Skip to content

Rare Alfred Hitchcock Poster Style of Young And Innocent

Young And Innocent ( 1937 ) ( aka The Girl Was Young in the U.S.A. ). ( State Library Of Western Australia ) (BA 3118 / 9 ) ( Display at the Theatre Royal in Perth Western Australia in 1939 ).

I have just discovered this fantastic poster image.

The image isn't credited with the style or measurements of the poster.

This poster was exhibited in Australian cinemas and is very large when when comparing it with the front of house lobby cards on either side of the poster.

What I find interesting is that there isn't a mention whatsover of Alfred Hitchcocks involvement with the film. There is what looks like silver tinsel completely attached around the poster, which has one wondering did this decoration come attached to the poster of was it added inhouse at the Grand Theatre?

As the poster one has to believe is of British origin I am thinging Paul or perhaps Bruce or John may be able to assist with establishing what type of poster this is?

The absence of the then famous Hitchcock name from the poster really has me baffled though.

Comments

• Wondering its custom made?
  • Wondering its custom made?
    Yes, those are my initial thoughts. The image doesn't look anything like Nova Pilbeam.

• This appears in the bottom right hand corner. Unfortunately cannot make the name out.
  • Yeah, I was looking at that too!  Can't link it to any signatures I know unfortunately.
  • I completely agree this was locally made by the specific theater. If you look at U.S. exhibitor magazine stories about theaters in large cities with elaborate displays, what is so interesting is how often they DON'T use standard posters (1-sheets, 3-sheets, etc), but rather they have home-made advertising (sometimes using cut-up standard posters). 

It seems that the "regular posters" were more used by theaters in smaller cities and towns. They would often have a one-sheet frame, or a frame that held a one-sheet and a set of lobby cards, etc.

Here is a handy checklist to help tell eMoviePoster.com apart from all other major auctions!
    HAS lifetime guarantees on every item - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS unrestored and unenhanced images - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS 100% honest condition descriptions - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS auctions where the winner is the higher of two real bidders - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "buyers premiums" - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "reserves or starts over $1 - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS hidden bidder IDs - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS no customer service to speak of - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "nosebleed" shipping charges - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS inadequate packaging - NOT eMoviePoster.com

• The Holy Grail for my collection would be to find a Young and Innocent daybill but nothing has surfaced over the years.
  • John said:
    The Holy Grail for my collection would be to find a Young and Innocent daybill but nothing has surfaced over the years.
    Does that mean you have all the others?
  • edited June 2020

I was wondering about the known existance of available Alfred Hitchcock Australian first release daybills.

My awareness of this situation, and to the best of my knowledge, is that for all Hitchcock films released from the 1920s up to 1937, only four daybills are known to exist. The available titles are The Ring, Blackmail, Champagne and The 39 Steps.

From 1938 to his last film in 1976 there would appear to be first release daybills sited for all his films with the exceptions being of Jamaica Inn ( 1939 ) and Strangers On A Train ( 1951 ).

I would have to be realistic in believing that daybills of his 1920's silent films and his early 1930's sound films are long shots to ever turn up. There would have to be some hope though  that Special Agent ( 1936 ), Sabotage ( 1936 ), Young And Innocent ( 1937 ) and even the original The Man Who Knew Too Much ( 1934 ) may surface one day.

I would think out of all off the missing daybills that The Lodger ( 1927 ) would be my pick of the one that I would hope to see turn up one day.

• Definately daybills for Strangers on a train...let me see if I can find the post here
  • Chris posted this one in the Only Known Copies thread

• And yeah, would love to see the daybill for Lodger and Man Who Knew Too Much...oh, can you imagine!
  • Thanks Ves for the Strangers On A Train daybill image. I apparently missed seeing it at the time. The image doesn't appear to be available to locate on the thread anymore or on Google images at present as far as I can see, so I am glad you copied it off when it was posted.
  • edited June 2020

The following third paragraph has been altered and updated due to new information received from Ves.

HONDO said:

I was wondering about the known existance of available Alfred Hitchcock Australian first release daybills.

My awareness of this situation, and to the best of my knowledge, is that for all Hitchcock films released from the 1920s up to 1937, only four daybills are known to exist. The available titles are The Ring, Blackmail, Champagne and The 39 Steps.

From 1938 to his last film in 1976 there would appear to be first release daybills sited for all his films with the one exception being Jamaica Inn ( 1939 ).

I would have to be realistic in believing that daybills of his 1920's silent films and his early 1930's sound films are long shots to ever turn up. There would have to be some hope though  that Special Agent ( 1936 ), Sabotage ( 1936 ), Young And Innocent ( 1937 ) and even the original The Man Who Knew Too Much ( 1934 ) may surface one day.

I would think out of all off the missing daybills that The Lodger ( 1927 ) would be my pick of the one that I would hope to see turn up one day.

