Skip to content

Recent hangings...

Comments

• On that note I've also got my SW 3 Sheet returning from Studio C next week (although after being missing in action at LA customs since the 6th May I've no idea what will actually be in the tube - if anything)

So my framer is likely to go on an expensive holiday very shortly!!  :|
    Looks great! Hoping it arrives safely. 
  • If you're not super picky about the framing material itself, one of the less expensive ways to go is to buy the metal frame sections yourself.

metal picture frame sections

You can usually find them in arts and crafts stores pre-cut to various lengths, and they typically come in packages like this:

metal picture frame sections 2
    The individual section kits like pictured above usually cost somewhere between $5-$15, depending on length. The longest I've seen sold in stores is 40 inches, but if it's an arts and crafts store that does framing, they may be able to sell you sections cut from their own stock to your custom length. I've never asked about that, so that part is just a guess. If pre-cut sections like this are available to you, but not exactly the right length for you, you can also invest a fairly small amount of money and buy a hand miter saw like this:

miter saw
    And cut the metal sections to your desired length. If not available locally from arts and crafts stores, these frame sections usually aren't hard to source online. Aside from the frame sections, foamcore is usually cheap and easily found locally, and while not cheap most of the time, plexi is usually available from hardware stores, home improvement stores or just regular old glass companies. In the end, all my long winded yammering is just to say that going the metal frame section route can be much less expensive than a framer, with materials sourced from most metropolitan areas.
  • I know you mentioned the usual US frame sources but did you specifically quote Spotlight Displays?   Since their frames come disassembled and their plexi overlays can be rolled I would think shipping really wouldn't be significantly inflated?

Their frames are not pure conservation but their plexi does offer some UV-filtering and also non-glare.  Just an idea
  • Ahhhhh, leave it to the gumshoe to offer some advice that's actually practical and useful. Great suggestion, Chris!
  • Thanks for the advice guys, I reckon pre-made cheap or home/made frames could be the way ahead. 

I've got the tools and space to make my own, it was more 'the poster pressed up against the acrylic' which worried me. A simple matt could fix it, but attaching to the back of the matt seemed risky. Although Ves's idea of placing the daybill in a Mylar sleeve first sounds great. Now to find a daybill sized sleeve supplier....

As for metailc frames, to be honest I've always preferred the timber look, but that said the Spotlight ones (with a thicker metailc edge) don't look to bad at all.

I did look on their site, but assumed they still don't ship this far 'south'.

That said I could always ship to a US postal box and go from there. 

Again, with their frames doesn't the acrylic rest hard up against the poster? 
  • There isn't much of a concern with the poster touching the plexi/acrylic - rather it is glass where this should be avoided 
  • Thanks for the advice guys, I reckon pre-made cheap or home/made frames could be the way ahead. 

I've got the tools and space to make my own, it was more 'the poster pressed up against the acrylic' which worried me. A simple matt could fix it, but attaching to the back of the matt seemed risky. Although Ves's idea of placing the daybill in a Mylar sleeve first sounds great. Now to find a daybill sized sleeve supplier....

As for metailc frames, to be honest I've always preferred the timber look, but that said the Spotlight ones (with a thicker metailc edge) don't look to bad at all.

I did look on their site, but assumed they still don't ship this far 'south'.

That said I could always ship to a US postal box and go from there. 

Again, with their frames doesn't the acrylic rest hard up against the poster? 
    I got my Mylar sleeves custom made...large enough to fit a quad.  For daybills, I just cut a few into thirds...and put the daybills in from the sides.
  • Thanks Ves, I've got some I can sacrifice! 
  • There isn't much of a concern with the poster touching the plexi/acrylic - rather it is glass where this should be avoided 
    Ahhh got ya, I knew the glass was a no no, so assumed it went for all coverings. 
  • On that note I've also got my SW 3 Sheet returning from Studio C next week (although after being missing in action at LA customs since the 6th May I've no idea what will actually be in the tube - if anything)

Will. There are size restrictions if you used any USPS international services. Maybe that is the delay.  For something this size FedEx is probably the way to go. Anyways hope.ot all goes well. You can get studio c to raise an enquiry with the carrier regarding the delay. Good luck!
  • Sven said:
    On that note I've also got my SW 3 Sheet returning from Studio C next week (although after being missing in action at LA customs since the 6th May I've no idea what will actually be in the tube - if anything)

Will. There are size restrictions if you used any USPS international services. Maybe that is the delay.  For something this size FedEx is probably the way to go. Anyways hope.ot all goes well. You can get studio c to raise an enquiry with the carrier regarding the delay. Good luck!
    Thanks Sven, Studio C sent it using USPS, so assumed they'd have known if it was oversized. They also followed up last week which I think prompt it to suddenly be released from LA customs (after 22 days) and final head out for international departure.

