Skip to content

Worst artwork

I have a feeling there will be a lot of daybills featured here!
Cue BendyMan 

Comments

• Love Marilyn, have a few of her movies on a Daybill, but this will never be one of them :(

• edited September 2014
    Makes you think they were under pressure to pump them out. Hard to think of another excuse!
    BTW that guy on Let's Make Love reminds me of M e l.
    Don't know how this thread ended up in members only. 
  • edited September 2014
    Mark said:
    BTW that guy on Let's Make Love reminds me of M e l.

The guy on the Let's Make Love poster always reminds me of Prince Charles.

Mark said:

Don't know how this thread ended up in members only. 

Well you put it in there [but I've moved it for you now]
  • Well I moved it and it could of gone into a number of places but here it will stay.
  • Dirty Dozen RR. Must be same artist who did MM above.
  • If anyone knows, it would be you guys. Has even ONE of the dreadful 1950s and 1960s Aussie artists been identified?

I like the theory that they were all done by some exec's 8 year old daughter. It makes the most sense to me.

Here is a handy checklist to help tell eMoviePoster.com apart from all other major auctions!
    HAS lifetime guarantees on every item - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS unrestored and unenhanced images - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS 100% honest condition descriptions - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS auctions where the winner is the higher of two real bidders - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "buyers premiums" - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "reserves or starts over $1 - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS hidden bidder IDs - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS no customer service to speak of - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "nosebleed" shipping charges - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS inadequate packaging - NOT eMoviePoster.com

• John Reid tells the story about how some posters were made on his on his blog website, I remember somewhere him saying alcohol may have been a factor at one printer. Here's a couple of the articles on Robert Burton (printer):

He also write about many of the actual artists here (although I suspect these guys were actual artists as opposed to what we are discussing here:

• CSM said:
    Is this poster for real? I mean..really? :-B Oh boy... @-)
  • Bruce said:
    If anyone knows, it would be you guys. Has even ONE of the dreadful 1950s and 1960s Aussie artists been identified?

I like the theory that they were all done by some exec's 8 year old daughter. It makes the most sense to me.

Welcome back Bruce and that's a good question. Although we have identified some of the artists, they didn't sign their work (not surprisingly!!) so it is impossible to be certain. However, one artist has recently been found thanks to Hondo's detective work and I am in the process of compiling a new article on his poster designs. His work is an example of some of the better art during this period.

• Here is another shocker

• I have a folder of awful Australian daybill poster designs and have selected two of the worst examples. 

Henry Fonda to me looks more like William Shatner than Henry Fonda and Glenn Ford never looked like that on his worst day.

Hondo.

• I'm sure June Allyson is wondering who is the stranger in my arms is.

Hondo

• HONDO said:

I have a folder of awful Australian daybill poster designs and have selected two of the worst examples. 

Henry Fonda to me looks more like William Shatner than Henry Fonda and Glenn Ford never looked like that on his worst day.

Hondo.

OK. THIS IS WORSE THAN A BAD FLU ON XMAS DAY. OR BAD SHOES ON YOUR WEDDING DAY. WORSE THAN A COLD SPAGUETTI BOLOGNESA. hehehee

love it

• HONDO said:

I'm sure June Allyson is wondering who is the stranger in my arms is.

Hondo

I think she is wondering if she is looking into a mirror. Both seem to have the same face
  • HONDO said:

I have a folder of awful Australian daybill poster designs and have selected two of the worst examples. 

Go Belmondo!!!

I always thought Maureen O'Hara was beautiful but this design doesn't do her justice.

Hondo

• :( oh boy
  • Dear lawd...way too many to mention...way way way too many.

I'll find some beauties, er shockers a bit later and add.

• I feel sorry for the paper these were printed on
  • Way to turn some sexy chicks into um, yeah, dunno...NOT:

Poor Barbara:

WTF!?:

In one colour is not bad enough, it deserved to be printed in multiples!

imageimage

• From my endless folder of  sub-standard daybill images I have collected over the years the next image to be revealed and shamed is from the co-winner of the ''Worst Daybill Designers Of All Time'' award, that in my mind  shared with F. Cunninghame & Co,.is the infamous Robert Burton printers.

The images were to be likenesses of Marlon Brando and Sophia Loren but look absolutely nothing like them. To me the running man definitely looks like Rosanno Brazzi & the best match for the woman to me would be Mari Blanchard, who had been under contract to Universal in the 1950's.What do you think?\

Just clicked with me that the line on the poster that reads '' Actually they're perfect strangers ..,'' applies not only to them but to anyone viewing the following image.

Hondo

• edited May 2015

The drawing likeness of John Mills on the Dunkirk daybill is like looking to the future to how John Mills would look like in Ryan's Daughter.

Hondo

• edited May 2015

Note the warning then look at the scorpion. Really?

Hondo

• edited May 2015

Before I post another bad daybill design I have removed an image from it of two of the stars and believe it or not the female image is supposed to resemble  a sultry looking actress who is fondly remembered today. Who is it?

Hondo

• edited May 2015
    Either: Ava Gardener, Gloria Grahame, Greer Garson or Lauren Bacall...or the Creature from the Black Lagoon
  • Very funny David.

Hondo

• imageimage

Gloria Grahame- you got it in four David. Before I post the daybill image who is her co-star and what is the name of the film?

Hondo

• Cesar Romero - Prisoners of the Casbah (1953)

:D

David said:
    Cesar Romero - Prisoners of the Casbah (1953)

Actually it is Turhan Bey. The top image is of Cesar Romero.

Hondo