Skip to content

Yeah, so, I am watching this..,

Comments

• Mirosae said:
    Just finished binging  Anne with an E . The Netflix version of Anne of Green Gables. Just wonderful, very dark and quite upsetting. 
    You knew the job was dangerous when you took it, Fred  Rosa.
  • @jayn_j  Haha.... quite!  :)
  • Aghhhhhhhhhhh freaking flop... Train to Busan  (Korean).
    I thought I had seen them all (zombies) but this one is a heck of a ride!

• Whooaa, Rosa.  Just from the shot of the trailer, that looks scary.  I'm scared to even hover my mouse near it as it may accidentally click on it.  Lawl.  I've heard that is a heckuva flick.

Nocturnal Animals (2016).  Excellent.  "A beautiful mess."

Commissioned work from Mindight Marauder.
  • Charlie said:
    I tried to watch Nocturnal Animals.  I had to turn it off at that one part because I just couldn't watch.  I read the plot online turned it back on and skipped that chapter.  Still it was a well done movie and I liked the symbology of the book against the real life story line...  Still makes me want to have my pistol under the steering wheel though.

• Charlie said:
    Charlie said:
    I tried to watch Nocturnal Animals.  I had to turn it off at that one part because I just couldn't watch.  I read the plot online turned it back on and skipped that chapter.  Still it was a well done movie and I liked the symbology of the book against the real life story line...  Still makes me want to have my pistol under the steering wheel though.

I know what you mean.  There's a lot more to it than the cringe, though, and such a range of emotions throughout.  Several beauteous cinematography moments, especially the opening scene. B)
  • Anyone in Aus watching the David Stratton doco on the ABC about aussie cinema?

Cracked me up when he got to Turkey Shoot!

• Just finished The Big Heat.  After getting passed the boring first 20 minutes (for me - yeah yeah I know back story...whatever, we know what's coming...), really enjoyed it.  Ford and Grahame are brilliant. 
  • I love the Big Heat. I rediscovered it again a couple of years ago and never looked back. Confess i dont like Ford that much (blame Gilda) but in this one he is just perfect
  • Magnificent Seven (2016): 3/5 a little flat in places, not as edgey as I would have expected/hoped.

Westside Story (1961): 4/5 Still holds the test of time although white people with heavy tans and accents is a little amusing.

Approaching the Unknown (2016): 2.5/5 Another (going to) Mars movie, parts of it felt like 2001 Space Odyssey. Dragged out. Fell asleep toward the end. 

• The Third Man...my first time.  Bloody brilliant!
    Agree 100% and the zither music performed by Anton Karas is superb.
    Well the daybill would look nicely on your wall  ;)
  • Sven said:
    The Third Man...my first time.  Bloody brilliant!
    Well the daybill would look nicely on your wall  ;)

I concur...my wallet, not so much!
  • edited July 2017

Watched Foxy Brown over the weekend...also my first time.

Meh.

• Lucky the poster table doubles as a LC table too. Yeah so I'm watching this.

• Game of Thrones... 
  • Took the girls to see Despicable Me 3...they enjoyed it.

And we remembered why we don't go to the movies anymore!

• ...because?
  • In my case, people talking, cell phones, 30 minutes of bad commercials before the film, people leaving and keeping you from seeing the credits, sticky popcorn floor, price of popcorn.  And mostly, better sound and picture at home.  120" screen, dolby atmos, 65" UHD upstairs, also with atmos, speakers everywhere.  To me, it is worth the 2-3 month wait.
  • David said:
    ...because?

Too much noise and distraction.

Gone seem to be the days of people just enjoying the film.

Granted it is a kids film and I expected some amount of the above, but I swear the adults are worse than the kids.

When we got up to leave, the floor to my right was covered in popcorn from the pair sitting there and carrying on the whole way through.

Surprisingly, (though I suspect this only applies to the kiddies films) the price wasn't that bad.  about $80 for the four of us with junk food included.

I'm with Jay.  In my old age I get more and more grumpy and less and less tolerant.

If I am going to watch a movie, I just want to sit back and enjoy it in peace.  Not talking, munching and carry-on.

Now we just need the girls to grow up so we can get the theatre room back!

• Ahh yes

Be at least 5 years since the last time I went, the two main reasons I don't really like to go anymore
    • Cell phone light from the rows in front
    • The cost relative to the entertainment experience

• I like going after a film has been out a couple of weeks, during the school year, right after lunch...  Usually only 10 people in the entire theater.
  • I agree with nearly every prior comment. I only see 2-3 in theater movies/year with wife. 

But....I grew up with my mom taking me & siblings to packed summer movies. The summer blockbusters! And while they are few & far between, I still enjoy attending the experience of attending a big movie event! Seeing the movie in a packed theater with all the audience reactions is what is envisioned when they are made. 

Ive no clue really, but would guess if people stopped going to theaters movie budgets couldn't make the movies out today....although maybe that's not too bad....back to basics....
  • I agree with nearly Ive no clue really, but would guess if people stopped going to theaters movie budgets couldn't make the movies out today....although maybe that's not too bad....back to basics....
    Well, actually theater sales tend to lose money.  The profit centers are DVD, streaming and television rights.  But they need the theatrical release to get the buzz for those other more profitable sales.

http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/the_hollywood_economist/2005/08/hollywoods_profits_demystified.html
  • I miss Saturday matinees, the Tarzan serials, the whole theatre of kids erupting at every winning action sequence, the excited discussions as we left as to how he was going to get out of the cliff hanger at the end...
  • Serials...geez.  You are old.
  • At least they weren't the silent ones like what Lawrence and Paul used to attend...
  • edited July 2017

Great Aussie film.  Didn't know what to expect going in so, what a great surprise.

Cast were all fantastic.

Then there is this:

Why someone thought it was a good idea to re-make this is beyond me.

The idea of it now being a game show was interesting, cause with reality tv the way its going, who knows right...but other than that...terrible...terrible, but not on the same level as the terrible original.

• Despicable Me 3-late this morning with kids. Very funny in many parts. At 90 mins it was paced well.