Skip to content

Shabby Chic

Recently had some success selling posters with paper loss, tape stains and writing in the margins etc. I suspect these are being displayed for their shabby chic / distressed look, which is popular with some decorators etc. 
Having never spent a cent on restoration myself (except indirectly via HA), I prefer to leave them original and am glad these posters are now finding a home.
Just wondering what the consensus is on displaying older (folded) posters this way. Definitely puts their authenticity in your face.

Comments

• I am personally a fan of preserving the history of a poster.  Snipes, staple marks, censor stamps, theater info printing.  It is all part of the history.  If a particular poster was distributed folded, a rare rolled example seems unreal and antiseptic.

That said, I prefer paper that has been reasonably cared for.  I wouldn't 8ntentionally seek out sompoor condition. condition.
  • This is my sister.  She wants a few piecesfor her house and its all about character.

As for me, Im with Jay, it tells you the history of the poster.  As long as it is not too obtrusive, it doesnt worry me.

Another thought, some titles have dried up...so could it be you have to take what you can get?  Or alternativle the price of some minty ones have skyrocketed so people can only afford the ones with some condition issues?
  • Some of them are going to people who have never bought from me before and don't appear to be regular mp collectors. Of course it's true that I am selling them at less than half value, so there is an element of cost.
    I quite like the distressed state of the really old posters. Adds to the nostalgia for me, although tough to display them without linen backing. Maybe a black linen would retain the look and still provide support.

• Bah, i whack emin a frame like that!  Unless they are falling apart, no need to back them.  
  • I've got a bunch of daybills that were literally hung on a nail. All have a big split in top section. Conjures up an image of some old country hall with plank floor and rows of fold-up seats! 
  • Like Ves said, I'm not bothered by condition as long as it's not obtrusive.
    Here's one framed and hanging in the bedroom

• Like it! Anyone who looks at that poster knows it is original and not a reprint.
    I wonder if at some point "survivor posters" might become more valuable than restored. Plenty of other antiques are more desirable in original condition.