Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

The Horror Quiz

Comments

• theartofmovieposterstheartofmovieposters Member Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector
    Gosh the first one looks familiar!  can't place it right now!
  • theartofmovieposterstheartofmovieposters Member Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector
    207. Freaks...first one is still stumping me but I know it!
  • PanchoPancho Member Posts: 565 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    #205 - Carnival of Souls? #208 - Zombieland
    HONDO said:

Although I agree with Pancho about the skull image from the image that he posted above being the same as on the original image I posted for identification, one thing is still odd about it though. All the original material was from a Roadshow daybill and Dr. Terror's House Of Horrors wasn't released in Australia by Roadshow, but by BEF which has completely different artwork on the daybill and also the one sheet with no skull to be seen.

Mystery solved!

Rick posted a Roadshow daybill for 'The Pit and the Pendulum' in the March 2017 new acquisitions and if you look on the right hand side above the word 'and' you can see the same skull!

• SvenSven Member Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    Same skull on pit pendulum and dr terrors?  I cant find the skull on the terrors!
    Sven said:
    Same skull on pit pendulum and dr terrors?  I cant find the skull on the terrors!
    Sorry! The skull is on the US poster (earlier in the feed).
    Ah i see the dr terror half sheet! Good spot!
  • HONDOHONDO Member, Wizard of Aus Posters Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector
    207. Freaks...first one is still stumping me but I know it!
    Pancho said:
    #205 - Carnival of Souls? #208 - Zombieland#

# 207 is indeed Freaks from 1932. Thanks Ves.

# 205 is Carnival of Souls from 1962.Thanks Pancho.

# 208 is Zombieland from 2009. Thanks Pancho.

Lawrence
    edited March 2017
                                                                                                                                       Seeing as everyone was stumped with this one I will reveal the answer to # 206 as being the 1998 version of Carnival Of Souls.
    Lawrence

209 210 211 

212                                                                                                       213

Name the film titles the above taglines came from.

Lawrence
  • PaulPaul Member, Quad Master Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    edited March 2017
    Circus of Horrors, and Homicidal...
    It's more than a Hobby...
    Paul said:
    Circus of Horrors, and Homicidal...
    For members who don't know which image numbers they refer to, would you mind indicating their allocated numbers ? This should help in the quest to solve the remaining three unanswered images.
    Lawrence
    210 and 211.
    Excellent and thanks Paul. # 210 Circus Of Horrors ( aka Phantom Of The Circus ) from 1960 and # 211 Homicidal from 1961. 
    Lawrence

A few clues for the three remaining unsolved images.

# 209. Made before a House was a hit.

# 212. Featured one of the horror greats.

# 213. Hugo.

Lawrence
    #212 - Twice Told Tales, #213 - Devil Doll.
     Final clue for # 209.
    Lawrence
    So is that Macabre...?
    Pancho said:
    #212 - Twice Told Tales, #213 - Devil Doll.

Both correct. Twice Told Tales ( aka Nights Of Terror ) from 1963 and Devil Doll from 1964.
    Lawrence
    HONDO said:
     Final clue for # 209.

Paul said:
    So is that Macabre...?

Yes it is Macabre from 1958 and William Castle's first ''gimmick'' film. The film was released  before House On Haunted Hill.

The ladies and the apes to follow.

Lawrence
    edited March 2017

214                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         215                                                    216                                            217 

Name the film titles.

Lawrence

A little hard perhaps?  Some clue then for the last four images.

# 214. A horror great played the title role.

# 215. The basis for a comic book series.

# 216. Oscar winning actress pictured above.

# 217. Remake of a 1930's film.

Lawrence
    #215 - Konga? #217 - Murders at the Rue Morgue?
    Pancho said:
    #215 - Konga? #217 - Murders at the Rue Morgue?

# 215 is Konga from 1961. Good work Pancho.

# 217 isn't Murders At The Rue Morgue but Phantom of The Rue Morgue ( 1954 ).

# 214 is The Ape Man ( 1943 ).

# 216 is Gorilla At Large ( 1954 ). The actress being Anne Bancroft.

Lawrence
  • CharlieCharlie Member, Administrator, Moderator, Game Master Posts: 6,152 admin

I've got a request Lawrence... What would you say about putting together a top 50 "B" Horror movies thread with daybills and I'll match your daybill post with posters from other countries.  This would be from whenever until now...
    That second mouse in the bowl of cream we call life...
    www.movieposterworks.com  | MPW on Facebook

I prefer dark chocolate as it tastes better to me and it is healthier to boot.

Interesting proposition you have presented to me, but if I was to consider something like this I would have to rule out Horror genre Australian daybills. The reason for this decision is that I consider this thread would not be played on an even playing field, and the humble Australian daybill would be very disadvantaged facing the World. The reasons for the daybills disadvantage is for the following reasons.

A considerable amount of horror films were banned in Australia in the 1940's through to the early 1970's when the R certificate was introduced in November,1971, therefore many great titles are excluded. All the 1950's AIP product were not shown in Australia, which have great U.S., U.K. and other foreign poster artwork.

In 1969 onwards some earlier titles were classified for exhibition, then mainly after the R certificate was introduced  a flood of once banned titles were classified for release, but the majority were printed in  uninspiring duotone versions only.  

In the 1950's and up to the 1970's Australian daybills were designed, due to censorship problems, as in what looked like in a lot of cases to the viewer, as appearing to be non horror films and images of axes, knives, vampires, blood. etc, that appeared on overseas artwork were not shown in a considerable percentage of the Horror daybills printed in Australia, of any Horror films that did pass through the censorship process in heavily cut theatrical versions. 

I am currently having a long break from film related matters, but perhaps towards the latter part of the year, and how does a VMPF thread titled ''Daybills vs The World'', which I would initially feature Film Noir daybills sound like? There are some great Richardson Studio/Paramount and RKO Radio titles, and these along with all the other major film distributors product, would prove very had to match in quality from other countries of the World. A challenge I am positive that the Australian daybill  would compare favourably against what the World could product in comparison on the forum.

Your thoughts Charlie? Also thoughts from our non-Australian members would be appreciated as well.

Lawrence
    That does sound like a fun thread! But the spoilers have been revealed (kinda) that daybill would lose on the horror genre and win on the film genre. I dont think there needs to be a winner..do both , top 25 of each genre (horror and noir)..you never know might be a close call! 
    We could round robin to each member to set the challenge e.g  daybill vs world for 1930s crime (top 10), then another member might pick daybill vs world for 1960s vampire theme (top 10)  then matias might pick daybill vs world 1970s sexploitation theme (top 10)...then you guys hunt down the best...post them ..and we all vote

edited April 2017
    My challenge would be daybill vs world James Stewart credited (top 10)