Its currently sat in Auckland (nz) so should hopefully get it after the Queens birthday holiday.
  • Sounds fine then Will!!
  • I don't understand why it would be delayed in US customs?  As far as I know it shouldn't even pass through US customs unless it is being imported to the US?  

NZ customs I can certainly understand though. 

Hope it all all works out!
  • edited June 2018
    I know!! But for some reason it hit customs on the 6th and went 'missing in action' until the 29th (after repeated emails & calls asking what's happened to it?) the help desks said I'd just have to 'wait it out' (a tense time) then suddenly on the 29th it comes back onto the radar, after god knows who's opened it. The next few days should hopefully put the whole matter to rest and I'll have a beautiful SW three sheet to hang! 

• Yes, hoping to see it make it safely to your abode! 
  • Nothing earth shattering here, but since we all like to see pics of posters in their natural, displayed habitat, here's a couple snaps of posters I swapped out this week:

A couple youth potentially going wrong items in the boudoir:

parents on trial and reckless age

These I've probably posted individually or in other settings before, but here's the latest grouping in the poster lair (where the lighting sucks):

poster lair inserts 6-10-18

And lastly for now, a different set of 3 in the Mrs' reading area. Sorry for the challenging pics. The room isn't very wide at all, and the frames are very prone to glare, so it's difficult to get good pics there. Let's take a trip to some jungle isle...

reading area 6-10-18

reading area 2 6-10-18

:):)
  • Fantastic stuff Rock!
  • Thanks, homie. Always appreciated. :)
  • Super cool, love them!
  • Super cool indeed. Especially Adventure Island.
  • Thanks, guys! Yeah, Adventure Island has a better layout and mix of colors. Y’know, ya just don’t see near enough women wear sarongs anymore. ;). Maybe it’s just that I live in the land of camouflage and cowboy boots. Time to head to the islands!
  • edited June 2018
    @Rockabilly Parents on a Train is fantastic!! Is that 1930's? 

Adverure & Love Island are nicely framed! Also, wall paints help posters stand out! :plus_one:

• Thanks, Mark! I was too lazy to get up and look at the poster, so the IMDB lists Parents On Trial as being from 1939, so it just squeaks into that decade. ;)
  • Thanks, Mark! I was too lazy to get up and look at the poster, so the IMDB lists Parents On Trial as being from 1939, so it just squeaks into that decade. ;)
    Nice! Anything 1930s is a nice catch!
  • LOVE Parents on Trial...fantastic, and is that a daybill I spy there?
    Adventure Island is super sexy... :)
  • Yep, definitely some daybill action with Reckless Age. Despite most daybills ending up north of the border somehow, I manage to snag some now and again. :) Thanks for the kind words.
  • Yep, definitely some daybill action with Reckless Age. Despite most daybills ending up north of the border somehow, I manage to snag some now and again. :) Thanks for the kind words.

You talking about that Canadian thief and part-time Igloo builder who races polar bears on weekends?
  • Matt said:
    Yep, definitely some daybill action with Reckless Age. Despite most daybills ending up north of the border somehow, I manage to snag some now and again. :) Thanks for the kind words.

You talking about that Canadian thief and part-time Igloo builder who races polar bears on weekends?
    Just call it how it is...Australian Poster Thief!
  • Matt said:
    Yep, definitely some daybill action with Reckless Age. Despite most daybills ending up north of the border somehow, I manage to snag some now and again. :) Thanks for the kind words.

Just call it how it is...Australian Poster Thief!
    Hmmmm...."Australian Poster Thief"? maybe a role suggestion?....
  • Hey, I just call it how I see it ;)