Skip to content

Eric Dare / Dare Films / House Of Dare Australian Daybills

I am in the process of listing all the films that were released in Australia by Eric Dare / Dare Films / House Of Dare.

The following titles from the 1970s are the ones I am aware of.

BETTY BLOKK BUSTER FOLLIES

CITIZEN KANE ( re-release )

GULLIVER'S TRAVELS ( re-release )

HOPPITY GOES TO TOWN ( re-release )

KING KONG ( re-release )

Does anyone have any daybills or any other form of Australian posters with any mention of Eric Dare, Dare Films or House Of Dare printed on them?

Have daybill images of four of the five  above listed films but would love to see a daybill for the Citizen Kane  RR.

Comments

• I'd love to see the first release Citizen Kane daybill! 
  • I would be happy to see any Australian posters either first releases or re-release.
  • I got nothing I'm afraid
  • Thanks for looking.

• The following titles from the 1970s are the ones I am aware of.

BETTY BLOKK BUSTER FOLLIES  one daybill style

CITIZEN KANE ( re-release )  nothing found

GULLIVER'S TRAVELS ( re-release ) Two different style daybills

HOPPITY GOES TO TOWN ( re-release ) Two Different style daybills

KING KONG ( re-release ) Two different style daybills

• HONDO said:

1960s

ELVIRA MADIGAN ( first release ) nothing found

THE MIKADO ( first release ) nothing found

Two more titles found from Eric Dare ---

Elvira Madigan ( 1967 )  released in Sydney June 14, 1968

Mikado, The ( 1967 ) released in Sydney June 14, 1968.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          Added to above master list above also.

• Got nothing in my lot either.
  • HONDO said:
    HONDO said:

HEAT ( first release ) one daybill found

1960s

ELVIRA MADIGAN ( first release ) nothing found

FLESH ( first release in the 1970s ) Australian one sheet

THE MIKADO ( first release ) nothing found

Two more titles found from Eric Dare ---

Elvira Madigan ( 1967 )  released in Sydney June 14, 1968

Mikado, The ( 1967 ) released in Sydney June 14, 1968.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          Added to above master list above also.

Two more titles. Flesh ( 1968 ) and Heat ( 1972 ) and both from Andy Warhol. Both films released in Australia around 1973. Both added to above master list.
  • edited January 2016

I recently discovered Eric Dare released product under the Garland Productions name. Titles found so far with daybills and also in some cases one sheets are as follows.

Autopsy ( 1975 )

Eyeball ( 1975 )

Girl In Room 2A ( 1974 )

Mouse And His Child, The ( 1977 )

Slave of The Cannibal God ( 1978 )

Slithis ( 1978 )

I would be pleased if anyone else knows of any other Garland Productions daybills or Australian one sheets to kindly inform us here on the thread.

Also I have sighted a version of Jack and The Beanstalk from 1974  that shows on the daybill '' Presented By Eric Dare''.

• Two more Garland Productions daybills identified as follows -

Eaten Alive ( 1980 )

Nutcracker Fantasy ( 1979 )

Another House Of Dare film -

Farewell Uncle Tom ( 1971 ) ( no distributor credited on daybill or Australian one sheet but the applicant who originally submitted the film under the title of Uncle Tom was listed as being House Of Dare. )

• Another daybill poster sighted with Eric Dare Presents on the poster.

Man From Deep River ( 1972 )

• edited February 2016
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           Eric Dare Presents -

The Shoemaker And The Elves ( The Shoemaker ) ( 1956 ) Originally released in West Germany in 1956 , then the U.S.A. in 1967 and Australia in the 1970s.

Looking back over the product Eric Dare released in Australia he appeared to attempt to cater to the very young audiences as well as importing product with a very adult content.
  • I recently wrote a book chapter on the distribution of Italian cannibal films in Melbourne and Dare was very prominent. Basically, it would seem that the outstanding success of MAN FROM DEEP RIVER financed the early stage success of Reg Livermore!

At work over night, but when home tomorrow and can access my notes I will try and fill in as many other Dare / Garland titles. 
  • That would be great.
  • I recently wrote a book chapter on the distribution of Italian cannibal films in Melbourne and Dare was very prominent. Basically, it would seem that the outstanding success of MAN FROM DEEP RIVER financed the early stage success of Reg Livermore!

At work over night, but when home tomorrow and can access my notes I will try and fill in as many other Dare / Garland titles. 
    I collect horror / exploitation posters and I think I may have daybills for all the Italian cannibals films released in the 70s and 80s. Would you have a list of cannibal films released in that period that you could share? Please?
  • Another daybill poster sighted from the Eric Dare stable is The Hottest Show In Town ( 1974 ).
    Submitted to the Australian film censor by the applicant The House Of Dare in 1981. The film ended up being credited as Garland Productions on the daybill. 
  • Another important release by Eric Dare was The Pawnbroker  ( 1964 ), released in Australia in 1967. No Australian posters sighted. Does anyone have an image?
  • edited February 2018
    @HONDO I take it from above you've already sighted this one.

• edited February 2018

Thanks anyway for the image Wil, as images are always appreciated. 

An ideal opportunity now to update this thread with some additions.

Shinbone Alley ( 1970 ) 'Presented by Eric Dare' daybill sighted.

The Man From Button Willow'  ( 1965 ) 'Eric Dare Proudly Presents Australian daybill & one sheet images sighted.

