Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Rare English One Sheet - The Third Man

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    As our Prime Minister would say, Chris you are the "suppository" of all information...(the aussies will get it..you're pretend, not sure...)

Well all I can hope for is that the proper amount of lubricant was used and the procedure went as quickly as possible...

Oh and that the nurses were hot  ;)

Chris
  • DavidDavid Member Posts: 10,246 admin
    Why can't I see the recent MOPO posts?
    Don't think the servers update on the fly, but all posts are there now: http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/index.html#63322
    David
  • theartofmovieposterstheartofmovieposters Member Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector
    Oh I see the emails in my inbox now, but even yesterday when I went straight to the site, I couldn't see them all...odd...
  • theartofmovieposterstheartofmovieposters Member Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector
    David said:
    I blame Chris
    Sounds about right.
  • HONDOHONDO Member, Wizard of Aus Posters Posts: 8,126 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector

Forgetting about the Lion International factor I believe the missing London Films logo and any mention of London Films at all is a pivotal point in my thinking it is a re-release. All this talk about numbers is fine but let us see some proof.

Hondo

Lawrence
    I think you should read the MoPo thread.
    David
    David said:
    I blame Chris
    Sure why not
    Chris
    David said:
    I think you should read the MoPo thread.

I have. What in particular am I looking for?

Hondo

Lawrence
    I copy n paste:

I think ultimately this poster (and those others exactly like it) will leave two camps completely divided, and certainly on the face of it there is logic for both sides. What has been great(?!) is we all now know there are three (UK1SH) posters for this title whereas previously we lead to believe there was two; obviously I am saddened for those who have now discovered their original is now not so original, but try being a daybill collector, we walk that path almost daily!

I know the owner (who has followed this thread closely) has been extremely appreciative of everyone's input (and I can't emphasise that enough) as am I, it has been a remarkable journey and most have participated simply with a desire to seek the true facts rather than tear holes and criticise and for that I thank you - personally, I remain in the camp of an original release for overseas distribution. But unless anything new is uncovered I guess we are all talked out.

The owner has decided to leave the poster as is on BIDLL and after all this if it doesn't sell he will frame it and put it on his wall where it will take pride of place and come with a quite remarkable story.

Either way, it's a hell of a rare poster.
    David

Thank you for sharing and I think you summed up the situation well. I am in the camp of ''with a desire to seek the true facts''. This has always been and will continue to be my aim.

Lawrence ( Hondo )

Lawrence
    I would imagine without doubt everyone is in that camp.
    David
  • 110x75110x75 Member, Sarli Connoisseur Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    CSM said:

Wasn't Richard the one that brought the whole S2 scandal to light?

Will definitely need to go back and read...

He definitely played a major role in figuring out exactly what the Profiles Dracula really was - i.e. the S2.

The thread on NSFGE is fantastic...

It's solid gold!!
  • SvenSven Member Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    CSM said:

Wasn't Richard the one that brought the whole S2 scandal to light?

Will definitely need to go back and read...

He definitely played a major role in figuring out exactly what the Profiles Dracula really was - i.e. the S2.

The thread on NSFGE is fantastic...

Do you have the link for the thread? Sorry if younhave provided already!

Miraculously I found it, in spite of my crappy search ability...enjoy!

http://stylec.yuku.com/topic/6364/Dracula?page=1#.VY9B67fALvY

Thanks ves!

I had faith...not a lot...but enough it seems ;)
    Chris
    That makes one of us :P
    David said:

personally, I remain in the camp of an original release for overseas distribution. But unless anything new is uncovered I guess we are all talked out.

I have something else I discovered a few days ago regarding London Films & Lion International distribution overseas. Does anyone wish to hear it ?

Lawrence
    HONDO said:
    David said:

personally, I remain in the camp of an original release for overseas distribution. But unless anything new is uncovered I guess we are all talked out.

I have something else I discovered a few days ago regarding London Films & Lion International distribution overseas. Does anyone wish to hear it ?

Yes please
  • HumphreyBogartHumphreyBogart Member Posts: 924 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    Sure. Lets hear it..
    Reg
    O.K.then. I'll just gather my facts and thoughts and will post it soon.
    Lawrence
    HONDO said:

The following are facts and the evidence supporting a re-release post 1956.

British Lion product  prior to 1956 was distributed in Australia along with London Films product  by London Films Australasia Pty. Ltd. through Universal Pictures.

In 1956 with London  Films closing down  distribution operations due to the death of Alexander Korda  British Lion product commenced being distributed by the newly formed Lion International Films Ltd. The product to be through 20th Century Fox. This arrangement was to be short lived as by the end of the 1950's BEF had taken over the physical distribution from 20th Century Fox. 

This to my thinking as  Lion International was formed in 1956 a 1949 poster wouldn't have had Lion Intrernational on it as it didn't exist until 1956 but it would have had London Films on it.

Hondo

Some new facts.

London Films through Universal had a small amount of films released in Australia in 1956 and one in March 28, 1957 when in the throughs of winding up their operations in Australia.

Lion International  Films through 20th Century Fox commenced operations in Australia in 1956 with at least one release as early as July 12, 1956.

On the  television print shown a few days ago on Australian television of Devil Girl From Mars which was originally released in the U.K. in May 1954 by London Films and in Australia by London Films in Sydney on the 21st of October, 1955, the opening has the London Films Logo   but not the normal big ben chimes London Films logo but has the following at the commencement of the film.  A LONDON FILMS ( INTERNATIONAL ) RELEASE followed by British Lion Film Corporation presents  Devil Girl From Mars .The film was produced by The Danzigers  Edward J. Danziger & Harry Lee Danziger for their independent production company Danziger Productions Ltd. as Gigi Productions and distributed by British Lion Film Corporation. No involvement with London Films at all in the making. On the British one & three sheets it has Distributed by London Films International on them along with the London Films logo and no mention of British Lion let alone Lion International.

The television print ( taken from original source material ) along with the two posters proves along with what I have previously stated ( to me anyhow ) that Lion International didn't come into existence until 1956 ( others say 1955 ). If as others say Lion international could have existed in other foreign countries other than Australia I sincerely doubt this as the ''A London Films ( International ) Release  of a British Lion Film Corporation film'' then why doesn't it have Lion International Present on it  as it is a British Lion release and not London Films. The original print of the film would have been for world wide release.

One last thing is if the Third Man had been released or rereleased before 1955/1956 it surely would have had London Films appearing on the poster somewhere.

Sorry another thing. Not one poster Before 1955 / 1956 has been shown to us apart from The Third Man being queried with Lion International on it. 

Lawrence
  • PaulPaul Member, Quad Master Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    As the poster never sold, what's he doing with it...?  David?
    It's more than a Hobby...
    He is keeping it.

He was selling it to offset the costs to adopt two children from India; he's a genuinely nice guy so I was keen to do what I could to help and spent quite a few dollars out of my own pocket advertising it to try to garner interest which we got but of course we also got a long discussion with everyone offering expert opinions.

Fortunately his savings have improved to the point that the sale is no longer a desperate situation so he is framing it, keeping it and now owns a very special poster - I am extremely pleased for him.
    David
  • PaulPaul Member, Quad Master Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    Good on him, nice to hear it was a first rate out-come.
    It's more than a Hobby...
    edited July 2015
    edited July 2015
    Is it me or are posts being deleted..
    Reg