Skip to content

The Ultra Amateur Linen Backing Thread

13»

Comments

• Right on man!  Keep it up.  So jealous that you are getting to have fun while I am still trying to get my studio going...
  • I was actually going to take this weekend easy and not do any posters, but I have a OS that needs to be backed and you just motivated me to get on it.

Hurry up on that studio bud  :D
  • Well???  How did it go?
  • Pretty good. Still working on the touch ups. Lots of glossy black, so I'm working on the fold lines still. Glossy is such a pain in the ass.
  • edited February 2015
    Backed an addition to my Saul Bass collection. It was not that dirty. The paper had a little yellowing that came out pretty easily. There were some pretty deep fold lines, small paper loss and some pretty tough wrinkles. I've been working on touching up the fold lines but I have two things working against me 1) Its glossy 2) the large negative space makes it easier to see touchups

Before:

Back:

Backed and touched up, needs some more work on the long center fold:
  • edited February 2015
    White must be a hard colour to touch up?
  • Matching, getting things to match is whats been hard for me at least. Especially with glossy stuff. Most pre 70's posters aren't glossy and those are easier since you can use a wet brush with the watercolors to blend but it won't work on glossy since the watercolors dry matte
  • Never had a glossy poster restored, not sure I would bother.
  • Looks great Fernando! I can't imagine how difficult the glossy paper must be. Remember reading when Charlie was working to get the "glossy" look back into the fold lines. Nice poster too! :-bd
  • Hey everyone. I've been super busy but managed to do a couple things. 

Touched up the BLIM and washed and mounted IHW. I don't have any before pics of INH but it was really yellow, the deacidification really helped. Im pretty happy with both.

• So the real reason I got back to work on some posters was that my mom was over at my house a couple months ago and she saw what I was up to and liked some of the posters a lot, especially one of my polish posters. She told me to find her a nice poster for her so I figured that would make a pretty good mothers day gift so after looking and looking this came up on EMP and I though it was perfect for her. So this was the first mexican poster I have worked on:

Poster was in OK shape except for a missing piece that was taped from behind:

You can see the tape that I was able to remove pretty easily with Bestine. It works pretty easily

Only thing I was not able to remove was this stamp from the Dwight M Cleveland Poster Archive. I guess I could have tried to sand it but the paper is already so flimsy I didn't want to risk damaging it any further. Anyhow the stamp seems like a blacklight stamp and you can't really see it anyway. 

I gave it a really good deacidification. It needed it but it really helped it a great deal. Followed by a very light bleaching. Cleaned up and mounted:

Dry needs to be touched up:

Touched up:

Framed. I had the framer use UV but not antiglare since I hate the look it gives the art. The framer put it up against acid free board and thats it. I hope my mom likes it. I've never seen the actual film but I liked the art and the title of the film was apropos. Plus, we're Mexican so then theres that. 

• Awesome work Fernando! The finished product is a great gift, and the poster has classic looking artwork! What year is it from? It looks 1950s from the look of the man's suit. :-bd
  • Thanks, Mark. The poster is from 1958
  • Yes looks great!
  • Mum will be thrilled! I really like it
  • Great work Fernado!
  • Superb Frenando, wonderful gift and such a great job - and the title is fantastic!
  • Great stuff!  Was that your first paper fill?
  • Report back on what your mum thinks!
  • racer59 said:
    Hey everyone. I've been super busy but managed to do a couple things. 

Touched up the BLIM and washed and mounted IHW. I don't have any before pics of INH but it was really yellow, the deacidification really helped. Im pretty happy with both.

I know this is an older thread, but I have a question about the glossy paper, as I have several late 70s/early 80s folded movie posters that need to be flattened and backed.  Did you have to use a different adhesive to mount that paper, or does the standard wheat paste glue work on the glossy paper as well as non-glossy?