Skip to content

How is everyone doing?

I’m pretty exhausted... Houston is finally going into “stay at home” - announcement this morning. 

Four of my employees are WFH already and I guess the wife and I will be going forward. Of course worried about our business.

My daughter is learning over a computer - softball season is done for. Asha and I get in a throw & catch everyday now though.  

I been drinking so much that my inner voice actually told me to stop and take a break. Slept better... Funny how that worked out - inner voice never listened to the wife. 

Want to buy posters but part of me says that is non-essential which then makes me wonder how many other people think they are non-esssential and that maybe there are some deals out there.

Eh, roll with the punches - hope you all are safe...

Comments

• Live look at my current work from home "home office" situation:

mode of transport atmosphere sky phenomenon
  • Not bad. Thanks for asking. Hope you and everyone else are " doing well.

This social isolation don't bother. I been socially isolated for 20 years working from home alone.

As long as I get my regular Saturday with the peeps for some beer and pool, I am happy.

But,

That is not happening right now.

Everyone be cool and don't listen to naysayers and Donald!

Cheers,
    dario.
  • Thanks for the report! 

How about you Aussies? 

• Still working. On a building site in the city where no one practices social distancing. The train ride in and out has half as many people as it did before. The hustle and bustle of Melbourne has vanished. I can see the airport from the 35th floor, hardly see a plane come in or take off.
  • Live look at my current work from home "home office" situation:

mode of transport atmosphere sky phenomenon
    Your kids are much cuter than that!

• We're in lockdown here. Trying to "flatten the curve", you know the drill...
    Went out today to get some groceries. The streets were pretty empty. It was peaceful.
    Hard times for unemployed and self-employed people down here though. Hope this gets sorted as soon as possible. 
  • WFH home here too and slowly being driven insane by the constant questions about school work, while trying to do my own job.
    Only leaving the house to shop and take the kids for a brief walk around the streets once a day weather permitting.

Surprisingly, I've still had poster sales!  Which puts me in two minds...don't really want to be going out to the POST OFFICE but happy to be thinning the herd!

• 110x75 said:
    Hard times for unemployed and self-employed people down here though. Hope this gets sorted as soon as possible. 
    Same here.  The footage of the people in lines seeking assistance is absolutely heart breaking. :(
  • Alternating WFH with being in the office. Only two staff in my area (including me), so pretty isolated anyway. I'm in an 'essential' job, so I'll be working right through regardless of how bleak it gets.

My brother-in-law has just lost his job - things are starting to really bite into people now and we're still probably months from the end...

I'm enjoying my posters more than ever though; kinda nice to have a hobby that is indoors! My collecting budget is all but non-existant though, so getting no additions involves negotiating laybys and paying instalments. Hardly a problem though when you see what's happening in society.
  • 110x75 said:
    Same here.  The footage of the people in lines seeking assistance is absolutely heart breaking. :(
    It is Ves. Luckily, the government is going the extra mile to simulteously prevent the epidemic to grow while making sure the most vulnerable population can at least have two meals a day. If this had happened 6 months before, while there was other president in charge, it would have been an absolute catastophe.
  • Well I'm still working full time, apparently we're now "key workers" as we store fuel, and pharmaceutical chemicals...   Our company is so far behind what they should be doing it's unreal..  Not impressed is an understatement.

I was hoping just to be on call, as I have a total revamp of my poster room to do, and same with the garage...  All the gaffas sat at home Skypeing each other and wanting to know what we're doing... F...kin' wankers.
  • I'm well at this stage, as an asthmatic who has had three partially collapsed lungs in the past seven years I don't want to catch this virus.
    As for work, I have worked from home for the past 12 years so no great social change. However, apart from work for hospitals and medical clinics it has dried up overnight.
    I've made less than half my previous lowest weekly income, about 10% of my highest. 
    I'm avoiding all poster sales and purchases to stay away from postal services.
  • You stay safe Rick. Hopefully things will get better soon.
  • Doing okay here. Geographically this area is more rural than urban, so no lockdown or quarantine yet, not that there's really anywhere to go. I recently started a new job as a dockworker for a very large freight company, and feel very fortunate that I'm still employed and can go to work every night. As mentioned previously on this thread, I really feel for the many, especially in the service industry, who have basically had their livelihoods pulled out from underneath them. Hopefully we all here at VMPF continue to weather the circumstances as best we can. 
  • Hey all-glad to hear all are doing relatively well. Here in Arizona, all schools and most businesses are closed. As a teacher I am  fortunate  to be able to WFH and still receive my salary. And  much of my pay for my part-time job as well. 

