Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Who Are These Actresses Quiz ?

Comments

• HONDOHONDO Member, Wizard of Aus Posters Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector
    edited April 9

For S the clue of Abba I believe is a good one.
    Lawrence
    jayn_j said:
    agree that first one is easy, so I will give others a chance.

What Jay said...
     Q

For Q, seeing no one else appears to be going to answer this one and both of you know the answer, would either one of you like to provide the answer then?
    Lawrence
  • theartofmovieposterstheartofmovieposters Member Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector
    Carn Jay, you got it first...
  • jayn_jjayn_j Member, Singin Dancing Fool, Lobby Master Posts: 628 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    edited April 10
    Bridget Bardot and Jean Moreau in Viva Maria (1965)
    Thanks, Ves.

- Jay -
    Curmudgeon in training 
    HONDO said:

For Q, seeing no one else appears to be going to answer this one and both of you know the answer, would either one of you like to provide the answer then?
    Carn Jay, you got it first...Yes 
    jayn_j said:
    Bridget Bardot and Jean Moreau in Viva Maria (1965)
    Thanks, Ves.

Yes of course the lovely duo depicted in the  image is Brigitte Bardot and Jeanne Moreau.

Lawrence
    HONDO said:

For S the clue of Abba I believe is a good one.

For S, I had said earlier that Abba was the final clue but to get this solved another clue is a ''big connection with Africa''.
    Lawrence
  • theartofmovieposterstheartofmovieposters Member Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector
    Virginia McKenna
    Yes the answer for S is indeed Virginia McKenna. The image that I had displayed was extracted from the below scene, where she appeared with Christopher Plummer in the 1970 film Waterloo. My first clue had been Abba and my second clue of a'' big connection with Africa', referred to her once living in Africa and filming there on a few occasions, that included her making her most well known film Born Free.

Lawrence

I did say that question R would one of the most difficult images to answer. To tidy things up here, the answer is Linda Marlowe from the 1973 film Big Zapper. Lind Marlowe is an Australian born British film, theatre and television actress. Well regarded and known to theatregoers in the U.K, but little known throughout the rest of the world.

Lawrence
    and this forum it seems.... :)
      U   V

One modern and one older image to solve.
    Lawrence
    U looks like Abigail Breslin

U looks like Abigail Breslin

It certainly is a more grown up Abigail Breslin from the film Perfect Sisters from 2014.
    Lawrence

Clue for V is that the image is of an Academy award winning actress.

Lawrence
    She is another that looks very familiar but I can't put my finger on it.
    HONDO said:

Final clue. In 1939 & 1940 this actress appeared in three films opposite an actor who was on the his way to becoming a huge box office star. She received top billing over him  in the three films. 
    Lawrence
  • jayn_jjayn_j Member, Singin Dancing Fool, Lobby Master Posts: 628 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    edited April 19
    My best guess is Irene Dunn, but I'm pretty sure I'm wrong.  This one is tough, even with the clues.
    Co-star would be Cary Grant, but you have to go into 1941 to find three films.

No.  Although she was nominated several times, she never won an Oscar.
    - Jay -
    Curmudgeon in training 
  • BruceBruce Member, Captain Movie Poster Posts: 860 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    I was thinking Claire Trevor, but the nose is too big and I think she was only billed over John Wayne once (although she did win an Oscar).

I guess I will feed dumb when I find out!

How about one more clue (like rhymes with "X")?
    We (eMoviePoster.com) hold 3,000 auctions a week, 138,000 a year.
    See all of our current auctions in one gallery here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/all.html

HONDO said:
    HONDO said:

Final clue. In 1939 & 1940 this actress appeared in three films opposite an actor who was on the his way to becoming a huge box office star. She received top billing over him  in the three films. 
    Bruce although you were doubting yourself, you did supply the correct answer with Clair Trevor, so good work. She received an Academy Award for best supporting actress in Key Largo ( 1948 ), and received top billing over John Wayne in Stagecoach ( 1939 ), Allegheny Uprising ( 1939 ) and Dark Command ( 1940 ). She also received an academy award nomination for best supporting actress in another John Wayne film The High and the Mighty ( 1954 ), along for one for best supporting actress in Dead End ( 1937 ). The image I displayed was from the 1935 film Spring Tonic.

The following three images show where she was top billed over John Wayne.

Claire Trevor's career certainly advanced between 1935 when billed third in Spring Tonic to being top billed in 1939 & 1940.

Lawrence
  • EisenhowerEisenhower Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 4,038 admin
    Wow! A young Clare Trevor! I would have never guessed, you can see the resemblance though. 
    But 'on his way to the top'?  John Wayne had been box office since the early 30s. He was a contract player in the Three Mesquiteers back into the 1920s.  Granted, these roles broke him free from Westerns typcasting.

- Jay -
    Curmudgeon in training 
    edited April 21

Regarding The Dark Command. All re-release U.S.A. film posters elevated John Wayne to top billing and shortened the title to just Dark Command,
    Above is an Italian 1P poster with some very interesting billing. Not only is Walter Pigeon given top billing over Claire Trevor and John Wayne but his name is double the size of the other two - but wait there's more. Not sighted on any other poster, that I know of is Roy Rogers, instead of an image of John Wayne. This depiction you can see is the same scene as on the U.S. black and white still.
    The poster would be from the first release, probably in the late 1940's or early 1950's in Italy. In this period of time John Wayne was a box office giant yet only receives third billing with no image depicted. During this time Walter Pigeon was no longer the big box office star that he was in the early 1940's, so why the prominent display of his name ?

Lawrence

W. She was to become a big teen star for a period of time --- X. She was married to a famous actor and this image is from a very well known cult film that she appeared in..
    Lawrence
    X Diane Cilento (in one of my very favorite movies, The Wicker Man)
    See all of our current auctions in one gallery here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/all.html
    W Molly Ringwald on TV's The Facts of Life (I would not have gotten it without the clue)

Bruce said:
    W Molly Ringwald on TV's The Facts of Life (I would not have gotten it without the clue)

Correct and promptly answered. The Facts Of Life was a television series that was on air 1979-1988 ). It appears this image is from 1979 or 1980 during the period that Molly appeared on the show.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  Bruce said:
    X Diane Cilento (in one of my very favorite movies, The Wicker Man)
    Correct again Bruce and promptly answered also. Diane Cilento was married to Sean Connery for eleven years ( 1962 -1973 ). My original image was isolated from this fuller image of The Wicker Man ( 1973 ). She is seen here with her co-star Edward Woodward in a scene from the film..

Lawrence
    too fast for me.
    - Jay -
    Curmudgeon in training 
      Y  Z

Two more actresses currently working in films that hopefully will be known to all members viewing this.
    Lawrence
    Z is Rose Byrne.

I can't make out Y on my phone properly, Laura Dern?

Z is Rose Byrne.

I can't make out Y on my phone properly, Laura Dern?
    Congratulations Ves with both answers being correct. Z is Rose Byrne from Two Hands ( 1999 ) and Y is Laura Dern from Smooth Talk ( 1985 ). You are now the record holder in time taken in answering the questions correctly, establishing a record of two minutes.

Lawrence