Skip to content

When nobody wants to post thread....

Comments

• I'm on the other side of this - momma is sick and trying to make sure she doesn't die as she is always reminding me that such a thing is actually happening at least every four hours...
  • Oh and get well Mark, you'll need your strength for when Ohio State gets left out of the playoff...
  • As I sit here in the front room of our quiet early morning house sipping my coffee, I chuckled out loud when I read that Charlie. I had just finished looking at the espn rankings thinking, "now
    whonhas to win & lose for Ohio St to sneak in...." 

hehehe....good one.  B)

• David said:
    Lucky you've take one for the team, only men can take the pain and suffering of man 'flu and live to tell the story for his children to pass down through generations and tell of their ancestor's bravery in the face of such adversity...
    My big mistake this sickness season for me was NOT taking a day off of work. I stupidly waited till it was Thanksgiving morning to seek out an early morning "urgent care" facility & pharmacy to get my prescriptions. Butt! After 4 days of meds I think I'm back in track!....
  • What all the pyramids used to look like:

Earthquakes destroyed the white limestone casing:

• Great pictures.

Earthquakes? I think some of it was removed to build
    mosques in Cairo and other nearby areas? 
  • Great pictures.

Indeed - earthquakes and expansion/contraction of the stone over thousands of years certainly played a role in the casing becoming dislodged - but the majority of the stone pilfering took place to build Medieval Cairo...
  • Great pictures.

That's what I thought.
  • I thought the pyramids were grain silos?

Here is a handy checklist to help tell eMoviePoster.com apart from all other major auctions!
    HAS lifetime guarantees on every item - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS unrestored and unenhanced images - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS 100% honest condition descriptions - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS auctions where the winner is the higher of two real bidders - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "buyers premiums" - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "reserves or starts over $1 - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS hidden bidder IDs - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS no customer service to speak of - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "nosebleed" shipping charges - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS inadequate packaging - NOT eMoviePoster.com

• Rocketships.
  • Game pieces.  The board got covered with sand.

• Naked sunny boys
  • Bruce said:
    I thought the pyramids were grain silos?
    Hmmm....

• edited November 2017
    David said:
    Some great images there...although I agree with my wife that the LC original is better.

Back to PS school
    Well this is a "restored" TLC sold by HA, I assume that the colors have not been enhanced/saturated (is it even possible to saturate colors non-digitally?):

• David said:
    Lucky you've take one for the team, only men can take the pain and suffering of man 'flu and live to tell the story for his children to pass down through generations and tell of their ancestor's bravery in the face of such adversity...
    My big mistake this sickness season for me was NOT taking a day off of work. I stupidly waited till it was Thanksgiving morning to seek out an early morning "urgent care" facility & pharmacy to get my prescriptions. Butt! After 4 days of meds I think I'm back in track!....

• David said:
    Some great images there...although I agree with my wife that the LC original is better.

Back to PS school
    Well this is a "restored" TLC sold by HA, I assume that the colors have not been enhanced/saturated (is it even possible to saturate colors non-digitally?):

My parents were portrait photographers.  One of the products they offered was a black and white 8x10 or other size that was hand colorized.  The work was outstanding and was done with oil colors applied in a thin layer with q-tips.  Some day I will scan one of these so you can see the level of detail that could be achieved.  My grandfather was a true artist.
  • jayn_j said:
    My parents were portrait photographers.  One of the products they offered was a black and white 8x10 or other size that was hand colorized.  The work was outstanding and was done with oil colors applied in a thin layer with q-tips.  Some day I will scan one of these so you can see the level of detail that could be achieved.  My grandfather was a true artist.
    Some day soon I hope, would love to see it with accompanying schooling of the old photographic processes too.
  • My parents were portrait photographers.  One of the products they offered was a black and white 8x10 or other size that was hand colorized.  The work was outstanding and was done with oil colors applied in a thin layer with q-tips.  Some day I will scan one of these so you can see the level of detail that could be achieved.  My grandfather was a true artist.
    Old school cool!

My Mom had all sorts of gizmos to "blow up" photos into posters she hung around the house.
  • My father's business card.  The Johannes was hand drawn as a signature on every colored photo.
  • FWIW, I found this one of my father that my sister had placed on facebook.  Signature is sloppy on this one, but it does show what we did in terms of colorizing old black and white photos.

• Geeze, how long would something like that take?
  • Fantastic Jay! 
  • We would contract a lot of these out to a small group of artists and then finish up in house.  The artists could do 4-6 a week.  We would spend about an hour when they came back, cleaning edges and adding the sig.

That one of my father was taken around 1960-61 and I would have been 11 or 12.  I am thinking that the sloppy sig is actually mine.  They were starting to let me practice lettering on non-commercial stuff like this.  They had me doing the simpler J as I wasn't ready to do the fancy one yet.
  • Stopped wearing watches decades ago, but wish I had $24K for this one!

A bit less serious...

• Louisiana, U.S.A.

• Meanwhile in Australia at Glendambo.
  • I once had a tee shirt that read

Welcome to Minnesota
    Land of 10,000 lakes
    1,000,000,000 mosquitoes
    and 1 fish!
  • edited December 2017
    Americans are lard*sses, 71% are overweight/obese, but at least they can speak coherent English, unlike Australians or - even worse - Irish  =)

A singing lesson....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9xCr6IQtYqk

• Welcome to Australia.