Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Hondo's This And That

14567810»

Comments

• CSM_2_Point_0CSM_2_Point_0 Member, Super Sleuth Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter

Why does it have an A rating as well as "Revised" wording?

-Chris

There's a street of lights

A long dark night
    Restaurant scenes
    And dark machines...

• MattMatt Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 5,397 admin
    Adults only New Zealand poster. The movie did come out the States in 3D but was badly received so 2D replaced it shortly after. Quite a few changes from the Aussie.

https://www.moviemem.com/galleries/alfred-hitchcock-movie-posters.php?page=2
  • CSM_2_Point_0CSM_2_Point_0 Member, Super Sleuth Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    Good call Matt - forgot about that image.  

Odd that the A rating and "revised" do not appear to be snipes but actually printed 
    -Chris

A long dark night
    Restaurant scenes
    And dark machines...

Yeah, it is odd. I can't see any printers details either.
  • CharlieCharlie Member, Administrator, Moderator, Game Master Posts: 6,552 admin
    Permissions reinstated - have a little more respect for your hosts and you'll go far...

That second mouse in the bowl of cream we call life...
  • HONDOHONDO Member Posts: 8,262 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector

Why does it have an A rating as well as "Revised" wording?

A reply to a query regarding Dial M For Murder that I received back from a contact in New Zealand is as follows.

'' Thanks for your email. Dial M For Murder was classified 'A' with cuts in 1954. The 'revised'  may refer to the film being a cut version, or to the classification being amended in some way  - however I'm not sure anout this - as far as I  can see the classification of the film did not change when released on 16mm in 1956. I have attached the excision notice for the film. 

Hope this is helpful.''

Matt had previously explained the 'A' classification, but the 'revised' wording most likely will remain a mystery though.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Pre annoying mobile phone distractions there were many other distractions it appears. 

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Does something look a little odd to you here, and if so what is it ?

Guns In The Afternoon ( 1962 ).  I woner why the Metrocolor was altered to Colour in New Zealand?

Big Jake ( 1971 ).Original daybill printed for the late 1971 Australian release and three stock daybill posters printed after the change in Australian censorship ratings occured in November 1971. One printing with the new censorship rating applied would have been sufficient one would have thought, so one wonders why three variations in colour of the same design were needed for a follow up stock poster for a film that was far away from setting any records at the box office.

Lawrence

Blondie Brings Up Baby ( 1938 ) Australian daybill and a U.S. window card. An unusual Australian message added to the daybill for whatever reason.. 

Secret People ( 1952 ). An Ealing Studios film released in the U.K. by General Film Distributors ( Rank ) featuring  Audrey Hepburn in her first major role. This film released in the year before Roman Holiday made her a huge star.
    The interesting fact here was that it most certainly appears that the film wasn't given a theatrical release in Australia. No record at all in any Australian issues of The Film Daily yearbooks from the 1950's, or from Trove newspaper advertisements from the 1950's onwards mentioning that this title was ever released theatrically in Australia. The film wasn't mainly reviewed favourably when reviewed in 1952.

A rare Walt Disney's Donald Duck Australian RKO Radio glass advertising slide.

Lawrence

Thoroughbred ( 1936 ). Very rare Australian paper for this Australian film which starred Hollywood actress Helen Twelvetrees.. 

The film had been advertised in Australia as being  Australia's first World producion. 

As per the following Australian newspaper story published in 1936 a good distribution deal acquired in the U.K.

It certainly appears that although having a Hollywood actress top billed in the film it wasn't picked up for U.S.A. distribution for whatever reason. In the same year of 1936 an independent Canadian film production was released with the same title and also was a horse racing content film starring American Toby Wing.     

Lawrence
    edited May 19
    Noticed something interesting on the back of my Sinister Shadow (aka House of Horrors) daybill - somehow I never saw this before!  The back has the base yellow + registration marks of another litho printing...it certainly does not appear to be a ghosting transfer but an actual printing.

Anyways I figured out what it is for and I don't believe a completed image of this daybill has surfaced yet? ;)

-Chris

A long dark night
    Restaurant scenes
    And dark machines...

Noticed something interesting on the back of my Sinister Shadow (aka House of Horrors) daybill - somehow I never saw this before!  The back has the base yellow + registration marks of another litho printing...it certainly does not appear to be a ghosting transfer but an actual printing.

Anyways I figured out what it is for and I don't believe a completed image of this daybill has surfaced yet? ;)

The Spider Woman Strikes Backs is the film poster in the image. Interestingly both this title, along with The Sinister Shadow  were Universal films from 1946 and W.E.Smith printings, if this helps at all. 
    Lawrence
  • theartofmovieposterstheartofmovieposters Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector

All you need to do now is enrol in those art classes and you will have a 2 sided daybill!

HONDO said:

The Spider Woman Strikes Backs is the film poster in the image. Interestingly both this title, along with The Sinister Shadow  were Universal films from 1946 and W.E.Smith printings, if this helps at all. 
    Good eye Lawrence - you got it!

Anyone have a pic of the finished daybill?
    -Chris

A long dark night
    Restaurant scenes
    And dark machines...

Good eye Lawrence - you got it!

Anyone have a pic of the finished daybill?
    Not me.
    Lawrence

Some information on King Kong and The Endless Summer Australian first releases soon.
    Lawrence

Lady Godiva Rides Again ( U.K. 1951 ) ( aka Bikini Baby in the U.S.A.) You can spot Diana Dors in the lineup and also Joan Collins and Anne Heywood who were appearing in their first film roles. Diana of course went on to bigger things and Joan and Anne went on to have movie fame.

Lawrence