only 700 theaters or less theaters in the 70s-80s and materials were still being passed around by MAPS, 500 one sheets doesn’t make much sense either.  Especially if you add the daybill into the mix.  Also the thought that all print runs were the same is also flawed as there are many many more Apocalypse Now OS sold/available than MM or Alien for example.  

There also seem to be premiers in multiple cities.  Originally premiering in Melbourne on April 12, 1979 but not in Sydney until July 5th...  April 12 was part of some type of premiere week. 

The April 12 Premier in Melbourne

Poster from Sydney Premier

I pulled Sydney Heralds:

July 5th, 1979 (There was no MM listed July 4th)

July 6, 1979  (Ad kept appearing until change on July 13th which coincides with poster.)

July 6, 1979 review of opening.

July 8th More In Depth Review

Note the line: "This is the first feature film made by Dr. George Miller, and Australian medico and film-maker. Thanks to seven-figure sales overseas, it became the most commercially successful modern Australian movie even before its home ground launching. 

So there were seven figure sales overseas before the Sydney premiere?  This film is all over the place!

July 13, 1979 - Two Sydney theaters start advertising Mad Max.  I imagine this is when purple posters started arriving? 

July 15, 1979 - Again at two theaters.

July 31, 1979 - Again only two theaters.
    August 15th - Again only two theaters.

I'll start a new post looking for more...
    That second mouse in the bowl of cream we call life...
  • CharlieCharlie Member, Administrator, Moderator, Game Master Posts: 6,805 admin
    edited February 28

Random Date September 2, 1979 - Only showing at Union; dropped from Village and not at Hoyts.

Checked December/January and it basically disappears by January 1980.

Checked Mid 1980 and it shows back up at the Village possibly on the back of the US release:

What I am wondering is - if this movie is only showing at two theaters in Sydney (despite it have over 30 theaters) and lets say we consider two theaters at one go in the major cities like:

Sydney 
    Melbourne
    Brisbane
    Perth
    Adeliade
    Tweeds Head
    Newcastle
    Canberra

Thats 16 Theaters... 16 posters maybe 32 if they took two.

Let say the film rotates in and out of smaller areas: maybe they all get it at the same time worst case.

We are only looking at 10 more theaters
    Sunshine Coast
    Wollongong
    Geelong
    Hobart
    Townsville
    Cairns
    Darwin
    Toowoomba
    Ballarat
    Bendigo
    Albury
    Launceston

So at any one time poster we might have posters at 26 theaters plus lets say we have another 80 in rotation for the film prints and posters. Assume 50% of the time film and posters are in transit. 

So that is just over 100 theaters theaters and around 120 posters.  And the film needs three runs of 500 posters???  Nah...

I am more of the belief that the print runs of Muave and Orange were both at 100 than 300.  The muave runs out (also gets consumed by urbanism) first and there are left over oranges that get sent out to the rural theaters and back in the urban areas for the mid-1980 lift from US screenings.  Blues make the dollar theater runs.
  • HONDOHONDO Member Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭✭ Le Grande Collector

October 1979 advertising for Mad Max for screenings at a northern beachside suburb of Sydney.
    Lawrence
  • theartofmovieposterstheartofmovieposters Member Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector
    I don't see a date on the Melb advert?
  • theartofmovieposterstheartofmovieposters Member Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector
    And I like your passion!  Shows you care.  Good luck!
  • JohnJohn Member, Dealer Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    There are many more cinemas that screened Mad Max. What about the regional cinemas where it was widely shown? It was screened at a number of cinemas on the Gold Coast alone. You will have a hard time finding ads and records for those cinemas because they have not been scanned to Trove but they did screen it and did receive posters. Cinemas generally received more than just a single one sheet.  I have seen order forms where they could order multiple posters and cinema owners usually wanted plenty of advertising material. I know for sure of one cinema owner who received 2 Orange one sheets and additional daybills. I think it is highly unlikely that a print run would be restricted to 100. I cant think of any logical reason why that would have been done.
    John

John, you didn’t finish reading my summary I allowed for 80 more theaters and 2 posters for the major theaters in urban areas and two showing per major urban area.

I cant see any logical reason why a country with only 700 theaters the with urban/regional areas having 20-30 theaters each needing 1500 posters all at one time. MM
    did not play at every theater. Why would
    Hoyt not even show it? Plus you have you dollar theaters, risqué theaters, etc. in that 700 number.

Does anyone know - were theater owners not required to return posters with the film? Perhaps for even a deposit back? 

It is likely that mad max only showed at 100 to 150 theaters across Australia in its initial release from 1978 to mid 1980.  I have not researched the 81 rerelease. Based on the showings in the major urban areas I don’t see the need for that many posters. Quantities of 200-400 sound about right...

Also a good question is when did your theater owner order the Orange MM and why didn’t he get one of the Purple ones?  Seriously, if you can ask him...

Also do we have shots of theaters? Here in the US rural theaters didn’t advert much in the 80s, just a OS in the cinema box and letters on the marque. If the volume were to swell for rural area theaters, I doubt the advertising would be 2 one sheets and 2 daybills. Also you have to think film prints as well - do we think there were 750 prints of the film. Or 50 with advanced advertisement.

Ed from LAMP claims to have data on film statistics in his member area. I’ve ask him or challenged him to help me solve this puzzle with some tickets sales or screen number for the film.

After spending this time I am more confident than before about the 200-400 quantities for the initial release purple/orange posters.
    I don't see a date on the Melb advert?
    I didn’t find that one directly. It came from mad max movies.com.  I only had access to “The Age” and that date was missing.
  • JohnJohn Member, Dealer Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    Charlie said:

Also a good question is when did your theater owner order the Orange MM and why didn’t he get one of the Purple ones?  Seriously, if you can ask him...
    I wish I could ask him but he passed away some time ago. However, there is someone else I will try who might know something.
    John

Thanks.  Just wondering if somehow the 12th of April just got picked up and associated with the advert because that was what IMDB says.

I am sure Lawrence advised it only passed classification a couple weeks earlier.  Would they print the advertising material before they had classification?  I am not aware of release dates being that far apart for films in different states.  I don't really hence my curiosity about that as well.
    Ok I found the April 12th clipping from Newspapers.com

Here is a pdf.

Charlie said:
    Ok I found the April 12th clipping from Newspapers.com

Settled on that one!

April 6th advert...

edited February 29
    HONDO said:

October 1979 advertising for Mad Max for screenings at a northern beachside suburb of Sydney.

Fringe screen advertisement for a single screening of Mad Max on March 7 1980. 
    Lawrence

A 1979 Canberra ACT screenings mention September 25 1979.     

1980 Canberra ACT screenings advertisement for different venue February 7 1980.

Interestingly this artwork is different from the Australian film posters, showing Max with a helmet on, similar to the U.S.A. artwork.
    Lawrence
  • RickRick Member Posts: 890 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    several years ago i picked up (from memory) 3 blue Mad Max daybills from a projectionist from the Warrnambool drive in, along with a lot of lesser stuff.
    edited March 3
    The filmed killed it at the drive ins I believe...CATHS members said this is where it picked up all its money, so not surprising there would be stuff at the drive ins :)
    Rick said:
    several years ago i picked up (from memory) 3 blue Mad Max daybills from a projectionist from the Warrnambool drive in, along with a lot of lesser stuff.
    So, in your experience, did movie show up in theater or drive-ins first? I did find a couple drive in adverts.
  • RickRick Member Posts: 890 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    Charlie said:
    Rick said:
    So, in your experience, did movie show up in theater or drive-ins first? I did find a couple drive in adverts.
    Sorry, i don't remember.