Skip to content

The punch to the stomach that is international postage

Hi guys!

I recently broke a long standing pledge that I had made not to deal with Heritage Auctions and threw a few dollars at a couple of daybills that I thought looked good. Hammer down, got 'em for a price I was happy with (even with BP) and I thought things were looking ok for me and HA again.

WRONG!

Just received an email to let me know that my two itty bitty folded daybills have been quoted at just shy of $110 USD to post! Their website doesn't list prices for international, however within the US their site suggests that it would be less than $12 USD to post - so apparently the extra $90 is to...um...well...

Frankly, I have no idea!

Australia Post Shopmate will send it for maybe $25 US, so I've asked HA to let me know how to get it sent there instead.

Comments

• Good old HA!
  • Find someone in the US you can have it shipped to who can then ship it on?
  • edited September 2017
    That sounds like they are using Fedex. I believe for orders under $250 you can request to ship via USPS which should be much less. Worth asking  or what Ves said. 
  • I've recently broken my long-running `don't bid on heritage because it always ends in disaster' rule. Using the postage calculator the postage should come to $24.50 but the invoice doesn't specify postage. I have emailed with my calculation and asked for an invoice with postage included.
    The item is under $250. I won't be paying more than $100 for postage.
    Coincidentally i traveled past their building less than two weeks ago, too bad the item finished this week. I'm hoping for a positive and easy outcome, though I'm not confident.
  • They've come back with a cheaper option - $62! 

So I've asked them to ship to Shopmate in Oregon; at least they'll probably only charge around $30 to post it.
  • Yeah, I recently bid on a couple things from HA...again against my better judgment...it's just one of those things that if you decide to bid there, you unfortunately have to cop the craptastic shipping.

Good luck!

• nearly 24 hours later and no response to my email to HA. Here we go again
  • I stopped paying attention to shipping costs long ago, just put me in a bad mood....

One thing HA does that is vexing is "pushing" payment by check. They make it moderately difficult for buyers to pay by PayPal/credit card.

What they DON'T tell you is that payment by check will delay shipping by two weeks while the check clears. PayPal/cc payments clear immediately so shipping commences immediately too.
  • Oh really?  I actually find it easy to pay via paypal...just set it up as a preferred option ages ago.

I wonder if it is more of an issue for US customers...

• I actually find it easy to pay via paypal...

You had that much in your PayPal account when you bought the Metropolis DB?
  • the shipping department has responded to my email, i've filled in forms and now waiting for the quote. I plan to use paypal.
  • David said:

I actually find it easy to pay via paypal...

=)
  • David said:

I actually find it easy to pay via paypal...

I'm personally travelling over and paying in $1 bills for that one...
  • Hands up the collectors of aussie paper...actually doesn't really matter.

Hands up who would have kept it had they been the lucky finder of the Metropolis daybills?

• Nope...that sort of money pays bills.
  • David said:
    Nope...that sort of money pays bills.
    And pays for other posters!
  • I probably would have kept it.
  • I would have kept it, too!
  • Just received an email from HA - now that they've agreed to post my daybills to the ShopMate warehouse in Oregon, the postage is only $23USD.

ShopMate shouldn't charge much more than that to send it here, so I'm looking at less than $50USD instead of HA's initial $110!
  • Well done. Good result.