Word is that our state will soon issue a “shelter in place” for 2 to 3 weeks.  I am fortunate to be in a state that hasn’t  been hit hard with the virus as of now.   Can’t imagine the stress for so many people that are not receiving paychecks right now. 
  • We are bunkered in.  I am retired and in the older with health issues group, so we are seeing nobody and if we leave the apartment, we stay in our car and use drive up delivery type services.  We bought heavily on groceries 3 weeks ago and are just now starting to run short on perishables.  I placed an order for curbside delivery, so we don't have to go into the supermarket.

Linda and I are having some cabin fever and have stopped watching the Trump self congratulatory press conferences, since they don't seem to have much useful info.  Wisconsin is in pretty heavy lockdown.

One item of potential interest.  My son was due to be discharged from the Air Force on April 10.  The government has suspended all out processing and told him they may activate his inactive reserve requirement.  Reason being is that they cancelled all basic and tech training so there will be nearly a year gap in getting replacements through the system.  Given that, he is strongly considering re-enlisting.  He thinks the job situation is going to be bleak for several years.
  • Due to heart related problems and being in the older age bracket are two good reasons to be bunkered in at home these days. Finally managed to get my hands on a good supply of toilet paper. Food supply storage is looking healthy - enough to last for a few weeks anyway.

I hope everyone else is coping o.k.

A friend sent me the following information  that I though I would share.

Now to finish on the brighter side.

• Good one on the shopping cart, Lawrence!
  • jayn_j said:
    We are bunkered in.  I am retired and in the older with health issues group, so we are seeing nobody and if we leave the apartment, we stay in our car and use drive up delivery type services.  We bought heavily on groceries 3 weeks ago and are just now starting to run short on perishables.  I placed an order for curbside delivery, so we don't have to go into the supermarket.

Linda and I are having some cabin fever and have stopped watching the Trump self congratulatory press conferences, since they don't seem to have much useful info.  Wisconsin is in pretty heavy lockdown.

One item of potential interest.  My son was due to be discharged from the Air Force on April 10.  The government has suspended all out processing and told him they may activate his inactive reserve requirement.  Reason being is that they cancelled all basic and tech training so there will be nearly a year gap in getting replacements through the system.  Given that, he is strongly considering re-enlisting.  He thinks the job situation is going to be bleak for several years.
    Stay safe Jay.  Our supermarket chains here seem to be stuggling to come to terms with the higher demand for deliver and pick ups...hopefully that improves soon.

Interestingly, my nephew also in the army here was looking to get out as he too had had enough.  Like your son, with the current situation and no sign of improvement any time soon, has decided to stay put.
  • HONDO said:
    Due to heart related problems and being in the older age bracket are two good reasons to be bunkered in at home these days. Finally managed to get my hands on a good supply of toilet paper. Food supply storage is looking healthy - enough to last for a few weeks anyway.

I hope everyone else is coping o.k.

Stay safe Lawrence.  The toilet paper thing is just crazy.  Last couple of trips to the supermarket to pick up a few things I did see some loo paper on the shelves so perhaps the crazies are subsiding and things will get back to normal, relatively quickly...

• I would be interested to know what people are finding the hardest to adapt to in this time of bunkering down?
    With two kids, one who is 6, I am finding a constant need to keep her entertained.  There are only so many times you can play dolls...(I never played with dolls when I was 6! just to put it into perspective)

For me at the moment it is the other halves obsession with the numbers.  CONSTANT.  Driving me bonkers.

Anyone else care to chime in?  Will be interesting to see how things change as time goes on...
  • Just got back from the local supermarket. They've installed clear protection screens for the staff working at the registers. There was a security guard there as well.