• HONDO said:
    Thanks Ves for the Strangers On A Train daybill image. I apparently missed seeing it at the time. The image doesn't appear to be available to locate on the thread anymore or on Google images at present as far as I can see, so I am glad you copied it off when it was posted.
    That's a bit weird.  I can still see the image in the thread (the last page).  Actually that happens to me too sometimes.  Can't see an image then magically one day it reappears as if it never left!

• HONDO said:
    Thanks Ves for the Strangers On A Train daybill image. I apparently missed seeing it at the time. The image doesn't appear to be available to locate on the thread anymore or on Google images at present as far as I can see, so I am glad you copied it off when it was posted.
    That's a bit weird.  I can still see the image in the thread (the last page).  Actually that happens to me too sometimes.  Can't see an image then magically one day it reappears as if it never left!

I had previously searched here on the forum for Strangers On A Train and it  brought up three entries from  June 2018 ( page 11 ) on Only Known Copies,  where the daybill was discussed but there wasn't an image there so I searched no further on the forum.

Have just finished having a look at the last page that you mentioned, and yes the image is there. I apparently saw this image at the time as I commented on it, but apparently I either didn't save an image, or if I did it isn't now where I can locate it. I did think possibly there was an image, but not being able to locate one I then thought maybe my mind was playing tricks so I included this title as being missing a daybill image.

The fact is that the image on page 16 wasn't titled and therefore it cannot be found now by searching the forum search aid. This search resource is only as good as the information supplied in the first place. Images are enjoyable when first presented to the viewer, but if untitled a real struggle to local them at a later date does present a big problem for anyone trying to locate a particular title.

My personal views only are ----I don't wish to upset anyone as it is up to the individual to whatever form the images are supplied here, but a title for each image would assist greatly in locating exactly where the images are to be found in the future. If one doesn't want to title the images, and I do realise this is sometimes time consuming, please continue to send them anyway untitled, as they do make enjoyable viewing and are an invaluable resource that one doesn't want to be deprived of. Again this is my personal opinion only in which I believe my suggestion would only improve the effectiveness of the forum's access to stored information, thus making it much easier to quickly locate images. .

• John said:
    The Holy Grail for my collection would be to find a Young and Innocent daybill but nothing has surfaced over the years.
    Does that mean you have all the others?
    HaHa No chance of getting them all but I really like Young and Innocent and would love something on that film. 
  • HONDO said:

Here is the commonly seen Australian daybill image of The Ring ( 1927 ).

What would you think if I was to say that there appears to have been a second similar version of this design, but with slightly different incorrect information partially replacing the credits that you can see above on the daybill image? 

Is anyone aware of a second daybill existing ?
  • Could the culprit be inaccurate restoration?
    I believe there are a number of examples of better daybills with the same problem, where the restorer "guessed" at the missing info.

Here is a handy checklist to help tell eMoviePoster.com apart from all other major auctions!
    HAS lifetime guarantees on every item - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS unrestored and unenhanced images - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS 100% honest condition descriptions - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS auctions where the winner is the higher of two real bidders - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "buyers premiums" - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "reserves or starts over $1 - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS hidden bidder IDs - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS no customer service to speak of - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "nosebleed" shipping charges - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS inadequate packaging - NOT eMoviePoster.com

Bruce said:
    Could the culprit be inaccurate restoration?
    I believe there are a number of examples of better daybills with the same problem, where the restorer "guessed" at the missing info.

Restoration in this particular case isn't the reason behind the similar designed second daybill of The Ring.

I am currently still checking into this matter hoping to find out additional information, but all details that I currently have will be revealed soon.

• The original The Ring Australian daybill and a recently located partial daybill image that was used in the period set Australian  film The Tender Hook ( 2008 ). This poster was displayed at a theatre that was attended by cast members in a scene appearing within the film, according to IMDB,

Thi second poster version of The Ring has had the supporting cast credits altered from what appeared on the original daybill version, to now read 'And Australia's own Ian Hunter' on the film used version. This statement in incorrect as Ian Hunter was a South African born British actor who worked in the U.K. then later in the U.S.A..

One has two options to consider here as to the story behind the version used in the film. It is a real shame that the complete version of the daybill isn't available to examine. Was the daybill version that was featured in the film printed in the 1920s as an alternative poster for whatever reasion, of was it printed specially for display the film in 2008. If the poster was only printed for the film, why change the cast list and include false information on the poster? One thing to take inro account is that the daybill would have been only shown briefly and one wouldn't have been able to read the film's supporting cast credits anyway, one would have to believe.

Any thoughts?
  • The font of the credits looks modern suggesting a recreation for the film

I was going to suggest along the same lines...a recreation for the film and a simplification of the credits to make it easier to read perhaps?

The font of the credits looks modern suggesting a recreation for the film

I was going to suggest along the same lines...a recreation for the film and a simplification of the credits to make it easier to read perhaps?

More than likely the poster is a recreation produced solely to display in the film The Tender Hook.

What was the reason though for the incorrect Ian Hunter credit for him being Australia's own. I guess we will never know the answer.

Ian Hunter (actor) - Wikipedia