Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Where Are These Daybills?

Comments

• RickRick Member Posts: 749 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    if anyone finds one of those Love Me Tender daybills please let me know!
  • theartofmovieposterstheartofmovieposters Member Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector
    HONDO said:

Sorry I cannot credit anyone with this image as I am unaware now where I sourced it from. An almost unrecognisable Debra Paget. Many questions arise here about this poster. Is it a original daybill, a reproduction or a 3 sheet. An original daybill I am almost certain would have had W.E. Smith appearing on it. Any thoughts?

John has it on his Elvis gallery page, and the image looks identical, so am guessing that is where it came from...I can see why you might think it's a repro...the colouring looks off and what is going on down in the credit area?  But I have no idea...with daybills anything is possible.  Maybe John can shed some more light?
  • JohnJohn Member, Dealer Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    That image was supplied to me by a collector. Unfortunately its the only one I have but maybe Rick might be able to help with an image.
    John

• HONDOHONDO Member, Wizard of Aus Posters Posts: 8,001 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector
    edited January 2017

UPDATED LIST.

The remaining list of films, except for two, from the 1950's and 1960's that were listed previously that I am still seeking daybill images of.

ACT OF LOVE

BABY FACE NELSON

BITTER SPRINGS ( the original and not the re-release daybill )

BROKEN LANCE

CAGED

CALAMITY JANE

COLDITZ STORY, THE

COMMAND, THE

CYRANO DE BERGERAC

FORTY GUNS

FOUR DAYS IN NOVEMBER

FROM THE TERRACE

GIGI

GLENROWAN AFFAIR, THE

HOME FROM THE HILL

I MARRIED AN ANGEL

KISS ME DEADLY

LIVING IDOL, THE

LOVE ME TENDER ( a W.E.Smith version if one exists )

MAKE HASTE TO LIVE

MARAUDERS, THE  ( 1955 version and not to be confused with the 1947 William Boyd film of the same name that an image is available of )

MURDER IS MY BEAT

NIGHT AND THE CITY

NIGHT CLUB ( rare Australian film from 1952 that received only a very limited release )

OKLAHOMA! ( the original RKO Australian release daybill and not the 20th Century Fox 1960's re-release version ) 

OUTCAST OF THE ISLANDS

RIOT IN CELL BLOCK 11

SABU AND THE MAGIC RING

SHADOW OF THE BOOMERANG, THE

SHANGHAI STORY, THE

SPRING REUNION

SUN SHINES BRIGHT, THE

TAMMY

TEN SECONDS TO HELL

WHITE HEAT

Lawrence
  • theartofmovieposterstheartofmovieposters Member Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector
    edited January 2017

Thanks Ves for the daybill image of The Sun Shines Bright. This is the U.S. insert version also downloaded to show the huge difference in the artwork. My problem with film posters designed and printed for 20th Century Fox, Republic and other product released through 20th Century Fox in Australia is they were mainly stingy with credits and images on their posters. Bare-bone would be a good way to describe it. My problem with the daybill design is John Ford was a very well known director following up on the huge success of his cavalry trio and success of The Quiet Man the year before, yet no mention of John Ford on the poster. 
    Post edited by David on
    Lawrence
    And also thanks Ves for The Living Idol daybill. The film is an interesting viewing experience if you ever get the opportunity to see it.
    Lawrence
    John, Love Me Tender is the sole Elvis daybill missing from my collection. I do have the Aussie one-sheet as compensation
    Rick said:
    John, Love Me Tender is the sole Elvis daybill missing from my collection. I do have the Aussie one-sheet as compensation

Please can we see the Love Me Tender Australian one sheet so I can compare it to the daybill in question ? I did say please.
    Lawrence
    HONDO said:
    Rick said:

Please can we see the Love Me Tender Australian one sheet so I can compare it to the daybill in question ? I did say please.

I'm pretty sure I stole an image of it from somewhere...let me look.

Firstly thanks to Ves for supplying the Australian  one sheet image. The one sheet was printed by Robert Burton for the Australian release on February 21, 1957. For anyone interested this was at the commencement of Robert Burton printing film posters in Australia starting in 1957. I am going to come out and say I firmly believe that the daybill is a fake. The reasons for believing this are that on the daybill the Elvis images are for a later period look, Compare Elvis on the one sheet to the daybill images, no Robert Burton or W.E. Smith printer's credits and the credits on the bottom of the daybill image  look like they have been borrowed from another poster and placed there. 

Lawrence
  • JohnJohn Member, Dealer Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    I had three Love Me Tender one sheets a few years ago and they all went in the space of a few weeks but have never had a daybill. When I get time, I will contact the person who sent me the image of the Love Me Tender daybill. I agree with Lawrence that it does look strange but the photo actually was taken from a shot of the entire collection of Elvis daybills together and I had to straighten it up a bit. I'm pretty sure that the collector has every daybill and one sheet so hopefully he can supply a better photo.
    John

Here is the insert for comparison...this is closer to the daybill than one the one sheet...
    The bottom line of credits that appear on the daybill has a slightly different colour backdrop behind the wording, compared to the remainder of the poster. It has to me what looks like exactly the same size lettering and presentation that could have been lifted directly from the U.S. insert. Just saying and 20th Century fox daybills, and I have sighted  most of them from that period, always, unlike some other distributors, had printer's credits appearing on them.
    Lawrence
    Yeah that bit and the top wording on the poster has me stumped also, but maybe a better pic will tell all!
    There is always hope we will get to see a better image through John or perhaps a different image from another source.
    Lawrence
    edited January 2017

If the daybill is authentic, would you pay big dollars for such an ugly image of Debra Paget, if you had the opportunity to purchase a copy, which wouldn't be cheap? Does owning an extremely rare poster cancel out the partial ugliness?
    Post edited by David on
    Lawrence
    edited January 2017
    no i don't think the daybill is a fake. I have seen one and that is the same image. I've got the Aussie one sheet (thanks to John - i must have been one of the three)_.
    HONDO said:
     Does owning an extremely rare poster cancel out the partial ugliness?

I can only speak from my experience...yep.
    edited January 2017

The Australian One sheet embrace.                                                                                                      
    Post edited by David on
    Lawrence

Ten Seconds to Hell - From John's site...

edited January 2017

Thanks for the Ten Seconds To Hell daybill image go to Ves / John. John had previously supplied the Australian one sheet image of Ten Seconds To Hell to this thread and I have pictured it here again for comparison to the daybill. Both rare posters.
    Post edited by David on
    Lawrence
  • collectaholliccollectahollic Member Posts: 745 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    A gap filler until I can take a better photograph.

Wil
  • collectaholliccollectahollic Member Posts: 745 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    Thanks for  the complete image.
    Lawrence
     An image of the Make Haste To Live ( 1954 ) daybill poster, that has just turned up on Bruce's Auction. 
    Lawrence

An owner of the daybill for Love Me Tender graciously agreed for me to share with you this much better image, and based off this picture, we have a winner.  Printed by Robert Burton as suggested by Lawrence.  Case closed now?

Let me know if that owner happens to want to part with LMT so a dedicated Elvis fan can complete his daybill collection.