Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Support Our Sponsors:



Yet Another Forum?

DavidDavid Administrator Posts: 10,110 admin
edited June 2014 in Everything Random!
OK, kinda of funny really; the topic as most know was started in APF by a member who in recent days has upped and left. That same member had actually tried to start another forum himself previously with yours truly and a couple of others from here, but I guess we all couldn't agree on the format etc so we all ended up doing our own thing...well more to the point, we did ourthing he didn't do anything.

Anway, the above topic and some of the comments therein were quite scathing of those of us who had started this forum, and so be it, but I see that Mel has now started his own, in fact a Facebook Group: http://goo.gl/RaxkH1 (just in case anyone wants to be nosey).

Personally I have always been a one forum kinda of guy, but with FB I struggle to keep up with what I already am a part of; I have my own personal page (http://goo.gl/HpDuC4), I am also a member of this forum's own FB page (http://goo.gl/AaBY2N) and I run my own Movie Poster FB Page (http://goo.gl/xUxl2M) with a few followers to keep me occupied. 

The problem with FB is Facebook tends to be more an homage to and/or the latest news from type bulletin board rather than being able to maintain a variety of threads and topics in a searchable or readable format. 

But good luck to him...

Wonder if this topic will be copied elsewhere very shortly (we know you are watching...hehe) :)>-
David
«134567

Comments

  • MattMatt Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 4,656 admin
    I'm sure it will be spoken about in one way or another.
  • CharlieCharlie Member, Administrator, Moderator, Game Master Posts: 6,031 admin
    I think what just annoys the crap out of me is that he's going it alone. I told him to drop by here and he said no. Yet he gave me a big lecture on splitting from the forum and how it would further fracture us.
    That second mouse in the bowl of cream we call life...
    www.movieposterworks.com  | MPW on Facebook
  • DavidDavid Administrator Posts: 10,110 admin
    What's there to fracture...it's a bunch of people going to their local pub for a regular catch up, with the added bonus that both Bruce and Rich come in and flash us all once a week.
    David
  • HumphreyBogartHumphreyBogart Member Posts: 924 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    David said:
    What's there to fracture...it's a bunch of people going to their local pub for a regular catch up, with the added bonus that both Bruce and Rich come in and flash us all once a week.
    You mean bruce & rich pub fights..
    Reg
  • BruceBruce Member Posts: 751 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    I post here about my current auctions (once or twice per set) because you seem to want me to. If I am wrong, say the word and I won't post about them at all. I am easy to get along with, and I won't be offended if my posts about my auctions are not wanted!
    We (eMoviePoster.com) hold 3,000 auctions a week, 138,000 a year.
    See all of our current auctions in one gallery here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/all.html
  • BruceBruce Member Posts: 751 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    Incidentally, I posted about Mel's new forum on APF, and gave you full credit David. I wonder if it will stay up.
    We (eMoviePoster.com) hold 3,000 auctions a week, 138,000 a year.
    See all of our current auctions in one gallery here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/all.html
  • CharlieCharlie Member, Administrator, Moderator, Game Master Posts: 6,031 admin
    Well it didn't last long...
    That second mouse in the bowl of cream we call life...
    www.movieposterworks.com  | MPW on Facebook
  • rdavey26rdavey26 Member Posts: 676 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    To each their own and the choices they make in life. 
  • CharlieCharlie Member, Administrator, Moderator, Game Master Posts: 6,031 admin
    I post here about my current auctions (once or twice per set) because you seem to want me to. If I am wrong, say the word and I won't post about them at all. I am easy to get along with, and I won't be offended if my posts about my auctions are not wanted!
    You so crazy!  Of course we want you here posting auctions etc. not only to be reminded about them but with the hope you'll chime in on other topics like the restorer family tree or authentication threads when you are here...
    That second mouse in the bowl of cream we call life...
    www.movieposterworks.com  | MPW on Facebook
  • unfriendlycollectorunfriendlycollector Member Posts: 190 ✭✭ One-Sheeter
    Charlie, do you mind asking UncleMel next time you speak with him what he meant when he typed the following “Like I told 'em, this hobby does not need any more forums.  It already has several "barely alive" forums - NS4, MOPO (which has became dealer post purgatory), MPF, and MoviePosterDB's forum”.  Now, I can’t see what he created over there since I don’t use Facebook. For all I know he could’ve gone off and formed the Church of M-e-l.
    MICHAEL

  • CharlieCharlie Member, Administrator, Moderator, Game Master Posts: 6,031 admin
    Charlie, do you mind asking UncleMel next time you speak with him what he meant when he typed the following “Like I told 'em, this hobby does not need any more forums.  It already has several "barely alive" forums - NS4, MOPO (which has became dealer post purgatory), MPF, and MoviePosterDB's forum”.  Now, I can’t see what he created over there since I don’t use Facebook. For all I know he could’ve gone off and formed the Church of M-e-l.
    8-}

    This is the quote that I remember and why I find my self just totally #$*^%*! annoyed with what he's trying to do.  The other feeling is pity because I think he will find himself alone now and having to build a new set of contacts.  He wants me to post stuff and I just don't have the energy to keep up with it.  Besides facebooks seems so flaky in terms of organization and permanence.  He posted some 1000 images - if you've ever flipped through someones facebook album, after about 15 pictures I feel like gouging my eyes out. click, click, click...  

