Skip to content

Snipes

I have learned over the years that I really dig snipes on posters.  Makes me sure that it is real and was 99% surely hung outside a theater...

Post yours!

What made me think of starting this thread was that I picked up an interesting poster, quite ironic actually:

Comments

• Oh, I love me some snipes too.
    Got this one from a modern poster I bought to a lovely lady that had a theater at a beach near my city. Text says that the film premiered at the same time that in Buenos Aires.

• This belgian for german film "Girls for sale" (about european white slaves taken to Argentina!!) had a snipe with the theater the movie was shown in

• How about ridiculously badly placed snipes?

• Is that the original position Chris?
  • David said:
    Is that the original position Chris?
    Sure is David...I haven't had the courage yet to attempt a removal
  • I get my snipes linen backed.

And people think I'd linen back anything....pfft!
  • CSM said:
    David said:
    Just an optical illusion then, looks like it is sitting on top of the poster - 3 bottles of un-du ortadoit ;)
  • David said:
    CSM said:
    David said:
    Just an optical illusion then, looks like it is sitting on top of the poster - 3 bottles of un-du ortadoit ;)
    I think Chris is taking the piss. ;)
  • edited December 2014
    Charlie said:
    I have learned over the years that I really dig snipes on posters.  Makes me sure that it is real and was 99% surely hung outside a theater...

I'm glad you people are learning these important things in life/poster collecting....
  • And you really must make this forum much easier to use for us old folks...
  • Another one. Local title for this exploitation was "Charm of carnal love", and the snipe has a slightly different title "Charm of forbidden love"... :-/

• Distribution company snipe:

• One of my favourites. First line of the title is a snipe, printed to match the background

• Great poster! Haven't heard of title or the movie. Had to search it on EMP-yours has better artwork and images than the US OS. Why was the snipe on the poster if the rest of the title was printed in Spanish? :-/
  • Because it was misprinted. Original title is "Lady and the monster" or "La DAMA y el monstruo" in spanish. Somehow they printed "El ALMA y el monstruo" (The soul and the monster)...
  • O.K. Here's a few....

full title change on the Skull.

A nice festive one..

Strip added no doubt by the cinema...

A large snipe added to promote an event...

And this one to turn it into a double bill....

• Resurrecting an old thread!

I picked up this sniped daybill recently:

• Jollygood, we likes snipes here..
  • Are you curious?
  • David said:
    Are you curious?
    Um...maybe?
  • Here's another:

Now I know the film was released in 3D in other parts of the world. Anyone prepared to say that this sniped daybill means it was released in 2D as well as 3D in Australia as well? As a contrast, Jaws 3 was released in both 2D and 3D and had 2 daybills printed properly for those releases.

In truth - I've not received the daybill yet - I guess that may not be a snipe...
  • Perhaps it was simply about the glasses I imagine not all theatres could afford them to provide them to the patrons so the snipe was an option.
  • I saw that movie (in 3D) when it opened in New York City. It was dreadful!

Here is a handy checklist to help tell eMoviePoster.com apart from all other major auctions!
    HAS lifetime guarantees on every item - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS unrestored and unenhanced images - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS 100% honest condition descriptions - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS auctions where the winner is the higher of two real bidders - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "buyers premiums" - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "reserves or starts over $1 - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS hidden bidder IDs - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS no customer service to speak of - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "nosebleed" shipping charges - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS inadequate packaging - NOT eMoviePoster.com

• Bruce said:
    I saw that movie (in 3D) when it opened in New York City. It was dreadful!
    Ha!

A quick search of the OFLC database shows that the standard 35mm print was passed in August 1974 and a 3D 35mm version was passed in November 1974. So I guess that's 1/2 the answer; both versions were released in Australia. The other 1/2 of the answer is whether this sniped daybill is what was used at the time. I've never seen any other style of daybill and it's hard to imagine a separate print being done 3 months after the initial run, so I'm assuming (dangerous habit, I know) that this was how the 3D posters were done. I'd certainly welcome any other thoughts though!
  • i almost bid on the Frankenstein just for the snipe (I've got the poster without the snipe). I saw it in 3D in Adelaide in the early 1980s and, in contrast to Bruce, loved it.
  • I saw that movie when it opened in New York City. It was dreadful!
    Rick said:
    i almost bid on the Frankenstein just for the snipe (I've got the poster without the snipe). I saw it in 3D in Adelaide in the early 1980s and, in contrast to Bruce, loved it.
    I have trouble appreciating some of the finer things in life, like fine wines, beer, and Andy Warhol movies. I am sure your opinion is better than mine in this case, PLUS, I am remembering something that happened 40+ years ago!

Here is a handy checklist to help tell eMoviePoster.com apart from all other major auctions!
    HAS lifetime guarantees on every item - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS unrestored and unenhanced images - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS 100% honest condition descriptions - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS auctions where the winner is the higher of two real bidders - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "buyers premiums" - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "reserves or starts over $1 - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS hidden bidder IDs - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS no customer service to speak of - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "nosebleed" shipping charges - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS inadequate packaging - NOT eMoviePoster.com

• Can't say I have seen much by Andy Warhol, what I have leaves me wanting less.
  • I'm with David...I recently saw a documentary on him, and I just don't get it...I guess I needed to be around at the time huh...interestingly there was an exhibition of his work here in Melbourne not too long ago...hubby and I were walking past the gallery one night on our way to somewhere else.  The line to get in was ridiculously long, and dare I say it...very very trendy!  I think I am too old, and not trendy enough to "appreciate" his art .
  • I don't think i'd ever want to spend the time to watch one of his movies; too many others I haven't seen yet. Heck! I haven't even seen Sunset Boulevard!

As for his art, it was unique, kinda retro, don't think i'd spend money to see an exhibit. ...I did see a Van Gogh exhibit years ago in Los Angeles...now that was something!!!