Last Of The Wild ( West Germany ) ( unknown date  ) Classified by the Australian censor in 1971.  House Of Dare was the importer.

2069 A Sex Odyssey ( 1974 ) From Garland Productions daybill sighted

Maniac ( 1980 ) Garland Productions Australian one sheet sighted.

I just noticed this from March 2016, too years ago. I would have loved to have received back any information that would have been available.

Pancho said:
    I recently wrote a book chapter on the distribution of Italian cannibal films in Melbourne and Dare was very prominent. Basically, it would seem that the outstanding success of MAN FROM DEEP RIVER financed the early stage success of Reg Livermore!

I collect horror / exploitation posters and I think I may have daybills for all the Italian cannibals films released in the 70s and 80s. Would you have a list of cannibal films released in that period that you could share? Please?
    Pancho was another interested party also.

• Another Eric Dare release in Australia was Andy Warhol's Heat ( 1972 ). House Of Dare was the applicant's name when the film was submitted for censorship, but Eric Dare presents appears on the daybill.

• Another title to be listed is The Swinging Cheerleaders ( 1974 ). Credited as being Garland Productions on the Australian daybill.

The Pawnbroker ( 1964 ). Previously mentioned on this thread and a daybill has since turned up with ''L. Williams In Association With Eric Dare Present'' appearing on the poster. 

• Additional titles to mention.

Tarz &  Jane & Boy & Cheeta ( 1975 ). Imported into Australia by House OF Dare P/L.  Credited on Australian daybill poster as being distributed by Garland Productions. Should have been released in Australia circa 1982.

Maniac ( 1980 ). Imported into Australia by The House Of Dare. Credited on Australian daybill poster as being distributed by Garland Productions. After several bannings the film would have been released in Australia circa 1982.

The Losers ( 1970 ). This film was originally released in Australian in 1971 by Roadshow in a shortened censored version. In 1978 The House Of Dare  submitted a full lengh version of the film to the Australian censor. The film was passed with an R certificate, and most likely was uncut. A The House Of Dare film poster sighted is only 18 1/2'' x 25'' in size and has the distributor shown as being Garland Productions. This new version  should have been re-released circa 1978.    

• Some more additional films released in Australia by Eric Dare.

Deathwatch ( 1965 ) released in  Sydney in 1969.

La Guerre Est Finie ( 1966 ) released in Sydney in 1968.

Angels Die Hard! ( 1970 ) House of Dare import in 1974. No Australian distributor credit on the daybill or the Australian one sheet,

Swan Lake (1966 ) Released in Sydney in 1969.

Long John Silver's Return To Treasure Island A retitled re-release of Long John Silver ( 1954  ). Fom Garland Productions is credited on the daybill. Probably re-released in Australia in the 1970s. 

The Little Mermaid ( 1975 ) Released in Australia in 1979 ( IMDB ).  Imported into Australia by Quality Films in 1977, but credited as being Garland Productions presents on the daybill.  

Cry Of A Prostitute ( 1974 ) House Of Dare import in 1981. Credited as Garland Productions release on the daybill.

Bury Me An Angel ( 1971 ) House Of Dare import in 1974. No Australian distriburor credit on the daybill.

Yesterday Girl ( 1966 ) Released in Sydney in 1969.

A mention that both the Angels Die Hard! and Bury Me An Angel daybills that were printed without any distributor credit appearing on them were both classifief by the Australian censor on the same 1 August 1974. date.

From these latest listings  the following images are the only Australian posters that iIhave been able to locate. 

Eric Dare appearing to be sitting at his office desk 

• Mag Wheels ( 1978 ) Australian daybill and one sheet.

Mag Wheels was submitted to the Australian Censorship department and classified for public exhibition  on I September 1978. The applicant was The House Of Dare, with the two  posters showing a 'From Garland Productions' credit printed on them.

I have attempted  to track down Eric Dare in the past on a few occasions in an attempt to talk to him, but so far with no success. On the 31st of October 1995 he was quoted as being 61 years of age, so if he is still with us it would make him now 85 years of age.

Eric Dare is a very interesting person. He was at various times throughout his career an entrepreneur, businessman, financier, property trader, producer and film distributor. He was also a great art lover and collector.

• Of all the film titles that I have previously listed on this thread as being released by Eric Dare, I have daybill images for the majotity of these, but with the exceptions of the  the following titles.

Citizen Kane ( re-release )
    Deathwatch
    Elvira Madigan
    Flesh ( I have images of an Australian one sheet and an Australian special poster only )
    La Guerre Est Finie
    Last of The Wild
    Mikado, The ( Should be the 1967 version )
    Swan Lake ( Should be the 1966 film originally titled Schwanensee )
    Yesterday Girl

If anyone has images of any of the above listed nine missing titles please share them here? 

• Was Deathwatch released locally as Dead of Night?
  • edited August 2021
    Rick said:
    Was Deathwatch released locally as Dead of Night?
    Thanks for the question and trying to assist, but this wasn't the case.

Newspaper advertisement placed for 1969 screenings in Canberra

• Eva ( 1968 ) Australian  daybill. A pre November 1971 released in Australia film. The earliest example of 'A Garland Productions release' credit located so far.

• Love Of Life ( 1969 ) Australian one sheet. Classied by the Australian censor on 1 November 1972, with the applicant being House Of Dare. The classified title was The Love Of Life : Arthur Rubinstein. I wish to thaank John for sending me this image.