    Church of M-e-l,  too funny!
    That second mouse in the bowl of cream we call life...
    www.movieposterworks.com  | MPW on Facebook
  • unfriendlycollectorunfriendlycollector Member Posts: 190 ✭✭ One-Sheeter
    Are you serious? He wants you to post over at his church, but patently refuses to post on your forum?  
    MICHAEL

  • CharlieCharlie Member, Administrator, Moderator, Game Master Posts: 6,031 admin
    OK I sent him a PM...
    That second mouse in the bowl of cream we call life...
    www.movieposterworks.com  | MPW on Facebook
  • DavidDavid Administrator Posts: 10,110 admin
    edited June 2014
    Incidentally, I posted about Mel's new forum on APF, and gave you full credit David. I wonder if it will stay up.
    Well there's your problem...you mentioned me and Mel in the same sentence. lol  :D

    Still, looks like all this newness elsewhere means a new broom is sweeping through APF, other than continuing to bump very old posts there is renewed push for their FB page (watch out M.e.l) and now a banner has been added to the forum site, psssst it's kinda obvious boys...

    image
    David said:
    What's there to fracture...it's a bunch of people going to their local pub for a regular catch up, with the added bonus that both Bruce and Rich come in and flash us all once a week.
    You mean bruce & rich pub fights..
    Hasn't been one here and can't see it ever happening, so not technically a true statement
    Post edited by David on
    David
  • MattMatt Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 4,656 admin
    edited June 2014
    Church of M e l. 

    .=))

    I can picture him preaching..


  • CharlieCharlie Member, Administrator, Moderator, Game Master Posts: 6,031 admin
    Did you see where T basically said Mel is not welcome at APF anymore.

    That second mouse in the bowl of cream we call life...
    www.movieposterworks.com  | MPW on Facebook
  • MattMatt Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 4,656 admin
    edited June 2014
    Yup, he sounded pissed off.

  • CharlieCharlie Member, Administrator, Moderator, Game Master Posts: 6,031 admin
    Are you serious? He wants you to post over at his church, but patently refuses to post on your forum?  
    Yep, I told him I couldn't, but that if he wanted to go through a few days/weeks of hell over here, he was welcome.  But I am not sure if he could adhere to the outing policy.  he already outed an auction on his facebook page.
    That second mouse in the bowl of cream we call life...
    www.movieposterworks.com  | MPW on Facebook
  • CharlieCharlie Member, Administrator, Moderator, Game Master Posts: 6,031 admin
    Matt said:
    Yup, he sounded pissed off.

    I think killing the links was a bitch move.  However, when I got banned I pulled mine but then reinstated them once I chatted with H.  I was so #$*^%*! pissed getting banned... But if you think about it with these forums, you are building somewhat of an online legacy - like the linenbacking thread.  If you take the images away it doesn't make sense.  Not to mention authentication and other efforts - without the images they are often worthless.

    One day I hope for some newbie to ask - "Who was this Charlie guy that got banned?"  I think by not burning that bridge the answer will be somewhat positive.

    Now put Mel in there: "Who was this Mel guy that left and deleted all his images?"  - Oh some punk bitch who started a poster religion on facebook.
    That second mouse in the bowl of cream we call life...
    www.movieposterworks.com  | MPW on Facebook
  • CharlieCharlie Member, Administrator, Moderator, Game Master Posts: 6,031 admin
    You know I was wondering...

    Mel had 7,000+ posts
    I had 4,000+ posts
    David has 4000+ posts
    Mat had ? probably 3000+?

    That's like that is 18,000 posts...  Probably comes out to around 16 posts/day.  That's ~480 a month - 5,760 a year...

    Last year there were 32000 posts...

    Us four accounted for 18% of the posts on APF.  If you toss out all the dealer posts that percentage climbs significantly.  


    That second mouse in the bowl of cream we call life...
    www.movieposterworks.com  | MPW on Facebook
  • DavidDavid Administrator Posts: 10,110 admin
    edited June 2014
    Charlie said:
    Matt said:
    Yup, he sounded pissed off.

    I think killing the links was a bitch move.  However, when I got banned I pulled mine but then reinstated them once I chatted with H.  I was so #$*^%*! pissed getting banned... But if you think about it with these forums, you are building somewhat of an online legacy - like the linenbacking thread.  If you take the images away it doesn't make sense.  Not to mention authentication and other efforts - without the images they are often worthless.

    One day I hope for some newbie to ask - "Who was this Charlie guy that got banned?"  I think by not burning that bridge the answer will be somewhat positive.

    Now put Mel in there: "Who was this Mel guy that left and deleted all his images?"  - Oh some punk bitch who started a poster religion on facebook.
    I simply doubt people research that far back, to quote our beloved Prime Minister, forums aren't "a suppository of knowledge" (or are they?), If Mel and others remove their images etc does it matter? Not really, the current people will keep it current all else is just for a few who care to dig. 

