Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Hondo's This And That

12346»

Comments

• HONDOHONDO Member, Wizard of Aus Posters Posts: 8,136 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector

Mark said:
    HONDO said:

The Inn Of The  Sixth Happiness ( 1958 ), The above Robert Burton daybill has always been thought to be the original Australian first release daybill. Now a W.E.Smith of exactly the same design with different colouring has surfaced.

Your thoughts?
    I reckon there could be a full-colour W.E. that hasn't surfaced yet. Similar case to King & I.

There well may be full colour W.E.Smith The Inn Of The Sixth Happiness daybill as well as the one I posted an image of, or this one may be the only one W.E. Smith printed. Regardless of there being one or two printings by W.E. Smith one thing is certain either or both would have been first release daybills as W.E. Smith was the preferred printer up to the late 1950's when Robert Burton took over the role. I doubt the Robert Burton version was printed for the first release. My theory regarding the Burton version  is that the real life person Gladys Aylward, who had a book written about her in 1957 titled The Small Woman and made into The Inn Of The Sixth Happiness and released in 1958, in which Ingrid Bergman portrayed her, was the reason.Gladys Alyward  visited Australia in 1961, and due to the large amount of publicity the Australian visit was given, I believe 20th Century Fox just had Robert Burton copy the original W.E.Smith design, as W.E.Smith was no longer producing and printing movie posters, to cover anticipated bookings for the film.

Lawrence
  • JohnJohn Member, Dealer Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    Only two daybills are known to exist for this title. I have had a number of both styles over the years. The W.E.Smith looks very much like a poor copy of the Burton daybill which is consistent with many other similar posters. There is no evidence of an earlier W.E.Smith daybill so we can only really rely on what actually exists at the moment. 
    John

John said:
    Only two daybills are known to exist for this title. I have had a number of both styles over the years. The W.E.Smith looks very much like a poor copy of the Burton daybill which is consistent with many other similar posters. There is no evidence of an earlier W.E.Smith daybill so we can only really rely on what actually exists at the moment. 
    Mark had suggested perhaps a full colour daybill could exist. My personal thoughts are that only one W.E. Smith daybill had been printed and that only two daybill versions exist.
    Lawrence
  • MarkMark Member Posts: 620 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    edited November 9
    King & I for reference of W.E 2nd printing style (same colours as Inn):

edited November 9

Is Mark correct in his thinking ? Is there, as in the case of The King And I, a full colour W.E.Smith version  out there somewhere ?

Lawrence
    Some early Cinemascope titles are extremely hard to find. That is the only King & I first release I've ever seen. Others like The Command are still MIA.

Mark said:
    Some early Cinemascope titles are extremely hard to find. That is the only King & I first release I've ever seen. Others like The Command are still MIA.
    I am sure that members of the forum don't realize the magnitude of missing daybills in Australia. Talking about missing CinemaScope productions here are some very early titles. To the best of my knowledge I haven't ever sighted any images. 

Beneath The 12-Mile reef

East Of Eden
    Broken Lance
    Carmen Jones
    The Student Prince ( only re-release version is available )
    Three Coins In A Fountain
    Drum Beat
    New Faces
    Ring Of Fear
    Lucky Me
    The Command ( already mentioned by Mark )

Lawrence
  • MattMatt Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 5,158 admin
    Beneath 12 Mile Reef daybill

edited November 9
    I have been looking for Broken Lance for 10+ years. This is all I have found so far >>

Regarding Inn of 6th, Burton did print The Long, Hot Summer, which was another Cinemascope title from 1958.

Three CinemaScope 20th Century Fox films printed in 1958 by W.E.Smith. The vast majority of Fox daybills by 1958 were then being printed by Robert Burton, making W.E.Smith printings far and few between.

Lawrence
    Matt said:

I apparently missed collecting the image provided originally, which on viewing does look familiar now. Thanks for posting.
    Lawrence
    Matt said:

Worst rendering of an octopus ever! Looks like a giant batfish to me.

Matt said:
    Worst rendering of an octopus ever! Looks like a giant batfish to me.

I am thinking that this U.S.A. insert image would have been more effective used on the Australian daybill.The powers to be at 20th Century Fox in Australia apparently thought that less was the best on a good deal of their daybill artwork produced during the 1950's.

Lawrence
    edited November 13

A                                                                                              B

War And Peace ( 1956 ). Two different Richardson Studio daybills A & B. designed and printed for the 1957 Australia release.

C                                                                                               D

C Is another version of the above first displayed A poster designed by Richardson Studio and also printed by W.E.Smith. I believe C to be a second printing produced before 1960 when Richardson Studio's association with W.E.Smith ended when both companies ceased producing and printing film posters.

D is another version of both the A & C design which was brought to my attention by a forum member recently. This is obviously a copying of the Richardson Studio design printed by Robert Burton, with no credit given to Richardson Studio. This then has to a third printing of the original A design. I am unable to establish that an official re-release of War And Peace ever happened in Australia, so I am thinking this Burton printing was possibly printed in the fist half of the 1960's just to replenish stock levels.
    Lawrence
    By a forum member? Do you mean John?
    Matt said:
    No it wasn't John.

Lawrence
  • JohnJohn Member, Dealer Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    edited November 13
    Matt said:
    Not me directly.

A couple of weeks ago, a collector asked me about the differences between the W.E.Smith and the Robert Burton daybills. I published an article a week ago on my website with my opinions here ....
    https://www.moviemem.com/articles/australian-daybills-original-or-reissue/war-and-peace-daybill-movie-poster-original-or-reissue

I contacted a couple of dealers about this and had intended to email Lawrence for his opinion but hadn't got around to it. 

John

edited November 13

HONDO said:
    Matt said:
    No it wasn't John.

Matt said:
    Then who was it?

I hadn't been aware of John's article published on his webste about the  War and Peace daybills until this morning. The person who had contacted me prior to this about this matter a week ago was Ves. I was solely responding to her query about this matter and writing about it here on this thread.
    Lawrence

There were sixteen Jungle Jim feature films released by Columbia Pictures between 1948 and 1956. Discounting various duotone daybill versions, I have located original colour daybill versions of twelve of the sixteen titles.  The four missing original colour title daybills are Jungle Jim ( 1948 ), Mark Of The Gorilla ( 1950 ), Fury Of The Congo ( 1951 ) & Killer Ape ( 1953 ). If anyone has any of these titles or perhaps just images please post them here.

The Outlaw  & Frozen ( 2013 ) poster images that I noticed on the internet. No details attached of their sizes or any poster type information. Does anyone have any details?

Cleopatra ( 1963 ). An original 1963 printed Australian one sheet poster produced for limited 70mm screenings.

Original 1963 Australian one sheet printed for 35mm screenings of the same W. Schey design.

The Royelltone Prints Academy Awards printed one sheet version, most likely between very late 1964 or after. Royelltone Prints Pty. Limited commenced printing 20th Century Fox film posters in late 1964.The earliest poster they printed that I have located so far is Guns At Batasi, which was released in Sydney on October 15, 1964.

Now for the Cleopatra daybill situation. Although not credited as being Royelltone Prints their Academy Awards late 1964 printed version is readily available and appears to be the only version that I have ever sighted. Is their an earlier daybill version even existing ? Was one even printed for the earlier 70mm and roadshow presentations at all ? Any imput would be great.

Lawrence