It's a war zone out there. 

Still no loo paper but tissue paper is on the rise. 
  • I am generally the vision guy and planning for the next thing or the thing I haven’t even thought about. The hardest adaptation I am having is being able to focus when all my brain is telling me to do is figure out what the eventual outcome of all this will be. So my productivity is way down - 30%...  I even work quarantined my self hoping to avoid distractions - no better. My brain just won’t shut off. Not so worried about numbers but trying to figure out what the numbers really mean or don’t mean.

That and with the exhaustion from all this - I’ve lost the passion for my work. 
  • edited March 2020
    Ves, I'm a bit obsessed with the numbers as well. Have pity on him; we're trying to look for a turnaround. 
  • I can't say I am suffering a lot being bunkered. It's not very different to my regular life. I miss driving the car a little.
    Working in a museum, the amount of work to do during quarantine is very small. The  things that can be done, I am doing from home. 
    Fortunately, my kids are a bit older now, and both pretty much entertain themselves with tv and youtube. We do play some board games or draw, or paint a bit too.
    I am cooking more now, and fixing stuff around the house.
    As for NUMBERS, we decided to nearly shut down the news. Just a daily half an hour of tv news is enough.
    I am worried about the outcome of all this thing though.  The economic perspective down here was pretty bleak even without this pandemic...
  • Arizona has increasing numbers, both in deaths and cases reported. No real numbers of those recovered. But as we all read, and see, those in the 70+ age range and those with previous/current health issues in the most acute range. Scary for those. 

In '17-'18 US had 44 million symptomatic cases and 61,000 deaths. They've predicted 100,000+ deaths for this virus. Scary indeed. 

Our stores are starting to replenish shelves of food, no tp in sight, and paper towels making their way back. If our state goes on shelter in place, their will be another run on the stores. Our National Guard (part-time military) is helping with the movement of goods to stores. 

My little boy (9yrs) is out of school, and my work has been closed, although i am able to work from home. It is a new experience keeping him on task with school work, completing my work soley on a laptop and keeping him entertained. We used to go to park and shoot baskets, but they've closed down our parks now! So outside acitivity will be limited. And he's non-stop energy! 

it is difficult to stay focused on work and other things i used to keep busy with. Am eating more than i used to, and putting on weight which is difficult. Other personal items also increasing stress; and i thought 2019, in which my life changed so much, including losing my mom to dementia was going to be it; that 2020 would be "better". 

But, on the bright side, still working, plenty of food in the pantry, and good health for the immediate family. And if i visit the news a few times a day, i stay in good spirits. 

Take care, VMPF family! As Dwight D. Eisenhower said, "this too shall pass." (i'm sure he did at some point! ;) )

• Used in the end credits of the recent Jojo Rabbit film.
  • Let's all check in once in a while here so we know everyone is doing ok...
  • Well... I was thinking I might make this through with out losing someone I knew. 

When I first became a managing director at a consulting firm in 2009, Mary was an advocate or lobbyist of sorts that organized meetings with local municipal leadership and politicians. I worked with her directly for four years. She taught me so many things about the business.

When I joined our company In 2018, I hired her to help us. We worked together for about 8 months until we mutually decided to part ways. 

She was not young but appeared in decent health. Always a busy body full of energy. Spent her whole career around people and had great immunity for sure. 

Mary passed away tonight From COVID and her husband (whom I would say was unhealthy) is in quarantine and has been confirmed positive. If you are faithful and pray, keep them in your thoughts. Also keep the folks of my old firm in your thoughts as that was her primary employer and she most certainly exposed many more friends and colleagues to the virus.

What I am starting to formulate is that this virus does not care if you are rich/poor, have good immunities or decent health care... You will catch it if exposed. If you have any underlying issues requiring ACE inhibitors or are prone to pneumonia - please act like this is the black plague.

Poster buddy love to all of you. Keeping you all in my thoughts/prayers.

• Oh dear, I'm so sorry to hear this Charlie.

The world seems so small right now. My thoughts are with you guys and all of us.