    Once gone is gone, it's just a hobby with personalities in it, it's not like we are curing cancer or anything, others will come and fill the space, so be it, in the future they may sing sea shanties over there about M.e.l (or even a hymn of two), but like H said he, like all of us will be long forgotten in time. Do I care?  No, my legacy will not be about the posters I have collected or the intelligent/dumbass things I have said in a forum.
    David
  • DavidDavid Administrator Posts: 10,110 admin
    edited June 2014
    Charlie said:
    Did you see where T basically said Mel is not welcome at APF anymore.

    Account is still alive...maybe he is welcome but through the servant's entrance?
    David
  • CharlieCharlie Member, Administrator, Moderator, Game Master Posts: 6,031 admin
    David said:
    Charlie said:
    Matt said:
    Yup, he sounded pissed off.

    I think killing the links was a bitch move.  However, when I got banned I pulled mine but then reinstated them once I chatted with H.  I was so #$*^%*! pissed getting banned... But if you think about it with these forums, you are building somewhat of an online legacy - like the linenbacking thread.  If you take the images away it doesn't make sense.  Not to mention authentication and other efforts - without the images they are often worthless.

    One day I hope for some newbie to ask - "Who was this Charlie guy that got banned?"  I think by not burning that bridge the answer will be somewhat positive.

    Now put Mel in there: "Who was this Mel guy that left and deleted all his images?"  - Oh some punk bitch who started a poster religion on facebook.
    I simply doubt people research that far back, to quote our beloved Prime Minister, forums aren't "a suppository of knowledge" (or are they?), If Mel and others remove their images etc does it matter? Not really, the current people will keep it current all else is just for a few who care to dig. 

    Once gone is gone, it's just a hobby with personalities in it, it's not like we are curing cancer or anything, others will come and fill the space, so be it, in the future they may sing sea shanties over there about M.e.l (or even a hymn of two), but like H said he, like all of us will be long forgotten in time. Do I care?  No, my legacy will not be about the posters I have collected or the intelligent/dumbass things I have said in a forum.
    Well that's a bummer.  #$*^%*! it!  I quit.




    (until I get back to the house)
    That second mouse in the bowl of cream we call life...
    www.movieposterworks.com  | MPW on Facebook
  • DavidDavid Administrator Posts: 10,110 admin
    I read the small print...
    David
  • BruceBruce Member Posts: 751 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    "H said he, like all of us will be long forgotten in time"

    How long before I am gone before they say "Bruce who?"


    :))
    We (eMoviePoster.com) hold 3,000 auctions a week, 138,000 a year.
    See all of our current auctions in one gallery here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/all.html
  • DavidDavid Administrator Posts: 10,110 admin
    edited June 2014
    I guess it's not about being well remembered after you're gone but being well thought of while you're still around...and, as long as it is by the people that matter to you then that's all that should be important.
    David
  • CharlieCharlie Member, Administrator, Moderator, Game Master Posts: 6,031 admin
    edited June 2014
    Newbies might not care, but I think the people you've dealt with over the course of your time online will.  I think the final stretch is meeting up at some point in person like they do at cinevent etc...  For example Susan Olson all those people on NS4 gave her a fine tribute when she passed.  If I manage to stay in the hobby long enough, I think that is a fitting end for collectors like us.  Same for you Bruce - that is all we can ask.  Did we ever touch someone's life.  I think your covered B.  

    Of course guys (since I am so much younger) if you write me into your will, I will remember you 4ever! lol

    I hear Cinevent is shit now, maybe it's time for a new show somewhere else.  Like the Gold Coast Down Under...
    That second mouse in the bowl of cream we call life...
    www.movieposterworks.com  | MPW on Facebook
  • jayn_jjayn_j Member Posts: 495 ✭✭ One-Sheeter
    Really a shame. I go to these places for relaxation and entertainment. I have no desire to present my passport at each armed camp in order to read posts about how all the other forums are full of bitchy little girls. At this point I see all the forums as dead or dying.
    - Jay -
    Curmudgeon in training 
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 125 ✭✭ One-Sheeter
    Hey I had over 3000 posts too.... And don't forget, I was the pioneering quitter of APF, bringing a change of life to all those other forum quitters that followed



  • DavidDavid Administrator Posts: 10,110 admin
    edited June 2014
    jayn_j said:
    Really a shame. I go to these places for relaxation and entertainment. I have no desire to present my passport at each armed camp in order to read posts about how all the other forums are full of bitchy little girls. At this point I see all the forums as dead or dying.
    Perhaps. But name a social gathering anywhere in the world (online or otherwise) where people don't have disagreements...
    David
Sign In or Register to comment.

This Vintage Movie Poster Forum is powered by some old cinema posters, the flame retardant properties of a Top Gun Daybill, and a
British Quad which has been folded just the right amount of times and shoved under one of the corners to stop the place from wobbling.